• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

cant swim

I don't think I could swim until about the age of 13. I couldn't deal with water in my eyes, I absolutely hated being submerged in water. I wasn't until I found a snorkel mask whilst on holiday with a friend that covered my nose and eyes tightly that I was confident with trying to swim. So I learnt to swim underwater first.

I don't think I could swim until about the age of 13. I couldn't deal with water in my eyes, I absolutely hated being submerged in water. I wasn't until I found a snorkel mask whilst on holiday with a friend that covered my nose and eyes tightly that I was confident with trying to swim. So I learnt to swim underwater first.
I first learned to swim on my back for the same reason.

I didn't learn to swim until I had lessons when I was 12. I still am not a good swimmer. I absolutely refuse to put my head underwater at any time, too because I can't breathe underwater... Why would I put my head, that has my nose attached to it, the thing I breathe through, somewhere where I can't breathe?

I didn't learn to swim until I was 8 years old. Before that, I never liked putting my head underwater, One day, my swim instructor lowered me at the deep and I had to tread water to stay afloat. Because my BMI was so low. It took a tremendous amount of effort, just to keep my head above water. So I started bobbing instead. I would tread water while taking a few deep breaths and then I would hold my breath and just sink to a rested state underwater, and when I needed to come up for air, I would swim back up and repeat the cycle all over again. Bobbing help me get good at holding my breath for a long time and eventually lead me to getting into freediving.

I know the basics and had lessons around age 12, but I can't do it 'properly' for any distance mainly because I never learnt how to breathe 'properly' without taking a mouthful of water instead.
I also remember being hassled by my primary school teacher because I had to wipe the water off my face each time it got wet. I never worked out how not to get stingy water in my eyes, nose and mouth without doing so.

I can't swim either. I took lessons when I was 6 and I was too scared to get in the water. Then years later, I took lessons again, and I learned to kick with my hands holding onto the side of the pool, but I was too scared to let go and couldn't manage to actually float. I'm terrified of drowning.

I can swim, I grew up in Australia, which is the type of country where it is almost mandatory to learn to swim.

I grew up in the same country, and I don't know what you are talking about.
Back in the 1980's I'm sure it was in the school curriculum. I suppose it could have been different if you didn't live in a costal town like Perth or Fremantle. Swimming was definitely one of the most popular sports and I honestly can't think of a single person I knew in school who couldn't swim.

New Threads

Top Bottom