• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Books, to learn or to escape? Nonfiction or fiction?

Learned to read when I was three. My godparents were retired schoolteachers and loved having such a willing pupil.

After that we moved a lot and I mowed through every library available. Would get a few bucks from my grandparents when we went to flea markets and I would get more books that way. Around nine or so I would get adult books on my father's library card; history and biographies and science, still favorite categories. For me, it's easier to get good nonfiction than good fiction.

In fiction, I read almost everything except romance and "women's novels"; military stuff does not interest me except in a history or thriller context; mainstream and literary fiction has this terrible tendency to be plotless and boring - pages of navel gazing does not interest me. I love thrillers, mystery, detective, horror, and science fiction the best.

Anything has to be written really well for me to enjoy it. Since I am also a writer, I can't handle bad styles or stupid plotting. That is when I bail early, like the book I tried recently where the author used up their lifetime quota of exclamation marks in the first three chapters.

Thanks for telling us more about your reading history, loves, and dislikes. You seem to have a pretty diverse interest. Keep up the great reading and writing.

Our 7-year Autistic son has his eyes jump over words if the lighting is not right. As well, he prefers books that have not too few words per page, but not too many. He wants books at the right level for him. He reads about two books a day.
Kudos to you for making books some an important part of your children's lives. So many parents do not realize the importance of reading not just for knowledge or entertainment but also in the development of critical thinking skills. Also many parents seem to park their kids in front of the TV, video game, or other types of screened entertainment. I do not like to read anything on an electronic device; not only for the fact that I stare at a screen for far too many hours a day but I love the feel of a book in my lap; a best friend that has been there for me for as long as I can remember. Also my main reading time is at night and it is a well known fact that looking at a screen may contribute to insomnia, something I fall prey to.

I am a hardcore history or biography reader. Both my parents were avid readers and being by myself most of the I time became the same. My mom was into romantic fictional type material whereas my dad was history and biographies--one of his favorite quotes regarding books (and movies and tv) was,"Truth is stranger than fiction." I did not have a good relationship with my mother, she found me hard to fathom however my dad and I got along well so I'm sure part of my selection of reading material was to emulate him. Also we had a gorgeous set of Encyclopedia Britannica which, of course, was right up my alley. Recently I purchased some fiction (a few bestsellers) written by authors well respected. I told myself I would read one after finishing up a biography however could not resist the temptation to read William Manchester's The Death of a President. In college I majored in history, something I was advised not to do for not many jobs in this area pertaining to that type of degree. Also I am not a people person so working with the public would not be a good fit.
Our 5-year old Autistic son still is non-verbal and cannot read out loud, and he rather chew on books. But, we think he knows more than he is letting on, based on how well he solves his reading and word app questions on his IPad.
I would bet also he knows more than he is letting on. Especially with big brother (and dad) so into reading which is so wonderful in this day and age of the eight minute attention span due to to social media.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I am curious what those on the Spectrum and their caregivers like to read, and why? I mean for those who love to read, do you prefer to read to mostly learn, to be entertained, or to like escape from reality a bit? Do you have a preference for fiction or non-fiction? Do you prefer a certain book, a certain genre of book, or a certain author? Or a certain written style? Or will you consider almost anything?

What other factors come into play when determining what book to read? Do you prefer soft cover, hard cover or some electronic file to read? Is price a big consideration? Do you want to read popular books, books with authors that have high credentials, or does the cover or subject play a big role mainly in what you read? Also, is there a certain place you like to read, or time you like to read best?

The reason I am curious is because my reading tastes seem to differ from many, and as a writer I would like to learn what book to consider next, as we have yet to see much interest in our true story about Autism and acceptance. So, right now I love reading real life true stories, with happier endings. I do not care much if it was written from a well known author or respected professional, as I often rather give newer authors or those with less hype a try. I hear many love fantasy and fiction and best sellers so I was curious more about that, too.

Regarding my reading style, as I am also the type that likes to help, I like reading non-fiction books about common folk or those in need so I can imagine having assisted them, or so as I can learn something from that story and in real life help others in similar or related ways. In general though, I feel all books can be of wonderful value in some way and to some person, so regardless what you read and why, I hope you keep finding enjoyment with that. I realize many though may prefer other entertainment, and that is Ok, too.

Thank You for reading this at least.
I read in a desperate way like a slow cell destroying virus
a little bit of fiction and a lot true life stories

Autobiographies from my mother
need very black and white concepts have little imagination
what is the title of your book id like to read it

Kudos to you for making books some an important part of your children's lives. So many parents do not realize the importance of reading not just for knowledge or entertainment but also in the development of critical thinking skills. Also many parents seem to park their kids in front of the TV, video game, or other types of screened entertainment. I do not like to read anything on an electronic device; not only for the fact that I stare at a screen for far too many hours a day but I love the feel of a book in my lap; a best friend that has been there for me for as long as I can remember. Also my main reading time is at night and it is a well known fact that looking at a screen may contribute to insomnia, something I fall prey to.

I am a hardcore history or biography reader. Both my parents were avid readers and being by myself most of the I time became the same. My mom was into romantic fictional type material whereas my dad was history and biographies--one of his favorite quotes regarding books (and movies and tv) was,"Truth is stranger than fiction." I did not have a good relationship with my mother, she found me hard to fathom however my dad and I got along well so I'm sure part of my selection of reading material was to emulate him. Also we had a gorgeous set of Encyclopedia Britannica which, of course, was right up my alley. Recently I purchased some fiction (a few bestsellers) written by authors well respected. I told myself I would read one after finishing up a biography however could not resist the temptation to read William Manchester's The Death of a President. In college I majored in history, something I was advised not to do for not many jobs in this area pertaining to that type of degree. Also I am not a people person so working with the public would not be a good fit.

I would bet also he knows more than he is letting on. Especially with big brother (and dad) so into reading which is so wonderful in this day and age of the eight minute attention span to to social media.

Thanks for the nice comments, and for sharing your reading desires and related background information. Yes, reading is very important, and Aaron does not even see this as work but fun. The same is true for all his subject material, as he enjoys learning as we find creative ways to instruct. Dylan hopefully will eventually get to reading and learning more once we find his preferred learning style and interests more, and as his development progresses. We are proceeding slower for him.

Autobiographies from my mother
need very black and white concepts have little imagination
what is the title of your book id like to read it

I like autobiographies as well, and memoirs. Or anything with some truth, special theme, or adventure to it. I prefer happier endings to stories.

Thanks for asking about my book. It is a self-published work of 302 pages called "A Spectrum of Light." A free chapter is on our website, for those who want to read a sample.

if you click on our profile, our website is shown there. I do not post it here, as I am unsure if it is against the rules.

Reading is a great gift to have, and one can go anywhere in the world with a book. Myself, personally, I enjoy history of the world. I find human nature fascinating and ever changing. Have to be in the mood before committing to the time. Try to do so right before sleeping, helping the mind shut down some. Good post!

I do not like to read anything on an electronic device; not only for the fact that I stare at a screen for far too many hours a day but I love the feel of a book in my lap; a best friend that has been there for me for as long as I can remember.

I understand. But not everyone feels that way. I find it great for reading in bed because the light is always "just right" and I can choose my font size for comfort. When a new big hardcover is almost $30, and I can get the eBook instantly for less than half that, I can read more when I read on a screen. At my pace, that's important.

Funny story: I went to a cabin on a lake for an unplugged weekend, and brought a number of regular books I'd been wanting to read. When I got back, my husband asks about reading "the old fashioned way."

"It was horrible! The light had to land on the page just right, It was hard to get the light right for reading in bed, and if I put it down, I lose my place!" I was joking... but that was all true :)

And you have a history with paper books. But does everyone?

Also my main reading time is at night and it is a well known fact that looking at a screen may contribute to insomnia, something I fall prey to.

I handle this by triggering the Mac iOS "sunset" feature, which finds sunrise and sunset locally and turns down the blue light, which is what contributes to insomnia.

I'm not at all arguing with you; by all means, like what you like. But those reasons might not be compelling to the people you wish to influence.

I read a lot of fiction to escape for a while. My faverite genere tends to be contempory and fantasy. Contempory because I find it helps me make sense of the real world and fantasy as I love the idea of alternative world magical things. I tend to prefer books write in the 1st person partically diary style like Adrian Mole (surprisingly I'm not keen Diary of a Wimpy Kid). As they books help me get an insight to the brains of others.

I do like reading non fiction book on stuff I am interested in like dolls and teddies.

Some of my faverite authers are Ann M Martin, Rumour Gooden, J K Rowling

Reading is a great gift to have, and one can go anywhere in the world with a book. Myself, personally, I enjoy history of the world. I find human nature fascinating and ever changing. Have to be in the mood before committing to the time. Try to do so right before sleeping, helping the mind shut down some. Good post!

Yes, I agree that those who can read should not take it for granted. Your first sentence reminds me of a past show here in the US called "Reading Rainbow," where the theme song was basically about how reading can take us anywhere, and for us to use our imaginations whenever we read. It was a catchy children's song, but it was so true. Thanks for posting.

I understand. But not everyone feels that way. I find it great for reading in bed because the light is always "just right" and I can choose my font size for comfort. When a new big hardcover is almost $30, and I can get the eBook instantly for less than half that, I can read more when I read on a screen. At my pace, that's important.

Funny story: I went to a cabin on a lake for an unplugged weekend, and brought a number of regular books I'd been wanting to read. When I got back, my husband asks about reading "the old fashioned way."

"It was horrible! The light had to land on the page just right, It was hard to get the light right for reading in bed, and if I put it down, I lose my place!" I was joking... but that was all true :)

And you have a history with paper books. But does everyone?

I handle this by triggering the Mac iOS "sunset" feature, which finds sunrise and sunset locally and turns down the blue light, which is what contributes to insomnia.

I'm not at all arguing with you; by all means, like what you like. But those reasons might not be compelling to the people you wish to influence.

I agree. For many IPads are actually preferred than books, if not needed completely instead of traditional books. Some find more comfort in these type of devices, and better stimulation or more fitting for their senses.

Our children cannot do without their IPad. Whereas Aaron prefers hardcover books to read, he prefers his IPad for games, and many educational programs. He enjoys navigating, and is less interested in board games, though he enjoys workbooks, too. He prefers to learn a variety of ways.

For Dylan, he still refuses all books, no matter our attempts since very young. He will still rip the pages, chew on corners, and scratch off the letters. His IPad seems to currently be his preferred learning, and he learns from educational Dvds. We are slowly seeing him allowing other teachings though.

I read a lot of fiction to escape for a while. My faverite genere tends to be contempory and fantasy. Contempory because I find it helps me make sense of the real world and fantasy as I love the idea of alternative world magical things. I tend to prefer books write in the 1st person partically diary style like Adrian Mole (surprisingly I'm not keen Diary of a Wimpy Kid). As they books help me get an insight to the brains of others.

I do like reading non fiction book on stuff I am interested in like dolls and teddies.

Some of my faverite authers are Ann M Martin, Rumour Gooden, J K Rowling

Thanks for your post, and sharing your favorites. My wife likes mostly fiction, auto biographies, and Children's Literature. She says it is hard to read because of eye scanning issues, but she reads much faster and more than I, but often out of sequence or preferring to scan instead of reading every word because of a bit of impatience she says.

For any written material, I read every word, in order and slowly, as I see every word as potentially important, so a bit of an opposite way of enjoying books than her, but that is what is great about reading: we all can read in ways best for us, and read what we like best, and at the times best for our situation.

It is great to see what everyone likes to read and why, and other insights that you all have shared. I have learned much more about reading and books from all of your messages. So, thanks much everyone. Keep up the great reading and messages, too, as others are likely learning or finding some benefit from your feedback by reading that as well.

My intentions were not to try to influence people.....I was just stating why I like to read paper books and why I prefer them to those "reading machines." God, I must be ancient it's a wonder I can figure out how to communicate via computer :D. My son, a young man, also prefers paper books even though he is a gamer and possesses many high tech toys. My sister, on the other hand, an old foggy like me, prefers the e-book as do friends and acquaintances of mine. Especially when travelling.
Also I purchase most of my books via thriftbooks.com or find them at used book stores, second hand stores, etc. So I'm certainly not out 30 bucks each time I buy one. Also there's an institution in most communities called a library. I hear they have thousands upon thousands of these paper dinosaurs. I really lucked out last weeked; picked up a first edition hard back signed copy of Death of a President for three bucks, a best seller from eons ago---perfect condition, don't even think it was read by anyone; perhaps someone found it in their attic. Peace

Last edited:
Our children cannot do without their IPad. Whereas Aaron prefers hardcover books to read, he prefers his IPad for games, and many educational programs. He enjoys navigating, and is less interested in board games, though he enjoys workbooks, too. He prefers to learn a variety of ways.

For Dylan, he still refuses all books, no matter our attempts since very young. He will still rip the pages, chew on corners, and scratch off the letters. His IPad seems to currently be his preferred learning, and he learns from educational Dvds. We are slowly seeing him allowing other teachings though.
If the technology that exists today was around when I was growing up most likely I would be into it. Regardless of the medium, I would be thrilled that my kids were reading and learning via an Ipad, dvd's or books.

If the technology that exists today was around when I was growing up most likely I would be into it. Regardless of the medium, I would be thrilled that my kids were reading and learning via an Ipad, dvd's or books.

Yes, I grew up with books as well. We had no choice as we could not use IPads and other devices. Computers even were so new then. We were given books, and nobody cared if it was what we enjoyed, as nothing else really existed.

So, the need to read turned into habit to read these books, and then that turned into preference I guess. These days while it is true many may still just have preference for books, for whatever reason, many others prefer electronic devices.

Whereas in several cases these devices could be a need because of a sensory condition, in other cases it could be because of the widespread availability now of these items and it being more practical to use them.

And others may just want to change with the times and not live in the past. Or they may see it cooler to read and be entertained this way. Whatever the need or preference, I agree the focus should be on reading and enjoyment.

In other words, there are many who either cannot read or read comfortably traditional books, or they may refuse to read the traditional way, and if reading and learning through other electronic devices would be needed for them or be better for them, this may jump start them to like reading more.

This reminds me of the handwriting versus typing taught at schools now. Nowadays, many school systems are skipping over handwriting and focusing on keyboard skills at an early age. So even school teachers are trying to change up things. Whether this is right or not, some blame for the use of electronic devices rests there.

This reminds me of the handwriting versus typing taught at schools now. Nowadays, many school systems are skipping over handwriting and focusing on keyboard skills at an early age. So even school teachers are trying to change up things. Whether this is right or not, some blame for the use of electronic devices rests there.

Great point! When things were handwritten, it made sense to work on people's handwriting, since the whole point was communication.

This was a sore spot for me in school; I had always made good grades, until handwriting came along. I couldn't do better than a C no matter what I did :)

Great point! When things were handwritten, it made sense to work on people's handwriting, since the whole point was communication.

This was a sore spot for me in school; I had always made good grades, until handwriting came along. I couldn't do better than a C no matter what I did :)

I wish teachers or instructors would be open minded to giving at least two choices for students, for such things as reading and writing. If those prefer keyboard instead of handwriting, let them do that, or vice versa. The same for reading traditional books versus reading through electronic devices.

And let's stop mandating classic books to read. That assumes not only those books are the best to read, but that it fits the style and preference of most students. These are part of the reasons we homeschool, as we want to individualize things for our children, and not let school systems dictate what is best.

Hello everyone. For the next seven days I will be offering a free 302 page PDF electronic file version of my book, A Spectrum Of Light. For those that are interested, please email me at [email protected] to request a free copy, or go to our website at: A Spectrum of Light to learn more what the book is about. Thank You.

Thanks for your post, and sharing your favorites. My wife likes mostly fiction, auto biographies, and Children's Literature. She says it is hard to read because of eye scanning issues, but she reads much faster and more than I, but often out of sequence or preferring to scan instead of reading every word because of a bit of impatience she says.

For any written material, I read every word, in order and slowly, as I see every word as potentially important, so a bit of an opposite way of enjoying books than her, but that is what is great about reading: we all can read in ways best for us, and read what we like best, and at the times best for our situation.

It is great to see what everyone likes to read and why, and other insights that you all have shared. I have learned much more about reading and books from all of your messages. So, thanks much everyone. Keep up the great reading and messages, too, as others are likely learning or finding some benefit from your feedback by reading that as well.
I use both kindle, books and audio. I need magnifiers and overlay to read a normal book which can be a pain so that why I like the kindle. When I read I nee to fiddle to focus.

New Threads

Top Bottom