• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Diagnosed with Asperger's Last Tuesday

Swords

Hello, I am still exploring the online communities when it comes to Autism, and I would just like to say hello!

I am 38, and up until 7 years ago, I was in Academia, as a PhD student, and due to a lapse in my mental health decided that I would drop out. However, I feel like I regret that decision, because it seems that an academic environment is the one that is most conducive to me. What happened after I dropped out, was that I started to work in industry, as a Software Engineer, and I just had a horrible time, I would always be stressed, always distracted by some noise in the office, finding it very difficult to cope with people all day. I just really thought that I was a broken person, an asshole that couldn't get it together. Now, with the diagnosis, it feels like a bit of a weight has been lifted, and I understand better, what my needs are. I have some work ahead of me, as my current workplace is a problem when it comes to facilitations, but I am hoping that I can find a better job soon.

I have come to feel that the best arrangement for me, is to still work in an office, but one that is open to my disability. In many ways, working from home is attractive, because I have so much control over the environment, but at the same time, I am a pretty social guy, and I need that connection on a daily basis otherwise I become miserable after a while. But, I am not 100% sure yet, so I am here to ask questions and get to know what other's have learned.

Regards,
Swords

Last edited:
1707077969010.png

Hello and welcome @Swords.

I hope you enjoy your time here on the forum. Understanding your needs better is a great first step to carving a new and healthier way forward. Learning about autism allowed me to do this after 40 years of confusion.

I worked my career in factories, as a lab tech usually alone could socialize with supplier reps and the supplier experts did not know I was on the spectrum until my mid 50's via self diagnosis.

Glad to have you with us, @Swords

Something I'm sure you have learned is our weakness with social interaction. But something
to note is that everyone with ASD is unique. We share some common traits, but our capacity to handle things is variable, like us as individuals.

Hi and welcome, I hope you will find it useful to be here. I worked in Academia, and had a fairly independent role, which I generally enjoyed and got along adequately in.

However there are some people that make careers there, who are fairly unpleasant if you cross them at all, or even just because that's how they are or like to be.

However, overall I enjoyed my time there, and most of my work responsibilities and duties.

Welcome.

I kind of feel similar to you in regards to working from the office vs remote - that at home I have control over my environment, but I miss the spontaneous interactions with colleagues that made up a significant part of my social life.

I've since joined a number of groups / communities such as this one and that helps with fulfilling my needs to connect with others.

Welcome.

I kind of feel similar to you in regards to working from the office vs remote - that at home I have control over my environment, but I miss the spontaneous interactions with colleagues that made up a significant part of my social life.

I've since joined a number of groups / communities such as this one and that helps with fulfilling my needs to connect with others.
Thank you.

Yeah, working from home provides a great deal of practicality, but can be isolating.

I have started to take classes, as I am an immigrant in Norway, and have to get better at the language. This has been a great social and intellectual activity that happens 2 or 3 times a week. So, it is attractive to work remote, paired with structured events outside of work, might allow the best of both worlds.

It is an ongoing process.

I hope those winters are not affecting you. I was in Norway a couple of years ago during summer. I couldn't sleep. One day I went 48 hours without sleep. Thankfully a colleague had some sleeping pills. Beautiful country. The other way is to split the day, trying to work or have meetings outside home.

I hope those winters are not affecting you. I was in Norway a couple of years ago during summer. I couldn't sleep. One day I went 48 hours without sleep. Thankfully a colleague had some sleeping pills. Beautiful country. The other way is to split the day, trying to work or have meetings outside home.
Winter has always been my favourite season for some reason. Over the years I have lived in Finland, Sweden, Canada and Norway. Cold, dark, and brutal, seems relaxing for me, I don't know why. I also supplement appropriately with Vitamin D etc.

The summers can be a challenge, and what is necessary is blackout curtains, and perhaps even more barriers. My bedroom is pitch black even if it is full daylight out.

Yeah, the hybrid approach could also work, but largely speaking, I think it would really only work for meetings, but not likely to work if I have to sit down and do work in the office.

MY sister frequently works from home I think she is on the spectrum geologist and economist works for mining company, currency trading She has Two come in a few days per week for meetings plus they made her a manager so during covid a management representative had to be in the office for legal reasons. The games they play.

MY sister frequently works from home I think she is on the spectrum geologist and economist works for mining company, currency trading She has Two come in a few days per week for meetings plus they made her a manager so during covid a management representative had to be in the office for legal reasons. The games they play.
I work exclusively from home, and have been doing so for years, I started my current job in June last year, I have never met anyone from that job irl. Fits me perfectly:) In the previous job it was maybe 2-3 times a year I came into the office for important meetings (like in a vip came to visit the office)

My sister wants to retire, they do not want her to keep upping the ante, stock options promotion I guess her being on the spectrum and her rare education is very hard to replace. just before I retired a VP came to see me corporate.
he knew I was the companies secret weapon wanted to get more details on how I did what I did , so I showed him my statistical spread sheet on all the paint suppliers, including my rating of them. he was quite impressed and wanted a copy. Not sure he understands what he was seeing, his previous position was general manager of one of the sister plants. My direct department manager is also a VP when he was rehired after resigning just after a larger entity bough our plant his condition for returning was that I report to him directly.
In my family my older brother myself a younger brother ang sister I suspect are all on the spectrum One thing we all seem to have in common are we were all extraordinary employees.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom