• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Current book(s) you're reading?

I am reading any Feynman lectures I can get my hands on, and a book called Willpower and semi-reading one called Blink (about snap judgments).

I am reading any Feynman lectures I can get my hands on

I really want to get those collections, if I can find them for a reasonable price. I am sporadically reading math books (but not often enough) so I can be at least a little more prepared when I finally decide to crack open this physics textbook I have had for a while.

I really want to get those collections, if I can find them for a reasonable price. I am sporadically reading math books (but not often enough) so I can be at least a little more prepared when I finally decide to crack open this physics textbook I have had for a while.

An alternative to reading math is watching Khan Academy videos. I understand trig and algebra better than I used to, even though I wasn't bad at it before.

I'm reading George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire 1: A Game of Thrones and Susan R. Lisman and Karla Dougherty - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for Dummies.

I'm reading the fifth Odd Thomas book by Dean Koontz. I'm about halfway through, and haven't decided if I like it yet. The first three were very good, the fourth was slightly less good and now the fifth feels...like he's trying too hard.

The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

The book that stands out of the dozen I picked up yesterday. Been wanting to read it for years and I finally found a nice copy.

I am reading any Feynman lectures I can get my hands on, and a book called Willpower and semi-reading one called Blink (about snap judgments).

I read some Feynman semi-autobiographical books'. I am more impressed by the fact that he does both teaching and research - from my sister's friends doing research work in universities, they tell me research keeps them going, and teaching is just an added bonus.

Other than that, Feynman's humor and clarity in explaining the ideas that come through him make him a real groundbreaking genius in my view. It's a pleasure to read his works.

I read 'Blink' and I am less impressed. I met Malcolm Gladwell in person and I can tell you his writing formula: he tells a long story just by expanding on one single idea, and how it affects people in different ways. I do not know what his own real opinions are from my readings of his works.

I read 'Blink' and I am less impressed. I met Malcolm Gladwell in person and I can tell you his writing formula: he tells a long story just by expanding on one single idea, and how it affects people in different ways. I do not know what his own real opinions are from my readings of his works.

That would explain why I stopped reading…

Gotta stop feeling guilty about not finishing books I've started. :)

Gotta stop feeling guilty about not finishing books I've started. :)

For every Malcolm Gladwell or David Hutchens (another writer just writing in Gladwell's style) book, I suggest reading an alternative book by, or about real masters of their fields.

I am also not a fan of Gary Hamel, but this is material for another discussion, at another day.

If you happen to like business ideas, read Drucker: A Life in Pictures (if you can get this in your local library), I even requested this in my school's Management Library, which they did accept -

Amazon.com: Drucker: A Life in Pictures (9780071700467): Rick Wartzman: Books

Last edited:
Am re-reading "A Short History of World War 2" by Stokesbury. Excellent concise summary. Previously I had finished a good book & picked this one up "until I find something better." ;) Of course now I'm half finished...

Solzhenitsyn is one of my favorite authors. Simply brilliant. I've read "One Day in the life of Ivan Denisovitch" and "The First Circle" by him. Haven't read the one you are reading but I know it's a good one.

The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

The book that stands out of the dozen I picked up yesterday. Been wanting to read it for years and I finally found a nice copy.

"Discipline" by Mary Brunton.

It's like "Twilight" by someone who can actually write!

Robert A. Heinlein (again): Stranger in a Strange Land
Aubrey de Grey, Michael Rae: Ending Aging
Douglas Coupland: All Families Are Psychotic

A Song of Ice and Fire, started recently because I liked so much the TV show, and because I was told each chapter was wrintten by the perspective of a different character.

Sirius-%20A%20Fantasy%20of%20Love%20and.jpg

Sirius is Thomas Trelone's great experiment—a huge, handsome dog with the brain and intelligence of a human being. Raised and educated in Trelone's own family alongside Plaxy, his youngest daughter, Sirius is a truly remarkable and gifted creature. His relationship with the Trelones, particularly with Plaxy, is deep and close, and his inquiring mind ranges across the spectrum of human knowledge and experience. But Sirius isn't human and the conflicts and inner turmoil that torture him cannot be resolved.

Currently reading 1984. I probably should have read this already at some time in my life. I wasn't going to read it but I found it while unsuccessfully looking for a biography on George Washington I own. Good book!

New Threads

Top Bottom