• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you say "aspie" and have you heard of it being offensive?

• I don't say the word and heard that it's offensive and think or used to think it's offensive

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The inspiration for this was a well known aspie vlogger telling others in a video of hers that they don't get to tell her how to talk about her diagnosis. Fact is that you should not tell anyone how to talk about their diagnosis, unless you are their therapist. Either one who is diagnosed chooses how to talk about it, or their therapist chooses.

Though I still use the word 'aspie,' I suspect it's no longer accepted since Asperger's syndrome isn't in the newly-released DSM-V. Today, A.S. is one of several autism spectrum disorders instead.
Asperger's and Kanner's are both historically relevant, even if they are no longer part of the official nomenclature. We (generally) refer to animals by their common names, not their scientific, binomial names. Why must we abandon that practice in describing ourselves?

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom