• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you "turn off" your emotion?

My mind seems to automatically hide my emotions from me until they can't be hidden anymore and I am in a safe secluded place. I rarely meltdown in public, because even if I feel like screaming and crying, I can usually shelve it for later. On the down side though, I often have to play emotion detective to find out what originally upset me, which in the worst case scenario, could have been weeks ago. I also can't let this go on for too long either, or my spoons gauge starts going down.

Well I have to do that when I feel overwhelmed.... but sometimes I do that in a ways like .... I feel the feel and then I think "Woa whou not I cant feel this " And its like a switch for the sound , and it turns down our it gets more controled. nbut sometimes I do this uncoscionasly. I can control my emotions ,its like when people say , "oh you cant chose the person you love " for me that´s a lie becouse I can fall in "love" and if I want to , I cant unfall in love as weel ... reason controlls emotions.
Well some of them .

for me, logic trumps emotion most of the time. even when an emotional response would be a logical response, i'm more curious about the logic behind that emotional response. that's not to say i won't occasionally have an emotional response to something but usually it's only when i get so focused on a movie or show (only time it really happens) and i start relating my own wants/needs to a character and basically treat myself like that character.. and then they die or their wife/husband dies (doesn't matter if the character is a girl or lesbian or a cartoon bear, i just go by wants/needs/mindset... logic stuff lol) i'll pretty much be destroyed for the rest of the day if not longer. but otherwise, in person it's just logic. and most of the time with TV i'm just wondering why the character didn't do X instead of Y

No, I can not pay attention or zone out but I think overall I am a very emotional person whether I show it or not.

yes, i can but i sometimes wonder how much of a good idea it is. appearing to be cold is what it takes to save a situation, so I asked people here what their opinions / experiences of it is, and i followed the idea of acting, to seem ... "normal" while i am actually emotionless.

New Threads

Top Bottom