• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cross stitch advice needed

Hi I am an avid cross stitcher and would say, it depends on the thread. It is stranded cotton or is it wool? If stranded cotton, probably three strands and if wool, one strand, since wool is thicker than cotton.

Hi I am an avid cross stitcher and would say, it depends on the thread. It is stranded cotton or is it wool? If stranded cotton, probably three strands and if wool, one strand, since wool is thicker than cotton.
Hello that's really helpful thank you its thread not wool I am using thanks

I usually buy cross stitch kits that contain instructions, the different colored threads, the fabric, and the template for the pattern. Different stitches often require different numbers of threads. I'm not creative or artistic enough to design my own patterns from scratch.

Some tips I've learned: if the print on the template is too small to easily read, then I enlarge the template on a copier machine to make it easier to read. I use a highlighter marker to color each row on the paper template when I complete it, so I'll know where I am on the pattern and where to start the next row. I always use a hoop to securely hold the fabric.

@Suzanne has done some fantastic creative projects. Please post some more pictures for us, Suzanne!

I didn't know there were different thread counts for different projects. I often do cross stitching or embroidery the "thread saver" method, where one pulls only two threads off of the main embroidery floss skein so that it can be used without buying more, for a longer period of time.
I'm not so creative, so only buy packages with fabric, instructions and thread - the instructions usually states how many sub-threads it should be divided in, I just follow it blindly :)

I bought cross stitching kits awhile back and I want to start working on them. But I don’t know where am I supposed to start the pattern if there is no print on the cloth?

I bought cross stitching kits awhile back and I want to start working on them. But I don’t know where am I supposed to start the pattern if there is no print on the cloth?
Usually there is an indication of the middle, then it's just a question of counting :)

I usually buy cross stitch kits that contain instructions, the different colored threads, the fabric, and the template for the pattern. Different stitches often require different numbers of threads. I'm not creative or artistic enough to design my own patterns from scratch.

Some tips I've learned: if the print on the template is too small to easily read, then I enlarge the template on a copier machine to make it easier to read. I use a highlighter marker to color each row on the paper template when I complete it, so I'll know where I am on the pattern and where to start the next row. I always use a hoop to securely hold the fabric.

@Suzanne has done some fantastic creative projects. Please post some more pictures for us, Suzanne!
Thank you,I bought a printed kit of the new York skyline in 10 ct but it had no guide on how many strands however I started with 2 strands and it looks good

You have to find the center of the fabric. I fold the fabric in two, then fold it again. The center of the fabric will be where the four pieces meet. Always start at the center of the fabric and work your way out in all four directions from the center.

It's called "counted" cross stitch because you have to count the holes as you go.

So is using a hoop the best way to do cross stitching on a canvas? I have one that I could use when I begin my project. Also the directions mentioned about color bleeding and how red is the most prone to this. My kit doesn’t have any red in it but it does have different yellows, greens, purples, and black in it. Should I colorfast any of them? And do I do each color individually or can I do all of them in the same container?

So is using a hoop the best way to do cross stitching on a canvas? I have one that I could use when I begin my project. Also the directions mentioned about color bleeding and how red is the most prone to this. My kit doesn’t have any red in it but it does have different yellows, greens, purples, and black in it. Should I colorfast any of them? And do I do each color individually or can I do all of them in the same container?
You can do it anyway you like - what is most easy is probably depending on the motive - if you do one color at a time you need to be pretty sure you are counting right, as it might be harder to spot a mistake, I usually at least try to finish one thread in a given color at a time.

It is a lot easier to use a hoop because that allows you to keep even tension (or stretch) on the fabric so your stitches will be all the same size. I've done kits with thread that wasn't colorfast, and I kept each color separate when I dunked the thread in water and when I let them air-dry so they won't "bleed" onto each color. Just make sure you know what each color is and don't get them confused.

Another thing is to always make sure your hands are clean when you work so dirt and oil won't get on your fabric.

I keep my cross-stitch project in a large Ziploc bag so I can take it with me to work on when I know I'm going to be stuck waiting somewhere like a doctor's office. I'd rather do cross-stitch than read the nasty old magazines in waiting rooms.

It is a lot easier to use a hoop because that allows you to keep even tension (or stretch) on the fabric so your stitches will be all the same size. I've done kits with thread that wasn't colorfast, and I kept each color separate when I dunked the thread in water and when I let them air-dry so they won't "bleed" onto each color. Just make sure you know what each color is and don't get them confused.

Another thing is to always make sure your hands are clean when you work so dirt and oil won't get on your fabric.

I keep my cross-stitch project in a large Ziploc bag so I can take it with me to work on when I know I'm going to be stuck waiting somewhere like a doctor's office. I'd rather do cross-stitch than read the nasty old magazines in waiting rooms.
So work wearing gloves? I have access to nitrile and cotton gloves.

New Threads

Top Bottom