• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

aspies and facebook

I'm a gamer. I have over 1,000 FB "friends". This has both advantages and disadvantages. On the plus side, it gives me a wide audience for my poetry, my homeless animal shares, and my soapbox rants.
On the down side, many of these people don't like me and might even wish me harm.

why might they wish you harm??

I had an account with 14 friends on it, 3 or 4 of those people I didn't know and only 1 of them is someone I keep in contact with. I decided that 14 people is too many when you don't care about anything they posts and deleted my account. Never looked back. I will never understand how people can have hundreds of "friends" on that thing.

I had an account with 14 friends on it, 3 or 4 of those people I didn't know and only 1 of them is someone I keep in contact with. I decided that 14 people is too many when you don't care about anything they posts and deleted my account. Never looked back. I will never understand how people can have hundreds of "friends" on that thing.

First off, I love your username (heroes ftw!) haha, and second, my idiot half brother has like 500 friends on his, and the majority of them are those random people who usually aren't English who go around adding anyone. I don't know what the point I'm trying to make is, lol. I just think it's stupid, how people think how many facebook friends you have defines life success, like the idiots who play call of duty all the time think kill/death ratios define life success. (I don't mean to offend any nice call of duty players on here, sorry if I did)

why might they wish you harm??

I am different. they fear what they don't understand.
Do you mean to say they don't fear you?

Several centuries ago, I am quite certain I would have been burned as a witch. Maybe some autistics were.

I have 300+ friends and I use it like a running high school reunion- keeping up with all the people I used to like so I don't feel antisocial when reunion time rolls around next year and I don't want to go :)

Also my high school was pretty big (I graduated with 850) so 300 doesn't seem that crazy.

I am not afraid to admit that I post way more than I should. HOWEVER, I have my reasoning. I find my posts are interesting, and whatever rants I have are NOT stupid issues that most others claim to have.

I post because when I talk to people in person, I feel that most don't listen to me. So I post it so people can have a choice of actually hearing me out or ignoring it. My family never lets me talk, and I am convinced it is because I don't have children of my own (which I do not want. Long story.). I hope this improves when I am married in October. I know they at least talk to married people.

Lately I've been looking at the list of people on my facebook and getting a bit depressed over it. Mostly because other than family its made up largely of people who check their profiles once a month or old school friends I just added because I knew them in school.

It depresses me a bit because people who I thought of as friends have wandered off or taken offense. There is no real friends on my facebook page and as I don't have a lot of other social interaction at present I guess it kind of reminds me of how isolated I am.

Does anyone else get a bit depressed over their pitiful facebook pages? I look at my husbands some times and his is full of interesting things to see and read and mine just seems to be full of ads and posts from groups.

Dragon's Tooth, I'm on FB every night and would love to talk to you there! I'm new to FB, so not sure how we swap FB addresses! A true non-techie, that's me!!

Several centuries ago, I am quite certain I would have been burned as a witch. Maybe some autistics were.

I wouldn't say people fear me, if anything I fear them, I was bullied badly at school and college so people in general scare the living cr*p out of me. But what you said about witches is interesting, and probably true!

I just think it's stupid, how people think how many facebook friends you have defines life success, like the idiots who play call of duty all the time think kill/death ratios define life success. (I don't mean to offend any nice call of duty players on here, sorry if I did)

My youngest brother talks about Call of Duty like he's a real soldier.

I'll get to Facebook in a sec, but I recently read a bunch of pages on the Salem Witch Trials of 1692 after discovering that my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather and his brood lived in a town about 20-25 miles (32-40 km) from Salem, Massachusetts at the time (looks like the nonsense didn't affect their town). A bunch of petty, petty squabbling between families looking to blame anyone they could for their misfortunes, picking on easy targets, mostly old and poor people, but always people who didn't fit in. All motivated by fear, paranoia and jealousy. I'm sure Jesus was impressed!

I don't mind having Facebook around for keeping in touch with acquaintances, but I wouldn't consider what goes on there genuine socializing. Recently I got some very good advice about digital pianos from an old friend from high school, so that was nice. I'm fortunate that I haven't suffered at all because of Facebook.

That being said, I keep my cards close to my chest. I'm too busy living life to broadcast it. I'm very glad Facebook (or Twitter, or texting) wasn't around when I was in high school, or when I was single! It's hard enough trying to read social cues in real life or on telephones, let alone from text. I've learned the value of emoticons! :)

I'm glad they gave you the option of hiding posts from certain people. I'm not a fan of those who post vague, sad-sack status updates to get attention and sympathy from others. Way to crowd-source your misery! If it helps them get in touch with someone and they feel better after having a real conversation, that's cool, but somehow I doubt that's the intended purpose in a lot of cases.

Last edited:
I have a Facebook account, but seldom use it. I'll look at what some of my classmates from college are up to, and occasionally, send messages to the only brother I'm on speaking terms with (and I seldom see him, since his employer has him working rotating shifts.)

I only log into my Facebook every once in a while, not enough time to get depressed. Not that I would anyways, as it seems to me like most people are just shooting for raw numbers and/or mindless conversation these days rather than a handful of quality friends worth the effort. I had to cancel my last Facebook account due to issues involving my personal information, and the majority of those people I knew were close family and former classmates.

I remember my fiance had this girl on his fb friends list who always posted stuff like "I hate life I'm gonna go kill myself" and other oh woe is me type statuses and refused to then tell people what was wrong, then was suddenly like "I went partying last night and had so much fun yay me" and THEN went back to saying she would kill herself. It was REALLY annoying.

I remember my fiance had this girl on his fb friends list who always posted stuff like "I hate life I'm gonna go kill myself" and other oh woe is me type statuses and refused to then tell people what was wrong, then was suddenly like "I went partying last night and had so much fun yay me" and THEN went back to saying she would kill herself. It was REALLY annoying.

I have people posting stuff like that on facebook as well. If there's more drama than anything worthwhile I either unfriend or just put said persons settings on "most important updates only". Facebook is surprisingly pleasant that way, lol

My take on it is, whoever wants to friend me, can friend me. I'm not going to force anyone to do it in order to bolster my ego.

I'm starting to think that facebook makes friendships very throw away. It makes it easier to just throw out someone who doesn't fit your norms. The whole way our society is going I'm would not be surprised to find that everyone is their own island like us aspies become. I have noticed a number of so called friends have started new facebook pages (because I have stumbled across said facebook pages) where they have just thrown you out like you don't matter. So much for friendships huh? I guess I don't care too much but I just wanted to say that it highlights how quite literally throw away our society is.

I want to throw away my facebook but unfortunately I do a lot of organizing of volunteer stuff through groups on facebook.

Yeah, I don't really have any real friends or family, so the people on my Facebook friends list are mostly strangers who like the same Facebook groups and stuff as me. I get depressed when I try to talk or hang out with the ones who I have met in real life because it doesn't work out the way I'd like it to. The same goes for my phone. There's not many people in my phone and this is the first smart phone I've had, so sometimes when I make an acquaintance, it takes me forever to figure out how to add their number because I rarely do it and forget how. Mainly, I just use Facebook to look at art and political stuff and such.

When I started off using facebook it was really cool at first catching up with old classmates and such. But now honestly it's a little depressing continuing to see baby and wedding pictures that have nothing to do with me. Also I got blocked by a few NT friends (all women) who I guess thought I was sending too many messages. I'm someone who hates being ignored.

I don't have one anymore.

Sometimes I had the energy and enthusiasm, and I'd be posting and chatting. And then I'd sink into feeling like every message was a huge imposition.
It was a link to the past, but then, I got contacted by a few people that I didn't want contact with again. Not bullies, just... it didn't work out. People who ought to stay in the past and not intrude into my present day life. So in the end I shut the whole thing down. Closed my account. Freed myself of the past.

Which probably wasn't a good idea.

New Threads

Top Bottom