• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

depression

Hmm. Suicide isn't really a good way to go, I personally think that, and I've read what people have said and that's just not nice. I think things can always get better, I didn't think things would get better for me but they did. It's just a matter of time I guess, wait for your life to become more positive, surely that's a better option than ****ing up suicide and being in pain while your life does inevitably get better but you can't live it properly because you messed yourself up trying to kill yourself.

I worded that terribly..

Oh, and the thing about acting happy but being the opposite. I did that for ages, I hated it too. But I think it's the first step. Positive thinking can result in you actually feeling better eventually I think.

I have some traits of depression, it comes and goes but it depends on what mood or activity I have been doing?

Especially on a very bad day... I would feel depressed but I don't self harm... :rolleyes2:

@142857, i cant see anything bright in my future, i don't know why you think there should be
Hi Mike, apologies for the late reply.

I'm not necessarily talking about some wonderful bright thing that will happen to you in the future.

Think of it this way. What is the thing that makes your life so depressing now? Having Aspergers syndrome? The traits that make it so hard for you to be happy will fade over time, and you will also learn to cope better with those traits, so your life will get better. Ending your life now would be a bit like watching a movie that starts off crap and gets a lot better. If you hit the stop button now and throw the disc out the window then you will have gone through the worst part of the movie for nothing, and missed out on the best part.

I would hazard a guess that you are about as functional and happy as I was at your age. I had a couple of "odd" friends, no girlfriend and no prospect of ever finding one. I had been unable to function at university, dropped out after a few months, and ended up falling into a job in IT at which I was reasonably clever, but I had constant problems due to poor timekeeping, being excessively introverted and afraid of dealing with people, poor organizational skills, etc.

You won't suddenly transition from where you are now into a state of blissful well-adjustedness. It will be gradual, but 5 years from now you will look back and say "hey, things are a lot better now than they were". I know that at any point in my life so far I could look back 5 years and see that I have come a long way.

My life now is not some ideal of never-ending happiness. But it is infinitely better than I ever thought that it could be.

I agree with 142857. My childhood was very bad at times and I often felt like it wasn't worth living anymore. Now though, I'm in a much better situation overall. It's not perfect, far from it, but it's good enough for me.

As 142857 said, if you press the stop button now, you will have witnessed the bad without seeing the good. Don't expect to instantly feel happier either, as it will take time. Once you get to the good part it will be worth it though. 

I've been through this as well, things look eternally bleak mainly because depression saps your motivation. It often takes a gradual amount of positive thinking and sometimes interaction with others to get out of it, as external perspective most often has an impact internally.

I am feeling down lately. I have not felt myself and the last thing I need is being accused of gossiping and being called other names. I need friends and support.

I bet it's mainly because of your WP ordeals interrupting your routine...if that is the case, try treating it as a relocation, an opportunity to bury old [online] habits and create new ones. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom