• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Developing a marketplace for ASD artists, craftspeople, and businesses

FYI you then need a Federal tax-ID number as a small business & you need to file taxes quarterly. You also need to incorporate, preferably as a limited liability company to ensure you don't get sued & won't lose your personal assets. This is just the legal side of things & that alone will costs you hundreds of dollars.
No, you need to pay estimated taxes quarterly and file reports quarterly. And the only point of estimated taxes is to keep from paying a grand sum at the end of the year, kind of like how all us average joes have our weekly paychecks hacked to shreds so we don't have to pay a grand sum at the end of the year. Only one tax return is required per tax year barring need to amend, for both individuals and businesses. Also, an individual tax ID number isn't absolutely necessary should they go sole-proprietor LLC. Corp, yes. LLC, optional. I do a few LLCs that weren't required to get their own number.

I also highly advise LLC since the "limited liability" thing offers more legal protection than S-corp or C-corp. =)

This can be a complex topic as each country is different. Small business in Canada only need to file yearly and this I know because I file taxes many times. Also, in Canada, you don't need a tax ID if your sales is less than $30,000 per year. Despite I see your getting us to consider other things, if
Slithytoves in a different country than JDartistic, then the business structure and laws might be very different for Slithytoves country.

Despite traditionally programmers do cost money, there been many products people willing to volunteer their time for free. I do have faith we can find people interested volunteering that believes in our cause. I'm one of those people willing to volunteer

In this case, we should base the business in Canada or another country that has more flexible and easy to manage laws. Furthermore you have to think of how to make money to pay for the little that the site costs. It may be a good idea to charge a tiny percentage of sales (to sellers) to break even every year. In this case too, since all that the company would be doing is moving money around and barely covering it's own operating costs the net return would be close to $0 and essentially not taxable. However, the sellers would have to do their taxes properly based on the country they are from. It is however unclear to me if you want this to be a website created by people with AS to help AS businesses and sellers and would not make a profit in the end. It would not be a bad idea to have premium or other types of accounts with the advertisement mentioned. Perhaps the money made from this could be donated to AS charities, support groups/sites, etc. and hence be not-for-profit. I am unfamiliar with all the laws to become a not-for-profit company/organization and as I recall this might require jumping through several hoops.
I can always ask my tenants/roommates a few questions although this is not his quite the field of his legal practice.

Not to be a downer, but we also have to consider whether there is a market space for another site that sells random articles or services. We would have to work very hard at marketing the site and getting traffic. Social networking is a start but if nothing defines us in particular other than our shared aspieness what will attract people? Further if we only allow users/sellers to be aspies then we are not being very inviting to other people who may want to buy but also sell items/services. It is a niche so that might help. It would be a good idea to advertise it as a site where the customer can support aspies and AS by shopping there but unlike most charities that only ask for money we would actually provide something in return and the sellers (which are aspies) would benefit of course. I can see how this might help aspies start up their own business but the market space issue bothers me.

Unfortunately I might not be of much help otherwise since I do not have website design, implementation, legal, or otherwise skills or anything to sell. But I am still happy to participate, when time permits, and help if I can.

This can be a complex topic as each country is different. Small business in Canada only need to file yearly and this I know because I file taxes many times. Also, in Canada, you don't need a tax ID if your sales is less than $30,000 per year.
Just to ensure i don't confuse people, you don't need to charge sales tax to the customer if sales is less than $30,000 for Canada wise. However, the government still collect taxes on whatever profits the business makes. Cooperation pays less taxes than Sole Proprietorship(Single Business Owner) or Partnership.

Anyhow I'm not going to go in depth no taxes since I"m not a expert. This would be a topic OP would need to research and seek advice on.

Sorry I went AWOL on my thread. Life suddenly and unexpectedly got much busier than usual. When it rains, it pours. It's great to see so many responses. I'm reading through everything right now! :)

Some QUICK commentary, plus a caveat that I have read some, but not everything that's been posted here so far;

As far as the legality of the corporate structure & taxes etc ... & of course this will depend on where the "Marketplace" as a business entity is to be technically headquartered ... but everyone should keep in mind that it seems (& Slithytoves can confirm or not what the original plan &/or mission actually is or will be) ... IF the purpose of the "marketplace' is simply to provide a centralized online location for Aspie (& say neuro-diverse) craftspeople etc... to sell or advertise their wares or services, along with the mentioned advocacy ... the actual marketplace entity may only need to generate enough income to maintain the site.

Some others have outlined what those costs would approximately average per year. The unknown cost would be programming & search optimization etc.. It seems the intent is to hopefully find volunteer programmers from within the Aspie world. Otherwise, as others have mentioned, those costs could get quite high.

If the 'market place' follows the above model & is incorporated in the US it should qualify for non-profit (tax exempt) status which simplifies matters greatly, although whoever 'owns' the site would still need to file the proper registration paperwork, name a board of directors (I think the minimum required is 3 people), track funds for accounting & year end tax reporting (US non profits with revenues <$50K file only a brief 990 notice form). Other countries may have simpler requirements & I'd personally follow the simplest route available.

As others have mentioned, the marketplace will need a well worded & legally binding disclaimer visible on the site, plus hold harmless & indemnity clauses in its agreements with the vendors who set up their 'shop' via the site.

The vendors would be responsible for maintaining their own records & filing their own taxes. Vendors would also ship their goods directly or & collect their own payments.

Customers/site users should ideally have a means of rating their buying experience & also their satisfaction with whatever product or service they purchased. Customers/users should also have a means to contact the "marketplace" administrator to report legitimate troubles with any vendor or seller so that the "marketplace" could either assist with resolution of the issue or even remove the seller from the site.

It has to be discussed (the pros & cons) & pre-determined how much "vetting" or pre-approval of each vendor or seller the "marketplace" is going to do, or not do; and what that process will be.

Regarding the "angel investor", does that person want to be re-paid at some point in the future, or is the money a permanent capital infusion?

Some other questions to think about: Besides the commonality of Aspergers, how will this site be different, better, or more successful than the existing (& numerous) online marketplaces offering hand crafted items & artwork?

These are just some more tangible thoughts to throw into the mix.

The unknown cost would be programming & search optimization etc.. It seems the intent is to hopefully find volunteer programmers from within the Aspie world.

If you can't find someone for those two tasks, send me a message. I wouldn't be able to build the whole thing, but might be able to assist with ideas for inexpensive solutions to those problems. Also, it might be possible to build a very rough, exploratory prototype in a few hours, reducing the number of iterations that the developer(s) would have to do.

FYI you then need a Federal tax-ID number as a small business & you need to file taxes quarterly. You also need to incorporate, preferably as a limited liability company to ensure you don't get sued & won't lose your personal assets. This is just the legal side of things & that alone will costs you hundreds of dollars.

The website would have to be sophisticated to allow ALL of us to upload images of artwork. The model should be based on Etsy or art.com. A template website would Not work bc only 1 administrator can upload images. You'd need to Hire a programmer & he would charge $5-10k for the development of the site.

Not trying to burst your bubble but this is the reality of small business. Again, consider KickStarter for seed money.

If US based, they may want to go the non-profit route ... keeping the 'market place' as just a centralized online location/business to help neuro-diverse craftspeople have a place to sell their wares (& more profitably than at say Etsy) ... the marketplace business would need a tax id #, & apply for non-profit status, but there would not be quarterly tax filings, & the year end required 990 tax form is rather simple.

I agree that the Etsy site looks & works well from the user/customer end. I haven't checked out or purchased from art.com or any of the other similar online marketplaces.

... I agree that the Etsy site looks & works well from the user/customer end. I haven't checked out or purchased from art.com or any of the other similar online marketplaces. ...

Okay, art.com .... that is quite a professional & advanced looking website!! It would obviously be a for-profit run business website, like an online retailer, & I have no idea the economics of how it operates. (Fees to sellers, etc..) I just gave it a quick peek & a quick follow up comment here. :)

OKAY!

I'm going to keep my response fairly simple (though not very short), for the moment. Before now, this has all been nothing more than a daydream; Nadador's idea, actually, though he is far too busy to do this himself. He pitched it to me since I have more time and energy. I decided to put it here to gauge initial support, because if I can't see interest for the project in our own back yard, it's pretty much a non-starter. Now I see some support exists. There is obviously a good selection of minds to get it going, but I'm still concerned about how many potential sellers we have in our numbers. This would obviously be the best place from which to gather our first group, so I need to see we have at least 20 or 30 up front, for a small initial launch.

Let me answer a few very basic questions that have come up so far, from A4H, JDartistic and Epath. Thanks for these, guys. :)

You and your friends (or people you know personally) want to organize a online based store where people on the spectrum can sell their stuff. It this correct?

Yes. Art and crafts in particular. Nadador said he'd also like the site to advertise other web-based businesses (non-artistic) owned by people on the spectrum, and have an ASD education component. There is no clear vision for how those pieces might work at this juncture, but I agree they should be part of the project.

The purpose of the site would be twofold:

1. To create a venue for the spectrum community that showcases our artistic talents, to help change a public conversation that usually focuses on our deficits and ignores those of us who are gifted in areas other than science, math and technology.

2. To assist people with ASDs in earning income from their artistic abilities. Too many people with ASDs are un- or underemployed. Anything we can do to help members of our community maximize their earning power is effort well spent. Note that anyone who works on the project in any capacity can list the job on their resumés and use me as an employer reference.

Who would lead the effort/be in charge?

Frighteningly, that would be me. My name is Jennifer, by the way. I live in South Carolina at the moment, but will be moving to the UK later this year. I'm Harrison's partner. Poor guy.

Personal questions about me may be asked here or in private, for those who would be more comfortable knowing more about me before getting involved.

How committed are you?

As they say about breakfast: The chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. I was still a chicken when I posted this thread. Seeing adequate interest to create the site and some indication that we'd have sellers to start us off, I've now morphed into a pig. Nadador introduced me to my partner. I'm repaying his kindness by doing my damnedest to make his idea real. It might take some time, but I'm all in.

I'm very much about collaboration, not looking for personal glory, and no, I'm not going to be scared off by all of the details. I expected this would be a pretty massive undertaking. If we can do this and make it stick, it could inspire other group endeavors by people with ASDs. That's pretty strong motivation to do this thing, too.

You, as a project leader, or one of them, require some free help from other people on the spectrum. Is this correct?

I would lead the project, but I would need to have a team to develop and run the site. This site would be for the spectrum community, so I figure it should be a collaborative effort from the start. To be clear, this will be a not-for-profit company, and nobody who works on the project at the outset should expect to be paid for their contributions. If we ever got big enough to justify paid employees, they would be spectrum people, with those who help create the site getting first priority for hire.

What kind of assistance do you require exactly?

First, a core working group of four or five people who would help make early decisions and oversee various aspects of the project, managing other volunteers from their areas of expertise. Interested parties can contact me privately with details of what you bring to the table. See below for what those areas are.

We're going to need tech-, business- and legal-savvy folks early on to design the skeleton of the site and the organization behind it. Shortly thereafter, we'll need people who are proficient with graphics and web marketing to make the place attractive, create an image, and promote it to the public. I plan on heading up the effort to get sellers on board and manage customer service, and will need another body to help with that. It would also be good to have a couple of sellers on the team; individuals with experience selling online who could give us ideas for what features we should provide to make us a desirable place to conduct business.The educational component will need a curator or two, and I'm hoping Vanilla would like to be involved with that piece, since she's AC's star resources person and passionate about education.

Once I sort out the core working group, I'll take them off the open forums and we can get better acquainted privately. Our leaders will have latitude in choosing their own helpers, keeping in mind that we should let everyone who is interested contribute in some way.

If it helps, my style is easygoing. I listen to people who know more than I do, I delegate, and I don't micromanage. I've got 25 years' worth of lessons in management and team leadership that have taught me not to be a pain in the ass.

You say, you want to brainstorm the idea. If people are going to brainstorm the entire idea it'll be pretty easy to get lost in the woods. What subject do you want to brainstorm 1st?

You aren't kidding! o_O I admit, I've been overwhelmed by the up-front discussion of business and technical aspects. In my original post, I made the mistake of breaking the #1 rule of asking Aspies a question: I wasn't specific enough. Three of my questions were fine, but "What ideas or questions might you have about a venture like this?" was apparently too broad. I'm thrilled about everything everybody gave me, as it's all very useful, but what I was really looking for, given the current stage I'm at, was:

"What ideas or questions might you have about the basic concept of an Etsy-like marketplace for artists and craftspeople with ASDs, which would also include an educational component?"

I'm used to working with social workers, clergy, artists and entertainers. Those aren't people who get excited about nuts and bolts, so I wasn't thinking. Duh, Jennifer. :p

Does the site inherit its policies from AC or does it have its own?

This is an entirely separate venture, in a different category. It would have its own policies.

Do you have a business plan?

Nope. I can't even call this project "embryonic" yet. It's more like a zygote. There didn't seem to be any sense in starting a plan until I could get some preliminary feedback on the basic concept.

If you are not charging any fees, how are you planning to make money?

The organization will be non-profit and will start out simple and small. If we need money to expand operations, we'll look at that later. I don't know nearly enough about what we will need to speculate on any of that yet.

How will you measure success? What roles and collateral (financial and otherwise) are essential for success, and are they present? If not, how could they be acquired? If so, how durable are they?

All great questions for later. This will all be discussed once the primary working group is in place.

Next? :)

PS: I've printed and organized everyone's posts so far for future reference. All good stuff. Thanks so much for your thoughts!

I you want to be nonprofit, you need a 501(c)3. Otherwise you'll have to pay taxes. I don't know how to go about getting the nonprofit status though. You need a lawyer for that. I'm also not sure whether or not you can have a nonprofit that assists others in sales. You might could do that because it assists people on the autistic spectrum with sales of their goods and services but wouldn't that send a mixed message? To me it would be like saying "We are capable of producing items that others want to pay for, but we need a charity organization to help us sell them". Even though it's not a charity per se, most charities are nonprofits and it's going to come across like that to many people.

I don't see a problem with charging a fee for listing a business. You could charge a fee up front for the listing or you could charge a commission on sales if the person doesn't have the money up front. Only do that if you don't want to go for the nonprofit status though.

Even if you have nonprofit status you'll need startup money. What backers do you have?

What are you going to call it? I like "Full Spectrum Marketplace" because it sounds like you offer a wide variety of goods and services and also the spectrum part is a play on words.

I'd focus on the merchandise and the quality of it rather than the fact that the seller is on the spectrum. You also don't want to ignore it and seem like you are hiding it either. If you place too much emphasis on it it will seem like you are going for the "pity purchases" so you want to find a good balance. I'd say something on the home page about it offering things from people on the spectrum and then have links to a page explaining the spectrum and then have a short bio of each seller and put their dx and severity in the last line. Make it the least important thing about them.

Since you said something about selling services, the general public will probably associate computer and tech services most with AS people, so I'd make sure to have as many listed as possible, and then other things as well.

Are you planning to pay for advertising? If so, what kind and where? Is everyone in the project going to be on the spectrum, or are friends and family of those who are going to be involved as well?

Sounds like a cool project and I wish you luck with it.

I'm also not sure whether or not you can have a nonprofit that assists others in sales. You might could do that because it assists people on the autistic spectrum with sales of their goods and services but wouldn't that send a mixed message? To me it would be like saying "We are capable of producing items that others want to pay for, but we need a charity organization to help us sell them". Even though it's not a charity per se, most charities are nonprofits and it's going to come across like that to many people.

Just quick on this point, there is no conflict with the 'marketplace' itself being a non-profit business -& the vendors being for-profit entities or even individual proprietors (DBA or doing business as ...). The marketplace could meet the US definition & criteria of non-profit for legal & tax status - & have no affect or relation to the tax or business status of the underlying vendors that would sell goods via the centralized market.

If the 'market place' itself grows at some point to be large enough to need & 'afford' employees (as ST/Jennifer described in her last response) it could still be a non-profit just as long as it keeps to its original qualified mission.

The vendors would pay their own income taxes, separately, & would be required to collect & remit sales taxes in accordance with internet sales tax rules for whatever state or jurisdiction where they operate. If any vendor happens to also be a non-profit entity they would be exempt from collecting & paying sales taxes provided they received the proper sales tax exemptions. But that would not have anything to do with the "Marketplace" itself.

All of this is most likely moot though because when ST/Jennifer relocates to the UK the online 'marketplace' may need to be based out of the UK & they have their own business rules & regs,tax code etc...

Thats interesting Tia, I didn't know that. The only reason I'm familiar with nonprofits is because I used to have a friend who wanted to open a church based drug addiction program out of her house and had to get her status.

The only thing I'd worry about with it being a nonprofit is that it could come across as a charity or a social services organization instead of a type of business promotion. It might come across to some people as saying we need a charity to help us sell our products and services, even though that wouldn't be the purpose of it at all.

On another note, since this would end up as an international thing, why not find the best country for a tax shelter type thing and have a friend who lives in that country be a partner and base it from there? Kind of like offshore accounts or something. Whether thats legal or not, or how legal it is, I don't know, but it's a thought and a lawyer could tell you.

Many of them will give you a free consult on the phone before you come in for a visit and pay a retainer. If we have any here, that's a bonus, but if not and nobody has a friend or family member who is one, you could make a list of the questions you want to ask and call lots of different lawyers, with one question each. Of course you wouldn't tell them that you are doing that, just pretend like the one question is the only one you have.

Thats interesting Tia, I didn't know that. The only reason I'm familiar with nonprofits is because I used to have a friend who wanted to open a church based drug addiction program out of her house and had to get her status.

The only thing I'd worry about with it being a nonprofit is that it could come across as a charity or a social services organization instead of a type of business promotion. It might come across to some people as saying we need a charity to help us sell our products and services, even though that wouldn't be the purpose of it at all.

On another note, since this would end up as an international thing, why not find the best country for a tax shelter type thing and have a friend who lives in that country be a partner and base it from there? Kind of like offshore accounts or something. Whether thats legal or not, or how legal it is, I don't know, but it's a thought and a lawyer could tell you.

Many of them will give you a free consult on the phone before you come in for a visit and pay a retainer. If we have any here, that's a bonus, but if not and nobody has a friend or family member who is one, you could make a list of the questions you want to ask and call lots of different lawyers, with one question each. Of course you wouldn't tell them that you are doing that, just pretend like the one question is the only one you have.

Good points. I think the marketplace would still qualify as a non-profit in the US as long as the vendors/sellers using the market place were all auti or aspie (or other disability) owned businesses. The marketplace (the US non-profit entity) would be helping small business - the vendors/sellers - which are technically run by disabled people. The sellers/aka small businesses, although owned by disabled person(s), would most likely NOT be qualified for non-profit status. The seller/vendors would have to pay they own income taxes based on how they were legally set up. And they would have to collect & pay any sales taxes as required.

Of course that is only it is a US organization.

It is a great idea & I hope it takes off. :)

I guess one of the first things to confirm (as ST/J said) is that there is the minimum # of interested vendor businesses who would use the marketplace. AND then, what are they selling, how marketable & in demand would their products be etc... to make sure that all the time & effort- - especially of any volunteer programmers & IT folks - - would be worth it.

If US based, they may want to go the non-profit route ... keeping the 'market place' as just a centralized online location/business to help neuro-diverse craftspeople have a place to sell their wares (& more profitably than at say Etsy) ... the marketplace business would need a tax id #, & apply for non-profit status, but there would not be quarterly tax filings, & the year end required 990 tax form is rather simple.

I agree that the Etsy site looks & works well from the user/customer end. I haven't checked out or purchased from art.com or any of the other similar online marketplaces.

I thought about non-profit, too, but if money is going to someone for their artwork, then that's profit for the artist, right?

I'm not sure how nonprofit would work but maybe there are other ways...

Sorry, Jen. I believe I've sent you headlong into a whirlwind. :rolleyes:

I'd like to jump in on a few things that caught my eye, here. As I am the instigator of the project but only a shadow figure in all of this, I'll only respond to items I feel certain won't step on Jennifer's toes as project leader. Please pardon me for abandoning my custom of noting when quotes are edited.

Furthermore you have to think of how to make money to pay for the little that the site costs.

It would not be a bad idea to have premium or other types of accounts with the advertisement mentioned.

Not to be a downer, but we also have to consider whether there is a market space for another site that sells random articles or services.

Costs will be covered via voluntary contribution, and potentially, grant monies, with a couple of reliable investors to ensure the ship will remain afloat. While I can't be in charge, I'm willing and able to contribute to this particular area of operations. In what capacity I will need to do this remains to be seen.

About premium services, I am determined that this enterprise not ever charge spectrum sellers or advertisers a single farthing. As a purpose of this site is to supplement the incomes of a population that is often underemployed, I don't want to see a situation where anyone gains advantage by having better resources.

Market space is a concern, naturally. We are in fact a niche, and the company will be nonprofit, which may work for us or against us in that regard. We will ultimately rely on the quality of our site and our seller's products, our customer service, and our mission to distinguish us. The lack of fees will hopefully make us attractive to sellers. If we find they aren't enough spectrum sellers to make us viable, I would suggest we consider expanding to artists with mental and physical disabilities, though it would always be clear that the site is owned and operated by persons on the spectrum.

I'm still concerned about how many potential sellers we have in our numbers. This would obviously be the best place from which to gather our first group, so I need to see we have at least 20 or 30 up front, for a small initial launch.

Nadador introduced me to my partner. I'm repaying his kindness by doing my damnedest to make his idea real. It might take some time, but I'm all in.

I noticed the relatively small number of respondents to this thread who might actually sell. Perhaps another, explicit thread to gauge "local" potential is in order soon.

I'm deeply gratified, but you'd better not end up despising me for this, or allowing yourself to be overwhelmed in a year when you're planning an international move. My best advice is to make sure your core team is a good one, and competently self-sufficient in their own pieces so you'll not end up with an unpaid full-time job.

What are you going to call it? I like "Full Spectrum Marketplace" because it sounds like you offer a wide variety of goods and services and also the spectrum part is a play on words

Thank you for a number of excellent questions, OOM. And pleased to make your acquaintance. :)

The points you made about the appearance of "charity" [which I will address in a separate post] have made me re-think the name I was rather determined we would use. I like your idea very much. I'd be interested to hear others, but not quite yet. It's a bit early, and I'm mildly depressed that my choice won't work.

This may be controversial, but I would prefer that all involved actually be on the spectrum, once we get organised. I want us to be able to claim this on the site. Members who know me understand that I have absolutely nothing against NTs, and indeed, find NTs to be a very valuable part of our community. This project however, is, to borrow from American entrepreneur Daymond John, For Us, By Us.

FEEDBACK NEEDED ABOUT "MIXED MESSAGE" OF NONPROFIT STATUS

...(edit) To me it would be like saying "We are capable of producing items that others want to pay for, but we need a charity organization to help us sell them". Even though it's not a charity per se, most charities are nonprofits and it's going to come across like that to many people.

(edit) If you place too much emphasis on [sellers being on the spectrum] it will seem like you are going for the "pity purchases" so you want to find a good balance...(edit)...have a short bio of each seller and put their dx and severity in the last line. Make it the least important thing about them.

These are very important considerations that need thoughtful discussion.

Anyone?

I'm sorry my ideas made you think your name wouldn't work. :-(

Why not start it off small, just build a website and pay to run it and that is all you will have to pay for. Then put each person and their merchandise or services on there and contact information for them. They could place their orders through you but pay the seller directly, that way you stay out of the money end of it, and the seller pays you a commission. That way you don't have to deal with paypal or anything like that, and you don't have to worry about all the money, but you can go ahead and get your site up and running right now, and can expand on it later on.

It wouldn't be much to start and run the site, especially if no money goes through it. If you could get maybe 15 or 20 people to sell things through your site to start with, that would be plenty to draw people to the site, especially if you have a variety of things. Then once you have the site up and running you will have something tangible to show possible investors or sellers when you pitch it. It's much easier to expand something than it is to start up with everything the way you want it.

You could advertise it through FB. You can pay a small fee there and they will promote your site, and you could have the items and lists of services, etc on that page with a link to the actual site.

You could get this up and running within two to three months and less than $300 I think. You wouldn't make anything to begin with except for commission but as your site got bigger you could start charging people to put their stuff on it.

Also, if you got something up and running now, even a small "mom and pop" type thing, then you could probably get a whole lot of free advertisement in April because it's autism awareness month.

Just an idea. Good luck with it!

I thought about non-profit, too, but if money is going to someone for their artwork, then that's profit for the artist, right?

I'm not sure how nonprofit would work but maybe there are other ways...

JD, the marketplace which would be 'run' by ST/Jen & her team would be non-profit (& I know it would qualify,not guessing)

the vendors using the marketplace - the individual artist & craft sellers etc.. - they would be separate individual businesses & they would be for-profit businesses. They would pay income taxes on their sales, & sales taxes as applicable.

That's in the US. In UK they have a VAT tax kind of like a sales tax & other than that I do not know what their business rules & regs require.

The marketplace would be an online central hub. It would still need a location where it is "based".

Each individual vendor (artists sellers etc..) would each be physically based in their own jurisdiction.

I am nonspeaking for ST/Jen but just explaining how the business could be set up & how the US tax code would apply. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom