• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism or something else?

AmorphousBlob

I've never been diagnosed. It wasn't ever even a consideration to my doctors and family, as far as I know. But I've been doing some research lately and I thought it'd be best to actually talk to people instead of just reading posts. When I was younger I was diagnosed with ADHD because I had trouble paying attention and wouldn't get my work done due to the loss of focus. I was also diagnosed with social anxiety around 2 years ago. I was recently diagnosed with SPD, cause before that the sensory issues were considered part of ADHD. But I think there's more to my SAD as well.

I had issues, and still have issues, with understanding a lot of the nuances of social interaction. I distinctly remember one conversation in third grade that went something like this:
"Hey did you know that (type of water snake) is super dangerous because you can't feel their bites well. Oh man, what if someone was bitten in the butt by one. They wouldn't see it or feel it!"
"We're eating lunch, you shouldn't talk about stuff like that."

And another one (Same people):
"I don't like regular sports, but quidditch is awesome! Too bad it's not real..."
"Oh, I bet (person A) would want to hear all about it"
*Turns to person A* "Like, I wouldn't actually play it cause heights are scary, but-"
"I think (person B) is more interested than I am"
*Turns to person B*
And the cycle continues.

Little things like that, mostly not understands when it is and isn't ok to bring certain subjects up. It wasn't until a few years ago that I realized these requirements existed, and apparently nearly everyone understood them but me. That was where the anxiety came from. The realization made me afraid of unintentionally doing or saying the wrong thing. It wasn't a good realization, it only made my life worse. And thus, I was diagnosed with SAD.

So.. yeah. There's a lot more to it than that, but I don't want to bore everyone.

Not boring at all - I laughed out loud when I read your sports conversation. (Kinda sounds like something I might do).:tearsofjoy:

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

And I've never really been one for sports, be it real or fictional, though I don't mind eSports at all (Starcraft, Counter Strike, etc.)

I also never really had this issue due to me mostly keeping to myself; which in turn is also why I've had very few IRL friends

Yes, it's confusing - I'm still trying to decide if the heart means just friendly or love it.

I often times think the Heart can mean: I support you, or I like this alot, depending on the context of the post/comment

It says "Friendly" when I mouse over it (hover cursor).

In order from left to right, the ratings are:
Like, Agree, Funny, Winner, Informative, Friendly, Useful, Optimistic, Creative.

There have been several threads about the meanings of the karma ratings.
Here is one:
A question about ratings and contextual meaning (heart and checkmark)
Yes, I get all that - just 'friendly'. Sometimes it feels like a good thing, other times I wonder if it means 'I don't care for what you said but I know you're trying to be friendly.' :)

Yes, I get all that - just 'friendly'. Sometimes it feels like a good thing, other times I wonder if it means 'I don't care for what you said but I know you're trying to be friendly.' :)

I think it's valuable to review the icons since sometimes
new people get the idea that the Heart means.....something
altogether different and then misunderstandings ensue.

As in, thinking the Heart means "I've got a crush on you."

I think its African River Blindness.
You mean other people can actually SEE African rivers...!? (I think that you are in de-Nile.
full
)

Hi AmorphousBlob!
I don't make a lot of threads, but, I do read the posts and discuss.
Sometimes open mouth and insert foot, but, hey, it's all good.
Always learning and sharing here. Welcome.

New Threads

Top Bottom