• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can one develop Asperger's due to trauma?

Has anyone else developed Asperger's or ASD after childhood trauma?

• Yes, confirmed by mental health professional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I believe so

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi everyone, I'm new here and an Aspie. And because we're not too sensitive to social norms, here it goes without any intro: my significant other is neurotypical and this causes a lot of friction. He thinks it's all a matter of willpower and wonders why "I can't be friggin' normal," then tells me that "everyone noticed that I'm 'fragile'" and that "they're all talking." Is anyone else experiencing this sort of difficulty with NT loved ones?

I developed AS after my mother put me in an orphanage as a toddler, in Eastern Europe no less, and I almost died. When my grandparents rescued me I had PTSD, RAD (reactive attachment disorder- usually from losing one's consistent caregiver; often seen in orphans and wards of the state or kids of neglectful parents) and Asperger's. By all accounts I was normal before the orphanage and learned to mimic normal behavior eventually, but it's just an act. The orphanage experience rewired my brain, but I've learned to act normal enough that most people don't realize I'm on the autism spectrum, hence the "why can't you just be normal?"

So I'm just wondering if others have the same experiences and if anyone else thinks they developed AS as a result of trauma.

Autism is a genetic disorder. Meaning you are born with it. Aspergers is often not diagnosed before the age of 5 as its traits are less obvious in a baby or toddler.
So I am very certain, you didn't 'pick it up' or were 'rewired' in the orphanage.

I think trauma can be a contributing factor to the development of more noticeable autistic characteristics.

Researchers haven't fully identified all of the factors that contribute to an autistic presentation, and some research indicates that environmental factors can either help a person compensate (otherwise, there would be no point in providing kids with therapy and special support) or make it harder for the person to adjust to life (such as when trauma hampers the growth of skills that would have helped us adapt).

So, I tend to think that people are born with a propensity toward certain characteristics, but those traits can be stronger or weaker based on the amount and types of support or trauma (physical, emotional, etc) in the environment.

Given the timeline you described, it's entirely possible you had a disposition toward certain autistic traits before the orphanage, but those traits had not yet surfaced, and might not have been especially noticeable even as you got older until you faced a life crisis of some sort that overwhelmed your compensation strategies.

Autism is fundamentally a developmental "disorder" (fwbt). There's no way to "get" autism or otherwise acquire it. But as autistics, we are at a higher risk for different sorts of trauma, so it's easy to confuse one with the other.

I think viewing ASD as fundamentally a developmental disorder is flawed, and is one reason why its considered as something only children have. Developmental issues should be seen as one symptom.

I think viewing ASD as fundamentally a developmental disorder is flawed, and is one reason why its considered as something only children have. Developmental issues should be seen as one symptom.

The reason it is so-called is because we have different developmental pathway(s), as opposed to behavioral, which would imply that it doesn't affect anything else. Or cognitive, ditto.

I think a lot of the reasoning behind ABA is the idea that autism is purely behavioral, but I know from my experience growing up with it that that is not the case.

Autism is something you're born with and die with. The environment you're brought up in can improve or worsen the development, but no amount of trauma by itself would cause you to become autistic.

Developmental disorder does not imply that at all. Do people stop being intellectually disabled when they reach adulthood? How about dyspraxic, does that stop on someone's 18th birthday? I really can't figure out where you got this idea from.

It is more than just one symptom. It is the core part of it. That we're developing slower in the areas that ASD is effecting.

No it's impossible for someone to develop any form of autism. since autism is caused by a genetic mution(s) that alters the way an unborn child's brain develops physically, chemically, and psychologically. Like me you probly came more aware of how being autistic affects you on a daily basis. I think what your experiencing is an issue separate from being on the spectrum. PTSD could be a large factor as well as Reactive attachment disorder but again those are separate conditions. Does all that make sense?

So, I guess that would make me a 70 year old "child". You are right, developmental issues are one of many symptoms.

So, I guess that would make me a 70 year old "child". You are right, developmental issues are one of many symptoms.
I guess, it could be worse I think? I'm only 17 so I'm not really able to give the perspective from a grumpy old man

You sound a bit like me in experiencing trauma early in life and also appearing normal in the first few years.

I don't really know how to explain it. My best guess at this point is that I had HFA all along, and that the experiences reinforced already existing tendencies. Or put another way emotional issues compounded psychological ones.

As I aged the autism becomes more noticeable, but was always masked to a degree by me being unaware that I had it. Going back in retrospect I can identify autistic tendencies quite early but they are subtle. As a HFA I did not have any noticable problems with speech, coordination, etc.

Firstly I'm no professional, I don't want to say that I think it is 100% impossible because something that we don't know doesn't mean it'd never exist.
But as an HFA (assessment from CP haven't finished although my Psychiatrist said that I'm very likely High functioning Autistic) and Epilepsy patient, I do believe that ASD is not fully genetic things, but childhood environment probably won't be the cause.
Due to the fact that Autism is highly related to SPD, and it is all about our brain. So personally, it makes no sense to me if childhood environment(in your case: orphanage) can give you sensory issue.
I can be wrong though.
P.S. My NT parents and relatives also believe in willpower like your love one and they never ever want to accept ASD is something that we couldn't change. Anyway welcome aboard. :)

my significant other is neurotypical and this causes a lot of friction. He thinks it's all a matter of willpower and wonders why "I can't be friggin' normal," then tells me that "everyone noticed that I'm 'fragile'" and that "they're all talking." Is anyone else experiencing this sort of difficulty with NT loved ones?

I noticed that most people focused on the trauma. I would like to focuse on the first thing you said.
He needs to educate himself. In my opinion it is not okay for him to say things like this to you.
I have a NT boyfriend and we definately have some issues; with him not understanding how I do certain things differently, react differently. but then we talk. I explain to the best of my ability, he does the same and we try to come to a compromise (not always). Asking someone to be "friggin' normal" is not productive or constructive. and what other people think is their business and not important in a relationship between two people.
Sorry if I sound agitated. Sending positive thoughts as fast as I can through the internet!

I believe that autism is something you are born with, but I do believe that trauma can make things worse. If that helps any.

I noticed that most people focused on the trauma. I would like to focuse on the first thing you said.
He needs to educate himself. In my opinion it is not okay for him to say things like this to you.
I have a NT boyfriend and we definately have some issues; with him not understanding how I do certain things differently, react differently. but then we talk. I explain to the best of my ability, he does the same and we try to come to a compromise (not always). Asking someone to be "friggin' normal" is not productive or constructive. and what other people think is their business and not important in a relationship between two people.
Sorry if I sound agitated. Sending positive thoughts as fast as I can through the internet!

The NTs in our life unfortunately can't educate themselves if they don't agree with the Asperger's diagnosis to begin with. As far as "people talking," I posted my Aspie status on FB and said if someone doesn't like me, we need not have a relationship :) But no one's been whispering behind my back (I asked). I think my significant other is just too sensitive.

I also have an NT SO who, in her mad times, says things like "why can't you be normal" and that I'm just not trying hard enough, if I just developed more will power, I would be able to overcome....... So I understand the difficulty with people not knowing what it means to have ASD. To be fair, my partner usually calms down and will listen to me explain how it affects my life, behavior, our relationship, etc. and she comes around to a bit of enlightenment. Doesn't seem to last, though.

Sorry to hear of your childhood trauma, sounds very difficult, but as others have posted, environment, conditions and experience can exacerbate or ease traits and symptoms, but not cause ASD. They will certainly bring about other behavioral issues ie. anxiety, depression. While my childhood was not idyllic, I did not suffer anything traumatic. Youngest in a large family and left to myself a lot, closest I came to trauma is benign neglect.

Hope you find help here, this group has been very helpful, supportive and even fun, so welcome.

New Threads

Top Bottom