• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can anyone else relate to this?

Ame568

I made this comic yesterday on my laptop, there's no color because my laptop didn't want to download gimp. This is based on an event from an online friend from years ago. I didn't mention it in the comic but I was quiet enough to let them speak if they wanted to...or at least I thought so.

Attachments

• exfriend no color.png
    exfriend no color.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 136
I think a lot of people here can relate to this, yes. I think it's rare to find NTs who respect and value how much and/or how little we Autistics and other Neurodiverse folks talk, and those that do make the best kind of friends, or at least the best kind of people to be around.

I often feel like I talk too much at times (among other feelings), but mostly that's because my RSD (Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria) and Social Anxiety gets to me.

Yes. I completely tune out when talk is about other people, especially if it is about people I couldn't care about or do not intersect my life unless it is something I can directly relate to. I'll try to listen politely but am uncomfortable and will stay quiet. Then If things get to topics I'm knowledgeable about I tend to talk on. If discussions get into matters of ethics (like the gig economy, or neoliberal economics) I tend to get oppositional which pretty much clears the deck.

Your friend is not alone. As @SusanLR stated in a post; "Yes, wanting to be alone, yet not totally alone and lonely because I can't seem to connect. I call it the Aspie Conundrum."

My only answer to that was to suggest an engagement with an activity group where the personal is not the focus and one may engage to one's comfort level.

Yes. I completely tune out when talk is about other people, especially if it is about people I couldn't care about or do not intersect my life unless it is something I can directly relate to. I'll try to listen politely but am uncomfortable and will stay quiet. Then If things get to topics I'm knowledgeable about I tend to talk on. If discussions get into matters of ethics (like the gig economy, or neoliberal economics) I tend to get oppositional which pretty much clears the deck.
you would love to hang with my family thats How we talk to each other when we get together

Yes, I either talk too much or too little. I think the basic problem is my lack of small talk - people expect small talk, but I only talk about things that I'm genuinely interested in. And if I talk about the weather, I talk about THE WEATHER, if you get what I mean :)

Yes, I either talk too much or too little. I think the basic problem is my lack of small talk - people expect small talk, but I only talk about things that I'm genuinely interested in. And if I talk about the weather, I talk about THE WEATHER, if you get what I mean :)
Haha! I do know what you mean. Sailors are notorious for this. There is no such thing as a "rainy day". There is a low pressure system that is building strength and bringing a lot of moisture with increaing winds....blah blah blah. :)

Last edited:
Good cartoon, exptesses what happens with me. I like it just fine without color.

Talking and communicating with text is a very strange activity. I don’t think it’s what it seems to be 99.99% of the time, for me.
Words mean slightly or not so slightly different things for people depending on their age, education, gender, culture, etc., plus different contexts. And yet the little symbols & sounds are similar enough that we can toss them to one another in this weird human social game. Tires me. I need alone quiet time. Pets are not liars.

Your friend is not alone. As @SusanLR stated in a post; "Yes, wanting to be alone, yet not totally alone and lonely because I can't seem to connect. I call it the Aspie Conundrum."

My only answer to that was to suggest an engagement with an activity group where the personal is not the focus and one may engage to one's comfort level.

Actually that's me, the bald person was my ex-friend. Sorry it wasn't clear.

Yeah, I've had similar situations happen. Mostly where people tell me I'm too quiet and then when I try to talk more no one acknowledges me. It's awful.
I rated it a heart because that makes me feel sad. I have a feeling that this was also me and that is how I came to feel rejection. Then after a while I gave up trying.

At the start of the day I sit quietly on my computer and let my colleagues talk amongst themselves. They tell me that "I talk too much" *sarcasm*, but it doesn't bother me.

After we get our taskings for the day I'm either on my own or paired with someone.

Although my job involves dealing with people I'm happier working on my own.

When I'm paired up I feel awkward driving around. I enjoy driving around in silence, but knowing that it may make them feel uncomfortable I break the silence with generic small talk rambling as we only have work in common and they don't enjoy talking about it unless they need to.

New Threads

Top Bottom