• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you read faces?

i've watched lots of autistic youtubers, most seem to have subtle facial expressions, i can't make them, i can try to fake them, but i don't think they come out ok most of the time, i don't know if that means their autism is 'lighter'.

I think it is not something that comes naturally to many people, but it is a skill that can be learned. I worked with children with behavior problems for several years and I learned so much for myself when I was using tools to help them identify emotions. I do realize these tools are meant for children, but as an adult, they were very beneficial to me.

We would use cards like this:

5db99c08da69f89e28ce9cc2e2d94226.jpg

I found images of real people (rather than cartoons) to be most helpful. But, no matter how much I learned, it still seems like there is a good amount of guessing that takes place. Context clues are important for understanding someone else's emotions. Asking them how they are feeling is helpful to me as well. Familiarity with a particular person helps, too.

There seems to be a lot of resources to teach about facial expression, including software.

I don't have problems with most facial expressions, but it seems that I compensate by reading the entire body. I tried to do the test in which you have to guess the feeling by looking at eyes. I had to answer at random. I can't do it. But I can read the entire person.

What I'm trying to say is that you may have other skills that compensate with problems reading faces. I have problems recognizing people or remembering faces that I don't see often.

There seems to be a lot of resources to teach about facial expression, including software.

I don't have problems with most facial expressions, but it seems that I compensate by reading the entire body. I tried to do the test in which you have to guess the feeling by looking at eyes. I had to answer at random. I can't do it. But I can read the entire person.

What I'm trying to say is that you may have other skills that compensate with problems reading faces. I have problems recognizing people or remembering faces that I don't see often.
Same

New Threads

Top Bottom