• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

depression

I think you did not see my post as i intended it.
I didn't misread your post. You are being paranoid. ;)

Okay, bad joke there. :thumbsdown: I wasn't purely replying to your post. It was more a case of relating my experiences regarding the stuff and expressing my own opinions. Sincere apologies if it came across as a criticism of yourself or of your advice.

I have a negative attitude towards marijuana, based on my experiences and the experiences of my friends and family. If you have found a strain that lifts your moods and you don't foresee any long-term ill effects, then that can only be a good thing.

My brother stopped smoking marijuana and drinking alcohol recently after about 20 years of fairly heavy use of the former and occasional heavy use of the latter. He has become a much nicer person to be around. One of his best friends at school started smoking marijuana at university. He was a top athlete and scholar. The paranoia kicked in fairly quickly, he got all his friends to stop calling him by his real name - my brother still calls him "86", which was the last 2 digits of his student ID. But he managed to finish his finance and economics degree, although by the time he graduated he was going downhill fast. He never got a job, and he now sleeps on the floor in his parents' garage with his dog, spending all of his disability pension on marijuana.

I don't have an addictive personality, I've never found it difficult to come off anything. Caffeine is about the only thing I notice any side-effects from if I come off it suddenly, and that is headaches and lethargy but no cravings.

My opinion - and this is just my opinion based on my own observations over the years - is that marijuana is an insidious drug. You smoke it, you laugh, the music sounds funny. You don't have a hangover afterwards, your liver doesn't rot, you function normally for the most part. And yet, from what I have seen, the long term consequences can be pretty hideous.

drinking isn't what makes me depressed, life is

At the time it may make you feel happy but it's when you start to sober up that you feel depressed. I remember self harming much more when recovering from a night out that when I hadn't been drinking for a while. I admit. Drinking makes you feel really good. But yeah.

I was only trying to help lol.

But that's fine :)

Looks like your brother's friend is treating weed like much like an alcoholic would 142857. To be that obliged to obtain as much as he can he must have very some real problems since pot isn't chemically addictive. (doesn't bond in a way that makes the body crave more in it's own right). Now in your brother's situation I'm sure it was more of a behavioral change with alcohol but I could be wrong. People seem to revert to behaviors and memories they learn in similar states, my brother would hang out with a complete circle of idiots when he used to smoke weed and drink, but he does neither now since he realized how dumb people say it made him. This is likely why when depressed and not depressed some people kind of feel like two different people.

I actually was wondering, when you tried it what kind of support system did you have for questions or concerns? What was your starting dose? .05-.2 grams is usually the range I would recommend to someone starting for the first time since they're new to the experience.

I actually was wondering, when you tried it what kind of support system did you have for questions or concerns? What was your starting dose? .05-.2 grams is usually the range I would recommend to someone starting for the first time since they're new to the experience.

I have no idea of the dose, I just kept smoking it until the effects came in. That time was okay. Other times when I was with friends and everyone was laughing and things were really upbeat it was mostly okay as well. The thing is that a drug that requires you to always be in a totally positive environment and in an upbeat mood in order to have a positive experience is not necessarily a good drug. And if you are depressed to begin with...

Most people who use weed are not going to have a good support system around them when they do. More likely a bunch of stoners who think that weed is great.

Alcohol does cause far more problems for society than all other drugs put together, no doubt about that. So I'm not going to argue that it is a lesser evil than weed, and I can understand people's negative attitudes towards it.

For the most part I agree with what you said, but through my experience after the initial phase of 'finding your dose', atmosphere doesn't even matter after you're used to it. It is still more enjoyable to socialize when using it, but it's not like I go into a funk whenever I smoke alone. Usually the biggest mistake people make for the first time is using too much, it's very easy to start using too much. Best to start small and work your way up in 5-10 min doses at first.

I see your point, it's just that I think maybe the alcohol (when you drink it, which I understand isn't all the time) might be making it worse. Not when you're drunk obviously because you feel better, but then when you're not drinking, you will crave it to feel better again, but long term it will affect you health which, at the end of the day, you could do without. As long as you don't start drinking more than you do now, that's a step forward I guess. Just try maybe drinking one glass less each time you drink or something? Gradually bring it down to a more average amount? Just a suggestion :)

I see your point, it's just that I think maybe the alcohol (when you drink it, which I understand isn't all the time) might be making it worse. Not when you're drunk obviously because you feel better, but then when you're not drinking, you will crave it to feel better again, but long term it will affect you health which, at the end of the day, you could do without. As long as you don't start drinking more than you do now, that's a step forward I guess. Just try maybe drinking one glass less each time you drink or something? Gradually bring it down to a more average amount? Just a suggestion :)

thanks for the input willow, i see what you mean, but really, with my college course there is going to be less and less time to actually drink because i have weekly tests, and i **** up enough as it is so college is going first, but the rare times i have that it is possible to drink, i will either get plastered or just not drink

unrelated: photos from my old camera:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2003268&id=1536736022&l=900658d9e0

At least 2 people on WP said that pot is the cure for Asperger's. LOL.

I only smoked pot 4 times. It made me laugh at things that I didn't find funny. IO just listened to myself laughing and wondering, Why can't I stop? This thing isn't funny at all. I don't find it funny, not even now while I'm laughing. So why am I laughing?Then after talking about the same thing for half an hour, I suddenly forget everything we talked aboput and asked, "What were we talking about again?" and my friend said something like "Never mind, I forget too." Even tho I had just saiod something a few seconds ago that was part of the long conversation we were having. Other times, I was unfortunate enough to have taken the sedating kind that makes you depressed.

I don't think it's that simple. No one strain affects one person the same as another. There is no strain that makes you depressed, but there are many that act much like a stimulant in that it causes you to think, sometimes this can induce a panic attack. You must be thinking of a sativa strain, did you feel somewhat of a 'head buzz' after a while?

I don't think it's that simple. No one strain affects one person the same as another. There is no strain that makes you depressed, but there are many that act much like a stimulant in that it causes you to think, sometimes this can induce a panic attack. You must be thinking of a sativa strain, did you feel somewhat of a 'head buzz' after a while?

Well according to many health experts, cannabis can cause mental health illnesses such as schizophrenia and depression. I don't know about that but I smoked cannabis a few months before I started getting more depressed than I was in the first place.

With Schizophrenia it's possible only with a predisposition to someone who is Schizophrenic, and with Asperger's they say we're a higher 'at risk' for it anyway so I am just meh on it. I actually have my own theories that I won't go into for this thread since we're technically off-topic as it is. With depression it's iffy. For example, I have found that using pot will make depression easier to cope with and help put my thoughts back in perspective upon the days after I use it. I find that you can't trust most gov't funded studies these days to be truthful as they are usually quite bias in their involvement.

i have been officially diagnosed with 'secondary depression' can be hard to fight back with daily life you get so worn down fed up everything seems so wrong bleak and like you stuck in a black hole i found keeping a diary in the past helpful to keep track on my moods as rapidly change alot and also proof if things start taking turn for the worse and need 'evidence' of your MH playing up this can be shown and gives you a starting point to go from if too anxious and depressed to say anything alot people 'cover it up' say they fine and try plod on but that can just add fuel to the fire you find your energy levels will drop low self esteem if already got it will decrease lack of appetite or eating alot more that usually do and same with sleeping patterns

it is awful to feel so bad inside but pretend to 'outside' you are happy when actually the opposite going on which true of me like clown smile been painted on i sometimes have to told back the tears i cry at nights when i'm alone i had depression before i was officially diagnosed with AS that really accidentially how my official diagnosis came about long process being referred here there and everywhere but learn't all connected hard to find the 'balance' that makes you feel 'just right'

@smiley1590 i feel the same way, it really sucks to put up a facade of content or happy when on the inside is the complete opposite

i know different types of treatment work for different people i had CBT with CAMHS clincal pyschologist that didn't work as she began to get annoyed and frustrated with my negative thinking pattern and behaviour so hard to break with low self -esteem and depression years of! even medications didn't touch my depressive moods i started off on prozac ( fluoxtine) then went on anti -pyschotic risperdal ( risperdone) and then was on mirtazapine 45mg not trying to be the 'voice of doom' though may work for you! you use alcohol to cope when things get tough,difficult and hard going i use self-harm to do this!

is it wrong not to be scared of death?, im contemplating suicide, i have no access to firearms so i cant just blow my brains out, i have thought of hanging myself just i don't know if that is painful or not. i just hate this pathetic excuse for a life that i am living

Common now Mike, you want to be able to get the full benefits of at least seeing where your money went with the site.

I have heard on the radio this morning that using the internet can actually cause depression. Now I personally think that this may not be all that accurate as far as causing goes, I would think that if you're already depressed to begin with that it can hamper more than help. Might you consider that if you were to curb your internet access down a bit and try to join some sort of hobby or group that it could help? With your experience in computers, maybe you could be someone to rely on in such a group.

is it wrong not to be scared of death?, im contemplating suicide, i have no access to firearms so i cant just blow my brains out, i have thought of hanging myself just i don't know if that is painful or not. i just hate this pathetic excuse for a life that i am living
Mate, I've been where you are.

The thing about AS is that the traits you hate about it - they fade with time. In my case they have faded a lot and I've gone from being a miserable sod to actually being satisfied with my life and looking forward to whatever happens next.

You don't want to miss out on the best part of your life, which is still ahead of you.

@gamers, if the money does something useful then that would have to be the only use for my existence

@142857, i cant see anything bright in my future, i don't know why you think there should be

It's not wrong, it just signifies that you might be depressed. I always used to say that I wasn't depressed...that I just saw the world for what it is. When I do feel depressed and am experiencing an episode, I will say the same. But if I'm happy like I am now I know it's just the depression making me feel that way.

You're obviously going through difficult times. I don't know what to say because you don't want to go on anti-depressants or have CBT.

Try getting some support for Depression and other mental illnesses as Psychcentral.com. I used to use it a LOT.

Mentions suicide:
Just to let you know. Hanging yourself is VERY painful. I tried it. It's not nice and it hurts like f***. All suicide methods fail. When I contemplated overdosing on pills, I did a lot of research and actually got it confirmed by a psychiatrist and my therapist. It won't kill you quickly. They can rescue you very far 'down the line'. If you survive you'll live for days, and it is EXTREMELY unusual for a fatal overdose to kill you in less than 5 days. In which you will spend your time vomiting and suffering extreme cramps in your abdominen.
Seriously. No suicde attempt is 100% going to work. I know someone that jumped off a very high building. He jumped down and hit a BIG pipe on the ground. He was paralysed and in extreme pain for 10 days...before he died.

If you're contemplating suicide you can call the samaritans (search google for their number) or depending on your age ChildLine. I've called it and I'm 15, but I've known 17 year olds to call it.

I am wishing you well during these difficult times. Sorry for telling you about the suicide bit. I'm NOT trying to scare you out of it. Seriously. All attempts can fail. And **** you up for the rest of your life.

However long that is after any attempt, but yeah suicide is hard and potentially painful for a reason: it isn't a natural decision.
Suicide attempt mention:
I've seen a report about a guy that gave up on suicide after I think it was upwards of 15 or 20 nail-gun shots to the head, his wife found him eating breakfast with blood dripping from his head like nothing happened when she woke up after (which I might add is slightly amusing considering, emotional issues and probable pain aside).
*edit* for the above spoiler, I'm pretty sure that the recovery was a pain...literally*

But honestly, I think that you should at least try to attempt some of the ideas mentioned before considering suicide, I'm sure some minor irritations in the future is better than straight-up pulling the plug. Nothing will be easy until the depression lifts, might as well try to quicken it's course.

New Threads

Top Bottom