• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dealing with Customer Service

GadAbout

I just spent an hour on the phone with Consumer Cellular. Now you probably think I'm here to complain, but actually, it was a positive experience.

We had a somewhat complex situation, moving the SIM card from one phone, replacing it with another, and activating a different phone with the phone number from the first phone. I explained to the operator we needed her to be patient because we were both old. We were having problems with memory, visual acuity (at one point I had to read a number requiring both reading glasses plus a magnifying glass) and manual dexterity.

At one point I said to the operator, "I know this is not the most fun call, but it's even harder on us, so thanks for your patience."

At the end, I got her name and user ID and was transferred to her supervisor, where I gave her a glowing review for extreme patience and diplomacy and for successfully solving our issue.

Everybody complains about dealing with customer service and also about how hard it is to be in customer service. If you will speak to a supervisor about what went well, you will improve the professionalism in the field, make an employee's day, and feel good about yourself for doing a good deed. I have worked in customer service (for about 15 years) and those customer reports to supervisors do in fact get taken into account in performance evaluations and ultimately pay raises.

Everybody complains about dealing with customer service and also about how hard it is to be in customer service.

I think this forum gives a skewed sense about everyone complaining as we, as neuro diverse, can really struggle when dealing with issues outside of our comfort zone; however, whilst I do complain when I receive poor service, I also give credit where it is due and regularly email companies and individuals when I've been happy with how they've dealt with my enquiry, or to give positive feedback about a service or a product.

The positive stuff is less focused on sadly as people usually post about a customer service experience when they need to vent, which is always negative - hence the skewed perception.

It's always refreshing to read about positive experiences. It gives a sense of balance which is never a bad thing.

My experience also demonstrates, I think, that appropriate disclosure and requesting accommodations in a polite way can make a lot of difference.

This had nothing to do with my autism; it had really more to do with our being old, and even such a "simple" thing as swapping out a SIM card or activating a line is very difficult. Wish it weren't so!

I just spent an hour on the phone with Consumer Cellular. Now you probably think I'm here to complain, but actually, it was a positive experience.

We had a somewhat complex situation, moving the SIM card from one phone, replacing it with another, and activating a different phone with the phone number from the first phone. I explained to the operator we needed her to be patient because we were both old. We were having problems with memory, visual acuity (at one point I had to read a number requiring both reading glasses plus a magnifying glass) and manual dexterity.

At one point I said to the operator, "I know this is not the most fun call, but it's even harder on us, so thanks for your patience."

At the end, I got her name and user ID and was transferred to her supervisor, where I gave her a glowing review for extreme patience and diplomacy and for successfully solving our issue.

Everybody complains about dealing with customer service and also about how hard it is to be in customer service. If you will speak to a supervisor about what went well, you will improve the professionalism in the field, make an employee's day, and feel good about yourself for doing a good deed. I have worked in customer service (for about 15 years) and those customer reports to supervisors do in fact get taken into account in performance evaluations and ultimately pay raises.

I can be really unpleasant when disrespected, but I will go out of my way to provide positive feedback after receiving excellent customer service.

I usually have pleasant conversations with people in customer service. I worked in customer service for a few months and I’ve had many people yell at me and call me names. I don’t want to treat other people that way, so I make an effort to be friendly.
Even when I’m distressed about something I remain calm and friendly to the person helping me, because they are not responsible for my trouble. I make sure to thank them at the end of the call and wish them a pleasant day.

I usually have good experiences dealing with customer service, sometimes going beyond what is expected of them. Also a few times when it's been a nightmare. I know I've written about a really bad experience on here and had to go upstairs and rant - but it helps get the frustration out of my system.

New Threads

Top Bottom