• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can u hold a job?

I am a private language tutor, translator and proof reader. I always had difficulties working in an office environment or a school, and now I do individual tuition and work from home. I would say, see where your son's interests and abilities lie, and encourage him in that direction. People with ASD are typically not so good at trying to do jobs they aren't interested in, but very successful at those that they are passionate about.

I have never had a problem with jobs and I think that I know why. I have always worked at a job that has to do with my special interest and I have always worked alone. I know that we are all different, but this seems ideal for Aspies. It worked for me.

I haven't had a job now for a few years due to ill mental health and most likely, poor executive functions. When I did work it was hard, I could do the work but afterwards I just wanted to be alone, couldn't spend any time with friends, just wanted isolation to recuperate for the next day of gruelling, dull work.

Hi all, Does that mean I can expect that he will b living home with us because he may not b able to hold a job n live independently?

Hi all, Does that mean I can expect that he will b living home with us because he may not b able to hold a job n live independently?

On what are you basing those conclusions?

Most of the posts I see in this thread indicated
that people were working. Living situations vary.

He needs to understand his limitations and choose carefully the job he gets. Unfortunately, this limits his options for employment. But that just goes with being on the spectrum. I have entered job environments in witch a simple thing like a flickering light or a high pitch sound can make it impossible for me to work in and your employer may be unaware that there are even issues in the first place.

The employment statistics for people with asperger's would certainly support that gloomy supposition.

But everyone is different. If by some miracle your son can get out of his depression and apathy, then he probably can be become capable of living and working independently. I never could, but maybe he will be able to find a way out of it, particularly with support.

I really struggled with college, have had issues with anxiety, depression and motivation, but I have always been employed since I was 17. Thankfully my interests have provided me with skills, knowledge and expertise that have led to a 21 year "career". Housing has been an odd mix since I moved from home (my mom moved out of state after my dad died). I've moved a lot since then, lived in my work studios, but eventually bought a house when I was in my mid-thirties. It's a bit of a wreck, but I've been slowly renovating it.

I've been a nurse for almost 4 years and have worked in 5 (!!!!) different facilities. I've been a director of nursing, a regular floor nurse, a unit manager, a nurse doing mostly office stuff (medical rec), but now I've found a facility that I feel comfortable with. Or I've grown up and learned how to better navigate the social aspect... The point is, just keep trying to find a job he will feel good about. Think about his special interests and start there. I'm obsessed with being able to assess and predict patient's illnesses and probable outcomes, which is morbid but very useful in my line of work. I don't know where this rant is going but bottom line, keep trying.

I have no problem with holding down or finding a job, at least not due to being on the spectrum. As far as your son, it will depend on where he is on the spectrum, what his strengths and weaknesses are, how he handles pressure, and probably more than anything else, his personality and the type of job. Does he have an interest in a particular field of work (art, math, science)? If so I would push him in that direction, trades are good if he isn't sure what he wants to do yet.

@shannon thanks for ur input - he has no interests unfortunately- that's my concern- not much brings him true happiness- the only time he really seems to laugh n hv fun is on his PlayStation - and he is ALWAYS just watching silly videos or playing games in his phone - he applied to two stores online two weeks ago with no responses yet.

No, like 80-90% of aspies, I cannot hold a job.

It's 50%, not 80-90%, and arguably because of the social script of working in a cube farm or factory, which are horrible for just about everyone, not just us. A lot more people would be self-sufficient if more support networks for alternative ways of making money were in place and more easily accessible.

@shannon thanks for ur input - he has no interests unfortunately- that's my concern- not much brings him true happiness- the only time he really seems to laugh n hv fun is on his PlayStation - and he is ALWAYS just watching silly videos or playing games in his phone - he applied to two stores online two weeks ago with no responses yet.

Two things:

1. Have you had him screened for clinical depression or anxiety? It sounds like there might be something deeper going on that can't just be willed away.

2. Two applications is nowhere near enough for a kid just starting out. If you rule out or address a clinical issue, then work with him to seek out something meaningful to do with his time. Get him into activity groups or volunteering. If you can't get him doing things outside the house, then put him to work within the house. It's actually less "cruel" in the long run to push him to do these things, otherwise he will be wholly dependent on you for the rest of your life. He will live up, or down, to the expectations you set for him.

It's 50%, not 80-90%, and arguably because of the social script of working in a cube farm or factory, which are horrible for just about everyone, not just us. A lot more people would be self-sufficient if more support networks for alternative ways of making money were in place and more easily accessible.

Two things:

1. Have you had him screened for clinical depression or anxiety? It sounds like there might be something deeper going on that can't just be willed away.

2. Two applications is nowhere near enough for a kid just starting out. If you rule out or address a clinical issue, then work with him to seek out something meaningful to do with his time. Get him into activity groups or volunteering. If you can't get him doing things outside the house, then put him to work within the house. It's actually less "cruel" in the long run to push him to do these things, otherwise he will be wholly dependent on you for the rest of your life. He will live up, or down, to the expectations you set for him.

We r actually goin tomorrow to neuropsychologist to get results of a comprehensive neuropsychological 6 hour testing he had done two weeks ago-not sure how this works with what they find exactly .. IQ... If he has learning disability etc- he has always had anxiety his while life eventually leading to ev day panic attacks but thanks to a new dr this year has that more under control - he has always preferred non social settings and doesn't contribute much in any conversation only here and there- yes I told him more job seeking is necessary and gave him more chores around house or ask him to take mail to post office etc so he can get in his car and get out of the house- love ur thoughts thanks again-{{hugs}}

New Threads

Top Bottom