• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Calling all writers

I wite (so far unpublished) children's sci-fi fantasy fiction of which I've written numerous chapters featuring the same characters wit others coming in as needed. I also write a regular (weekly) non-fiction blog about any topic which I find interesting. Have covered numerous subjects and they are all available on Wordpress.

I love to write but sometimes it's difficult to transfer the numerous fiction ideas in my head to written form.

This what I have so far for my superhero story. Any tips on how to improve it and maybe make it longer?

The room was illuminated by a laptop screen showing a document that had been empty for far too long. The cursor continued to blink like some indicator to tell Robin that it was finally time to start typing. Robin sat at her small desk staring blankly at the screen, wondering how she's ever supposed to concentrate on her homework with the noise of her fighting neighbours flooding in through the paper-thin walls and sirens screaming so regularly she might as well set it as alarm on her phone.

She jumped at the bang of the front door being slammed shut. Brother's home, she thought to herself. His heavy footsteps passed her room and her worries were fulfilled when music began blasting from his room at full volume.

“Will you turn that down?” she yelled, barely able to hear herself. “Hey,” she continued. Although she had tried to yell louder, she found herself unable to tell if she had made any difference.

Robin slammed her laptop closed and stormed to her brother's room. He was sat on the bed eating snacks and smoking like any other night. The thing that bothered Robin the most was that he showed some kind of pride in his lifestyle, like a fourteen year old behaving this way was cool and not just a wasteful act of throwing away any chance at a decent life.

“Hey,” she said. “Turn the music off, I'm trying to work.”

“Get out,” her brother screamed.

He jumped from the bed and forced her out of the room before slamming the door shut in her face. Her only option left was to turn to her mother, not that she expected much from that, and she was right to as she found her mother once again passed out on her bed, surrounded by empty bottles and various drug paraphernalia.

Robin sighed to herself as she turned her mother onto her side and pulled a blanket over her. She gave her a kiss on the forehead and returned to her room where she lay on her bed, put in her earphones and played her own music loud enough to drown out the surrounding sound.

Knowing that she wasn't going to get some sleep any time soon, Robin thought about her life. About how a seventeen year old is left to care for her mother and brother; how her mother would rather put all the blame on her life on racism than accept her responsibilities and do a better job; about the concern that she'll one day have to be told her brother has died, and how none of them seem to even want to change. She has dreams of escaping this life, of working hard and doing something worth telling people about. Then she thought again about her family using drugs and drinking until they're no longer able to think, perhaps they're looking to escape just as much as she is.

I'm also trying to develop an idea for a supernatural western or pirate (maybe both) story if anyone wants to help.

Hi everyone!

Sorry I haven't been keeping up on this thread and replying to you all , as I've mentioned before I've been busy( with my first year of high school :eek: I can't believe I haven't died yet, my biggest fear of high school was always the social aspect :D but I digress, back to the subject at hand).

I wanted to make this private, because I just thought for the more shy writers (like me :p ) who want to be able to discuss without everyone being able to see ideas/drafts until it is finished, and in general an easier way to separate it from other threads and have more focus on it. That being said, I've added all who have replied to this thread into the conversation (except for a few of you, because it says I can't for some reason :confused:). I understand some of you may not want this, so please, feel free to leave if you wish, I just didn't want to risk leaving anyone out :)

Thanks, and enjoy!

This what I have so far for my superhero story. Any tips on how to improve it and maybe make it longer?

The room was illuminated by a laptop screen showing a document that had been empty for far too long. The cursor continued to blink like some indicator to tell Robin that it was finally time to start typing. Robin sat at her small desk staring blankly at the screen, wondering how she's ever supposed to concentrate on her homework with the noise of her fighting neighbours flooding in through the paper-thin walls and sirens screaming so regularly she might as well set it as alarm on her phone.

She jumped at the bang of the front door being slammed shut. Brother's home, she thought to herself. His heavy footsteps passed her room and her worries were fulfilled when music began blasting from his room at full volume.

“Will you turn that down?” she yelled, barely able to hear herself. “Hey,” she continued. Although she had tried to yell louder, she found herself unable to tell if she had made any difference.

Robin slammed her laptop closed and stormed to her brother's room. He was sat on the bed eating snacks and smoking like any other night. The thing that bothered Robin the most was that he showed some kind of pride in his lifestyle, like a fourteen year old behaving this way was cool and not just a wasteful act of throwing away any chance at a decent life.

“Hey,” she said. “Turn the music off, I'm trying to work.”

“Get out,” her brother screamed.

He jumped from the bed and forced her out of the room before slamming the door shut in her face. Her only option left was to turn to her mother, not that she expected much from that, and she was right to as she found her mother once again passed out on her bed, surrounded by empty bottles and various drug paraphernalia.

Robin sighed to herself as she turned her mother onto her side and pulled a blanket over her. She gave her a kiss on the forehead and returned to her room where she lay on her bed, put in her earphones and played her own music loud enough to drown out the surrounding sound.

Knowing that she wasn't going to get some sleep any time soon, Robin thought about her life. About how a seventeen year old is left to care for her mother and brother; how her mother would rather put all the blame on her life on racism than accept her responsibilities and do a better job; about the concern that she'll one day have to be told her brother has died, and how none of them seem to even want to change. She has dreams of escaping this life, of working hard and doing something worth telling people about. Then she thought again about her family using drugs and drinking until they're no longer able to think, perhaps they're looking to escape just as much as she is.

I'm also trying to develop an idea for a supernatural western or pirate (maybe both) story if anyone wants to help.

Hey Sylar,

I like what you've written so far! Especially the last paragraph where we get some backstory. I suppose I'd have to read more (in the future) to completely judge this excerpt (as far as clarity of storyline, character specifics, etc.) but right now my feedback would be to possibly use the protagonists' name less, because your usage of her name seems a bit excessive (then again this is a personal opinion, and others might disagree, which is fine). Another thing is the sentence flow. For the most part it flows quite well, but sometimes you either use commas when other punctuation can be used (such as an em dash in the last sentence), or you could insert a comma into a sentence to make is read better.
All in all, it's pretty good! I look forward to you writing more of this (hopefully in the private thread, which I've now invited you into :D).

Also, I'd love to be a part of you're western/pirate story, but unfortunately I don't think I can commit to a project such as that, as I'm busy with school. I wouldn't want to not pull my workload and let you down! However, it would be great if you could post updates to the private conversation every once in a while.

Thanks!
- The Phantom

I like to write. I post my work online and I have my own fanfiction account but right now I am doing originals. I have a private forum where I only share the link on certain places. My stories are filled with drama and they come from my own feelings and fantasy and my perspective.

The Phantom thanks for the feedback, I'll take it into account before I publish it on my forum and blog. As for the western/pirate story you wouldn't have to commit to writing it, any help on creating characters or coming up with a plot would be great. Like I said stories are intended to be released in bite-size chunks anyway so chapters can be posted on the writer's own schedule. I'm just trying to get other writers involved so there's less of a gap in content going up as I work on my own stories for it, there's the draft I already posted on and a chapter for a different story already published. A crime thriller about a hitman and a case gone wrong called The Last Cockroach.

I stood in the middle of my bleak, third story hotel room. The paint was faded and chipping away, wallpaper ripped and stained, mould growing by the windows, and a strong scent keeping alive the memories of all the degraded acts that had taken place previously. Let’s just say if the walls could talk they’d probably convict enough people to fill a cell block.

At least I couldn’t make it any worse, I thought to myself as I stared at the blood slowly pooling out of the man I’d just killed. The gun still smoking in my hand.

The man had been sent to kill me, and three more were on their way up the stairs to my room; two more waited outside the building by the van. All were armed, of course. Who knew how many could be hiding in the van? There were no pipes to climb out of the window and even if there were I’d be seen and shot down before I could do anything, escape wasn’t an option so the only thing left was fighting. There’s just one problem: I was all out of bullets.

The Phantom thanks for the feedback, I'll take it into account before I publish it on my forum and blog. As for the western/pirate story you wouldn't have to commit to writing it, any help on creating characters or coming up with a plot would be great. Like I said stories are intended to be released in bite-size chunks anyway so chapters can be posted on the writer's own schedule. I'm just trying to get other writers involved so there's less of a gap in content going up as I work on my own stories for it, there's the draft I already posted on and a chapter for a different story already published. A crime thriller about a hitman and a case gone wrong called The Last Cockroach.

I stood in the middle of my bleak, third story hotel room. The paint was faded and chipping away, wallpaper ripped and stained, mould growing by the windows, and a strong scent keeping alive the memories of all the degraded acts that had taken place previously. Let’s just say if the walls could talk they’d probably convict enough people to fill a cell block.

At least I couldn’t make it any worse, I thought to myself as I stared at the blood slowly pooling out of the man I’d just killed. The gun still smoking in my hand.

The man had been sent to kill me, and three more were on their way up the stairs to my room; two more waited outside the building by the van. All were armed, of course. Who knew how many could be hiding in the van? There were no pipes to climb out of the window and even if there were I’d be seen and shot down before I could do anything, escape wasn’t an option so the only thing left was fighting. There’s just one problem: I was all out of bullets.

Hey Sylar,
you're more than welcome! Glad to have been of help. And to be of further help, I would be really happy to assist you with creating character, as it's a personal favourite of mine when it comes to writing. I could possibly help out with plot as well.
Another note is that I really like the excerpt you just posted. I can't really give any feedback at the moment, because I like it just the way it is. Very engaging all around, and well written to boot. Definitley continue on with that.

Please let me know when/where to help you out with your story.

Thanks!
- The Phantom

Please let me know when/where to help you out with your story.
You can go to http://lightning-creative.forumotion.co.uk/ (or click the image in my signature to take you there) that's the place I set up so writers who want to add to the universe or help out can plan everything together in private. That's also where I post the rough versions of things I'm working on so any mistakes or possible improvements can be pointed out.

Glad you liked the first chapter, the others will be longer.

What about writers who are not fiction writers? I, for one, don't generally write fiction, but rather write to release emotions or write non-fiction essays about my special interests.

here is a tip keep a hard copy so your don't lose a whole novel if you laptop gets stolen.

Last edited:
What about writers who are not fiction writers? I, for one, don't generally write fiction, but rather write to release emotions or write non-fiction essays about my special interests.

Sure! You're welcome to join. You can talk about your subjects of interest, research, formatting, etc.

I used to write poetry but I've had a block for a long time. I think it is linked to depression and MH. it is an annoyance to me because I enjoyed my creative attempts.

I have three books self published. One of them is in print and I'm waiting for the next proof copy.

That's really cool! I've been considering self-publishing when I finish my novel, because a woman who self-published her books told me that you get complete control over all of the decisions about it as it's your property. Besides, I've spent the past five years trying to write it, I'm not spending another five trying to get some snobby publisher to like it enough to select it :D

New Threads

Top Bottom