• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clothing Preference?

AGXStarseed

Just wondering, did anyone ever have a preference for certain clothes?

For me, my preference is wearing a hoodie - preferably a zip-up hoodie as these are easier to get off if I start getting too hot.
My preference started when I was younger: my family's old house wasn't in an overly nice neighborhood - it wasn't really bad but had its moments. When I got older, I occasionally got sent out to walk to to the nearby shops to collect a few things such as milk and bread, but I would get nervous as there was always a fairly large group of kids hanging around outside.
Although I was probably older then some of the kids hanging around, I was still cautious - especially as one time when I was in the shop paying for what I'd been told by my parents to get, one of the kids came in and ran out after grabbing a bottle of what I think was vodka.

As such, one time when I went to the shops I decided to put a hoodie on that I'd been bought recently, as most of the kids outside wore hoodies and so I was 'blending in', so to speak.
I straight away felt more comfortable as I didn't stand out so much - with me wearing the hood up while outside the shop but taking it down when inside so as not to spook the other shoppers (as young people wearing hoodies have a bad reputation in the media here in the U.K).
Ever since then, I've developed a bit of a fondness for wearing hoodies and I have a few different ones - with my favourite been a black hoodie with a red dragon design as I do feel quite self confident when I wear it (especially thanks to my love of dragons).

So do you guys have any clothing you prefer to wear for whatever reason?

I wouldn't say I have a specific set that I wear daily, but I do react badly whenever I'm expected to wear something I don't want to wear. And that includes anything for "formal" events or uniforms for work. I guess I feel more like I have to be in the mood or so for it, rather than the notion of being forced (or told) that I need to dress in a certain way.

I've had plenty of arguments over clothes, but I've often ended up with pointing out that they should be glad I'm willing to wear clothes at all and not decide to go all naked or something, rather than bother me over something as silly as dressing up in a way someone else wants me to.

But I guess it's because I have a bit of a history over clothing issues back in high school as a teen where I don't have any interest at all for someone to tell me how to dress. I also guess it's much like dressing up a monkey when someone would tell me what to wear.

Honestly, thinking about clothes and outfits and such, I'm getting increasingly irked over how law is beginning to dictate what one can and can't wear.. apparently masks or any type of cover up of the face is a big issue, because, as people point out "no one can recognize you"... that's exactly why I like to wear it (to hell with surveillance)... well, that, and that I like masks and all kinds of stuff to (partially) cover my face. I'm already having similar issues with shades, which I'm partially wearing because some sensory issues

If I have my druthers, no clothes but, that isn't very practical most of the time. I like snug but comfortable shorts or pants and baggy or loose fitting tops. At 34 D, to not have squished boobs sort of requires the rest of the top to be loose fitting or baggy.

I like my shades, just habit to wear them when I go out, even if it's a cloudy day. I don't feel ready for the public outdoors without them but, I would be fine sensory wise if I didn't wear them.

My Aspie superhero uniform involves jeans, t-shirt, and ballcap.

I am a 24/7 barefooter (all four seasons ) both outdoors and indoors, but I wear comfortable sneakers when running errands or on appointments.

My Aspie superhero uniform involves jeans, t-shirt, and ballcap.

Same here. I think I wear the ballcap as a sort of disguise so I maybe wouldn't be recognized in public if I was to ever encounter any number of people who I was bullied by while I was growing up.

I wear almost the same thing every day all year round. I wear leggings, a skirt, a v-neck long-sleeved t-shirt, boots, and a hoodie if the weather is cool enough. Sometimes I switch up shirt or skirt colors, but I generally wear all black all the time. Former goth kid, yo.

I wore business causal stuff throughout high school. I had been bullied all of my years growing up before that. One year I changed schools and had that opportunity to reinvent myself, so I had my grandma buy me a bucketload of collared shirts and black pants the summer before. I wasn't intentionally thinking it would change other kids' perception of me - I was convinced that it would make me stand out even more and be more of a target, but the opposite occurred. At the new school, I was seen as the eccentric genius and I had a group of friends and acquaintances who frequently came to me for homework help. Nothing more than that, nothing like emotional bonding or close friendship, but at least respect.

I don't do it much anymore, even though I still enjoy the style and see it as the most authentic expression of myself, clothing-wise. I find that I feel too disconnected from my body to care or see any merit in even trying. Now I just wear t-shirts that I got for free from random events.

I wore business causal stuff throughout high school. I had been bullied all of my years growing up before that. One year I changed schools and had that opportunity to reinvent myself, so I had my grandma buy me a bucketload of collared shirts and black pants the summer before. I wasn't intentionally thinking it would change other kids' perception of me - I was convinced that it would make me stand out even more and be more of a target, but the opposite occurred. At the new school, I was seen as the eccentric genius and I had a group of friends and acquaintances who frequently came to me for homework help. Nothing more than that, nothing like emotional bonding or close friendship, but at least respect.

When I first started in my career at the job where I work for someone else (separate from my concurrent self employed career), for about 3 years I wore white shirts, tie, dress pants, and dress shoes. I went on a vacation to Florida, and when I came back I didn't see the need for that anymore, so I wore jeans, and tennis shoes to work. That was 27 years ago, and I haven't touched the dress clothes once since then.
I can relate to the respect part. When I would go to the grocery store, or Wal-mart, etc., people would have a totally different attitude towards me, as opposed to when I went in jeans. I also got a lot of people asking where stuff was at because they would think I was the manager at whatever store I happened to be shopping at.

Blue jeans,black pocket t-shirts and black work boots for three decades now. My scooter trash lifestyle dictated a bit of my fashion sense that goes quite well with my gypsy leather.
The black shirts give me a sense of power and my dress is much like that of Einstein,simple but predictable.
I have dress t-shirts that are black,no pockets with printed things on them,but reserved for special occasions.

I've always been a tomboy and I live in jeans, T-shirts and trainers. I've always hated shirts and dresses. I don't like the kind of formal clothing females are expected to wear at interviews and in offices, though blouse and trousers are usually ok. My biggest problem is with footwear - I can't stand high heels. To me they feel more like torture devices than footwear! Also, I hate pink and yellow.

I generally always wear jeans (other trousers just feel uncomfortable, weird or both), a t-shirt (my current favourite one is one that states 'I find people confusing' because I like to have that stated :D), and then I prefer to wear something over my t-shirt at all times, as without that something just doesn't really feel right. I have a hoodie I wear whenever I'm able to (the problem with the weather being warm at the moment is this is more difficult, but if I balance out the comfort with that against the temperature then generally the hoodie wins), but if not then a shirt of some variety. I have a pair of boots I always wear if I go outside (I don't get owning multiple shoes unless there are functional differences XD).

I get your point about the blending in. Generally once I have my hoodie and jeans as my outfit then it feels like I'm a bit more invisible around places, which is a bit reassuring.

when I was dating my Aspie friend, he wore a plaid or flannel shirt every single time I saw him (except at the gym) during a four-month span. I noticed it right away, after a couple weeks. it was one of my favorite things about him. :)

Jeans, good quality well worn leather boots, t-shirt.
I have a few favorite things that i have had for decades

like my dust blue sweatshirt with the coolest art print
on the back in white, it has holes worn through in the sleeves
perfect for hooking your thumbs through, I will have to post
a pic of me in it one day.
my red/black flannel shirt and my denim shirts.
I like stuff that looks good in a scruffyish way but ya can still run in
if you need to.

Here I will go on record to say publicly----yesterday was one of the days
when I wasn't wearing long underwear. I only had to wear one layer of
clothing, all over. (Well, 2 pairs of socks.)

Cotton. Pants, t-shirt.
Dark blue, black. And black scarf on my head....because it's never 110 degrees here, so
when would I get to go bareheaded?

Last week was more usual. Two sweat shirts over a long sleeved shirt.
Cotton long underwear under pants. One day, sweat pants over that.
It is summer now. Winter, I wear more than that.

Here I will go on record to say publicly----yesterday was one of the days
when I wasn't wearing long underwear. I only had to wear one layer of
clothing, all over. (Well, 2 pairs of socks.)

Cotton. Pants, t-shirt.
Dark blue, black. And black scarf on my head....because it's never 110 degrees here, so
when would I get to go bareheaded?

Last week was more usual. Two sweat shirts over a long sleeved shirt.
Cotton long underwear under pants. One day, sweat pants over that.
It is summer now. Winter, I wear more than that.
Yikes! I'm sweating just reading your post :eek:

I've always been a tomboy and I live in jeans, T-shirts and trainers. I've always hated shirts and dresses. I don't like the kind of formal clothing females are expected to wear at interviews and in offices, though blouse and trousers are usually ok. My biggest problem is with footwear - I can't stand high heels. To me they feel more like torture devices than footwear! Also, I hate pink and yellow.

I am okay with pink sometimes, but I also hate yellow. I swore off high heels 15 years ago and never looked back. I'm only 5'0" so people always think I'd want to wear them, but OH GOD NO, you couldn't pay me to, not even for five minutes.

I hate formal/business clothes for women. That's part of why I'm glad that I don't work anymore because I don't have to worry about it. I had a job as a receptionist and I had to dress up because I was at the front desk, but pretty much everyone else got to wear jeans to work. UGH. I got paid less and I had to dress better.

I prefer loose fitting cloths, could almost live in my pj shirt and shorts during the warmer months, flannel pjs during the winter. for work its a t shirt and jean or jean shorts, I wear a flannel overshirt that isnt buttoned up over the t shirt when its cooler/cold out, never wear undercloths as I dont like how they feel and make me itchy. I absolutly hate dress cloths and anything tight fitting. I also live in a ball cap most of the time, both to shield my eyes from the bright sun light to covering up my usualy messy hair.

I wear jeans, t-shirts and hoodies quite a lot, just because they're so simple and comfortable. I like them to be made of something soft and solid, like cotton. I don't like anything too tight, clingy, thin or silky. A few days ago I needed some new pajamas so I tried some on at the store but didn't like them because they felt too 'silky' or 'satiny.' I don't know what they were made of (all polyester?) but they weren't comfortable. The low cuts on the shirts were awkward for pajamas, too. I ended up buying somewhat more expensive pajamas that were more simply designed and made of 60% cotton and 40% polyester. They're much more comfortable.

I wear almost the same thing every day all year round. I wear leggings, a skirt, a v-neck long-sleeved t-shirt, boots, and a hoodie if the weather is cool enough. Sometimes I switch up shirt or skirt colors, but I generally wear all black all the time.

Hi BlueConundrum: do you have a favorite skirt you recommend? I have trouble finding one that looks right, but if I could, this is all I would ever wear.

New Threads

Top Bottom