• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bereavement 'exploitation'

When In Rome

When we first saw this ad, of course we saw it for what it was. Actually thought it was poignant and quite an honourable intention. And I quite like a fillet o'fish occasionally. Here's the ad...

Still available to see for now but, MacDonalds have pulled the ad because they received around a hundred complaints although why anyone would take offence at it I have no idea - have you?

McDonald's pulls 'exploitative' grieving child advert from screens

(A psychologist has said it exploits bereavement and human bonding)

To use grief as a catalyst to market a fast food product is not only exploitative, but it may well unintentionally spoil one's appetite. It certainly would spoil mine. I like the product myself, but I don't like to be reminded of the death of family members. Something intensely painful to me personally.

Then again this was the multi-billion dollar corporation who used a clown as their front man for too many years. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Yes, clearly one day we won't be able to discuss any emotions and advertisements like this will be a thing of the past.

It's just food. Death is part of life. Go figure that.

Yes, clearly one day we won't be able to discuss any emotions and advertisements like this will be a thing of the past.

It's just food. Death is part of life. Go figure that.

Doubtful in my country. I don't know of any laws against merely stupid advertising. It happens all the time here. Much like death, taxes, and even bad taste.

Nothing like promoting an edible product in bad taste. An amusing oxymoron. But it still strikes me as fundamentally bad marketing. Bound to make for some awkward encounters with shareholders at quarterly reviews. :p

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't like it. Mostly, I disliked how the boy is trying to find something to connect with his father, and all he gets is he "wasn't scruffy (unlike you) had beautiful clean shoes (unlike you)was good at soccer and a hit with the girls, had brown eyes (unlike you) blah blah" But he liked fillet o fish and that's all that matters.

Where's the vomit icon?

Doubtful in my country. I don't know of any laws against merely stupid advertising. It happens all the time here. Much like death, taxes, and even bad taste.

Nothing like promoting an edible product in bad taste. An amusing oxymoron. But it still strikes me as fundamentally bad marketing. Bound to make for some awkward encounters with shareholders at quarterly reviews. :p

Good post. Not sure of your country and I have no argument about it being bad marketing, I think anyone could see that. It's about individual interpretation and overall sensitivity. MacDonalds have seen the error of their ways and retracted the ad although it's still to be seen on the video channels which doesn't make much sense.

But he liked fillet o fish and that's all that matters.

Exactly. That's the intention. We want you to buy our fishburger but while you wait, have a look at this...

So a conglomerate will try varying tactics. For me, I do see both sides but personally, it bothered me not.

It wouldn't surprise me if they start putting those cotton wool warnings at the end of these type of ads though.

Or at the beginning.

"This advertisement contains references to bereavement"

or...

"If you've been affected by this trailer, please call this toll-free helpline"

Good post. Not sure of your country and I have no argument about it being bad marketing, I think anyone could see that. It's about individual interpretation and overall sensitivity. MacDonalds have seen the error of their ways and retracted the ad although it's still to be seen on the video channels which doesn't make much sense.

Indeed, it could be much worse. And it was for Pepsi Cola not too long ago. This one ruffled quite a few feathers in comparison. Nebulous and subjective bad taste in advertising is one thing, but attempting to capitalize on political controversy is another.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/05/business/kendall-jenner-pepsi-ad.html?_r=0

Interesting. I don't recall that one but I'm fairly sure Pepsi had another one that caused some controversy.

Yep. If I thought about it, I could probably cite a number of very big corporate players in the market who have all made major screwups in entrusting their brand to Madison Avenue at one time or another. It happens.

Luckily most people tend to recall the best commercials rather than the worst. Or not...lol:

The 9 Worst Marketing and Advertising Failures Of 2015

Last edited:
Still available to see for now but, MacDonalds have pulled the ad because they received around a hundred complaints although why anyone would take offence at it I have no idea - have you?

McDonald's pulls 'exploitative' grieving child advert from screens

(A psychologist has said it exploits bereavement and human bonding)

I'm so glad you've explained why it's being viewed at offensive. They talked about it last night on 'The Last Leg' and didn't explain anything. They just showed the ad and then all agreed that it wasn't cool. We were left trying to figure out what was offending people. Personally I don't think it's offensive, it's just not a very good advert.

i personally could not understand the fuss about the advert.
when it first came on UK tv,i laughed and laughed because it has nothing to do with food or mc donalds,what...a dead dad,a son,a wife and crappy acting?
i got a feeling of 'cheesy' fake acting but i was not offended,i dont know why i should be because everyones parents die or they die before their parents,and it happens to a lot of young kids,so why denie it and make mcdonalds pull their crappy advert?

i dont eat fast food/chippies and so forth but if i did that advert would make me face palm and move on,it wouldnt make me want to buy a burger.

Yeah, I didn't like it. Mostly, I disliked how the boy is trying to find something to connect with his father, and all he gets is he "wasn't scruffy (unlike you) had beautiful clean shoes (unlike you)was good at soccer and a hit with the girls, had brown eyes (unlike you) blah blah" But he liked fillet o fish and that's all that matters.

Where's the vomit icon?

Lol, that sums it up. Had Brown eyes, not like you. Wasn't even your real dad.

Enjoy your tartar sauce you messy ****, I think I'll have you adopted.

So instead of a pet hamster to introduce children to mr.death we have a filet of fish ad.

Not sure why people thought it offensive. They should maybe have a re-check about what's important in life.

How about milky ways new ad?

The snack you can eat between meals even if your dad's dead.....

Or 1,000 other variations....

i personally could not understand the fuss about the advert.
when it first came on UK tv,i laughed and laughed because it has nothing to do with food or mc donalds,what...a dead dad,a son,a wife and crappy acting?
i got a feeling of 'cheesy' fake acting but i was not offended,i dont know why i should be because everyones parents die or they die before their parents,and it happens to a lot of young kids,so why denie it and make mcdonalds pull their crappy advert?

i dont eat fast food/chippies and so forth but if i did that advert would make me face palm and move on,it wouldn't make me want to buy a burger.

Merely bringing up death alone doesn't offend me as such. However it reminds me of sad and unpleasant realities for me personally. Most everyone who ever meant something to me has died. So from my own perspective, if you want to seduce someone with advertising, it's fundamental not to contaminate such a solicitation with anything with overtly negative connotations. Period!

So yeah. Bad advertising? THAT offends me. :p

So does their present stock price. How can such profound mediocrity carry so much value? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
To me what seems distasteful about the advertisement is that it trivialises and corporatises something that should be personal and private. Bereavement is so complex and individual that it feels wrong when someone tries to pretend to understand it in such a neat, glib way.

New Threads

Top Bottom