• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you say "aspie" and have you heard of it being offensive?

• I don't say the word and heard that it's offensive and think or used to think it's offensive

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My understanding is that NTs tend to use terms like Aspergers syndrome as they are focusing on what is 'wrong' with us.
I think it was Attwood in his 'Discovery of aspie' article that explained Aspies coined the term aspie as self identity, and it focuses on the positives.
To me, the y/ie ending on a word makes it less formal and more friendly.
I think a lot of aspies also still prefer aspie over autist or person with ASD or high functioning ASD because the general public has a strong image of classic autism that we don't fit.
So in short, if you feel you are defective explain that you have Aspergers Syndrome. If you are proud of who you are, say you are an aspie.
In the end, it could end up like 'nerd' and 'geek' – still an insult in some peoples eyes, a proud self identity to others.

Last edited:
I am a Aspie and I do not consider it offensive. It is one of the ways that I describe myself. I always spell out Aspie with a capital A. How ever my spell checker always says that is misspelled. I guess it must our own word.

Last edited:
I have frequently heard non-heterosexual people refer to themselves as 'queer', a reclaimed slur, and more rarely homosexual people refer to themselves as 'fag' and 'dyke'. though as someone else said, that's a separate issue as Aspie was coined by 'us'. As for people being defined by a diagnosable condition, or their sexuality... well people can define themselves however they want. Being an aspie is a part of my identity, as is being asexual. I'm also a whole load of other things, but here on this forum being an aspie is the most important, because, you know, it's an aspie forum. Likewise, when I gave a presentation at uni regarding disability support, I was introduced as an Aspie, because that was what I was talking about. When I attended LGBT+ meeting I was introduced as an asexual, and at other times I have described myself as a nerd, an introvert, a mega LOTR fangirl... no one is just one thing... but if I'm talking about Asperger's syndrome, then I'm an aspie.

So, you have four non-autstic people running your D.C.? Are they there at different times, or do they work together? You aren't famous, are you?

But anyway, do you remember your first introduction to the term aspie?

Yeah I am famous, not out as an Aspie yet either but, working on that, among other things that I hope will benefit all of the ASD community one day.

All forur of my DC people work together, different perspectives and ideas are helpful in their job, no tow people will see the same event, comment or whatever the same so, having four allows them a broader range of possible perspectives and, thus better damage control for me and my band, they have five of us to keep up with, two of us are on the spectrum, three are NT so, that have their work cut out for them and then some. It's amazing how much trouble five hard rockers can get into without even trying LOL.

All forur of my DC people work together, different perspectives and ideas are helpful in their job, no tow people will see the same event, comment or whatever the same so, having four allows them a broader range of possible perspectives and, thus better damage control for me and my band...

A quick off-topic comment: I reckon I could really enjoy doing that job, haha. Offering a different perspective, controlling the story... Problem is, I couldn't offer a "normal" view, so I'd be pretty much useless for consistently presenting an NT image, haha. :D

I can imagine the results of a 100% ASD DC team, not so effective by NT rules but, that would be fun, probably ruin half a dozen celbs in the process because a DC team usually has six to twelve clients but, that would be fun and funny. LOL.

Now if that team got a hold of the twelve top trend setters, well then "Aspieness" would become the new "in" thing. Bluntly honest verbal diarrhea with a good dose of information overload tossed in would be the way to act. Imagine all of the NTs that are so concerned about being "in" or "with it" desperately trying to sound and act like us in conversation LMAO

No it will never happen but, it's fun to imagine that would.

Bluntly honest verbal diarrhea with a good dose of information overload tossed in would be the way to act. Imagine all of the NTs that are so concerned about being "in" or "with it" desperately trying to sound and act like us in conversation LMAO

Teehee! Having to explain every detail of every illicit encounter, drunken bender, and gossipy hearsay...plus every detail of special interests and collections, haha. It would be interesting to see how society and culture would change as a whole if brutal honesty and over sharing was the norm.

Ok back to the topic. :)

"Homo" is an absolutely terrible example. It's a deliberate insult by straight people against gay people. Queer is slightly different, I say don't use it except with people who use it for themselves, and there are many who do. It's a little bit old-fashioned to use it as an insult, but it still happens. If you are straight and you use it and someone in the LGBT community asks you not to, do not steamroll over them. You may not have meant it as an insult the first time, but when you redefine someone without their permission it is always insulting.

Yes "Homo" and a number of other short, neat little terms are often used as insults. That's why it's easy to think that "aspie" is offensive, by analogy with those terms.
Would you expect someone not on the spectrum to steamroll over someone who is, if the latter person were to tell the former not to say "aspie"?

The concept of "referring to people by diagnosable condition" is one that was made up by Neurotypicals who started the "person first" movement. The whole idea of person-first language depends on the notion that disability makes someone less of a person. So I don't find person-first phrases offensive necessarily, but the insistence that I use them to refer to myself is absolutely offensive. No one has the right to get offended on my behalf. I'm not anybody's good deed for the day. Neurotypicals are not in charge of the autistic community and they don't get to dictate who we are or how we call ourselves.

I have never heard of that movement. Neurotypicals don't get to dictate who we are or how call ourselfs, and non-homosexuals don't get to do that to homosexuals, at least not since anti-sodomy laws were abolished, and especially where marriage is defined with no gender attatched.

I have frequently heard non-heterosexual people refer to themselves as 'queer', a reclaimed slur, and more rarely homosexual people refer to themselves as 'fag' and 'dyke'. though as someone else said, that's a separate issue as Aspie was coined by 'us'. As for people being defined by a diagnosable condition, or their sexuality... well people can define themselves however they want. Being an aspie is a part of my identity, as is being asexual. I'm also a whole load of other things, but here on this forum being an aspie is the most important, because, you know, it's an aspie forum. Likewise, when I gave a presentation at uni regarding disability support, I was introduced as an Aspie, because that was what I was talking about. When I attended LGBT+ meeting I was introduced as an asexual, and at other times I have described myself as a nerd, an introvert, a mega LOTR fangirl... no one is just one thing... but if I'm talking about Asperger's syndrome, then I'm an aspie.

At first, I didn't know "aspie" was coined by those with asperger's syndrome, but those who don't know things like that might well perceive it like other short neat little terms that are used insultingly. As for being "a whole load of other things" you would also be a daughter, and an Englander.

Yeah I am famous, not out as an Aspie yet either but, working on that, among other things that I hope will benefit all of the ASD community one day.

So in addition to an aspie, you are other things too, in your case, mother and celebrity are among them.

Last edited:
Yeah, Mom, Rock goddess (okay that was a bit conceited but yeah), cook, occasional bus driver, coin and gun collector, wolfdog owner, ex wife (more than once), computer gamer when I have time and a lot more. Like anyone I am lots of things and, I'm different things to different people in my life. Aspie is just one part of who and what I am, as it is for all of us. Yes it defines how I perceive and process everything but, it does not define all of me, I am Aspie and, I am more than just an Aspie as are we all.

Is your DC someone not on the spectrum telling you how to talk about your own syndrome? Just say "aspie" here, it's in the name of this site!!!

I'll remember that !

The doctor told me that it's not aspergers syndrome anymore. Instead, we're all on the spectrum.

Still prefer 'aspie' though.

I prefer Aspie too, just what I'm comfortable with, what feels natural to say to me but, the world is hell bent on being politically correct, a trend that has gone way too far overboard in my opinion. If I were not in the limelight, I'd stick to Aspie/Autie/Autistic but, my life is what it is so, publicly I will go with persons/people/individuals/a person on the ASD spectrum. (Ugh, wordy, long winded PC garbage.)

Add that to my list that includes
Restaurant serving staff (waitress)
Mail or postal delivery drivers (mailman)
Hotel cleaning personnel (maid)
Persons with [xyz] disorder (Schizos, psychos, etc...)
People who enjoy [xyz] type of music (Punk rocker, Metal head, Dead head, etc...)
Disadvantaged youth (gang members, poor people under age 30, etc...)
People in need of assistance (welfare rats, unemployment mooches)
People who acted/behaved foolishly/without thinking it through (stupid people, idiots)
People who talk a bit too much (blabber mouths)
American Cattlepersons (cowboys)
Native American peoples (Indians)
Persons of color (black people)
Persons of Latin decent (Mexican, Chicano, Puerto Rican, etc...)

Too much PC for this Aspie but, I've got to memorize and, remember to use it all publicly. Sometimes I hate having to be polite to the world.

I find myself using both terms. Though easier in a colloquial sense to use "Aspies" especially among my own kind.

I prefer Aspie too, just what I'm comfortable with, what feels natural to say to me but, the world is hell bent on being politically correct, a trend that has gone way too far overboard in my opinion. If I were not in the limelight, I'd stick to Aspie/Autie/Autistic but, my life is what it is so, publicly I will go with persons/people/individuals/a person on the ASD spectrum. (Ugh, wordy, long winded PC garbage.)

Add that to my list that includes
Restaurant serving staff (waitress)
Mail or postal delivery drivers (mailman)
Hotel cleaning personnel (maid)
Persons with [xyz] disorder (Schizos, psychos, etc...)
People who enjoy [xyz] type of music (Punk rocker, Metal head, Dead head, etc...)
Disadvantaged youth (gang members, poor people under age 30, etc...)
People in need of assistance (welfare rats, unemployment mooches)
People who acted/behaved foolishly/without thinking it through (stupid people, idiots)
People who talk a bit too much (blabber mouths)
American Cattlepersons (cowboys)
Native American peoples (Indians)
Persons of color (black people)
Persons of Latin decent (Mexican, Chicano, Puerto Rican, etc...)

Too much PC for this Aspie but, I've got to memorize and, remember to use it all publicly. Sometimes I hate having to be polite to the world.

Better you than me.

I have always used the term Aspie. Ever since I heard it when I was around 9 years old, I have used it. For me, it is my identity. I have heard NTs say not to use it, but they are NTs, not Aspies. All my Aspie friends use the term Aspie. It is just more comfortable for me to use than any other term. I was diagnosed at the age of 14 or 15 so I have used it ever since to describe me. That or I just say autistic, but I prefer Aspie by far.

Better you than me.

Better tell damage control not to tell people how to talk about their own diagonses.

I have always used the term Aspie. Ever since I heard it when I was around 9 years old, I have used it. For me, it is my identity. I have heard NTs say not to use it, but they are NTs, not Aspies. All my Aspie friends use the term Aspie. It is just more comfortable for me to use than any other term. I was diagnosed at the age of 14 or 15 so I have used it ever since to describe me. That or I just say autistic, but I prefer Aspie by far.

But the damage control team of one of the posters above tells her not to say that term, and they are all non-autistic.

So you hate having to be "polite" to the world. You seem to hate being told how to talk about a part of who you are. Does you damage control give the arguments that it's defining you by that part of who you are.

Myrtonos There is a difference between who I am and my public image. Part of my job is maintaining my public image, and that includes being politically correct when I speak so that as few people that may hear or read my words as possible are offended.

When people take offence to what I say, they boycott buying a song or tow, or an entire album and, they tell their friends who also refuse to buy my music due to a sense of solidarity. One offended person quickly becomes hundreds if not thousands of dollars lost. Damage Control is here to prevent that and thus, to preserve my livelihood.

I'm sure most of you would use politically correct terminology if every time you didn't, you lost 5% to 10% of your income. Do that too many times and, you don't have an income at all.

Perhaps it's hard for you to separate the image form the person but, that's what anyone in the limelight of society has to do, we are not the images you see and, few ever see who we are, only that image, the image taylord and crafted by experts to be appealing to the largest audience possible for whatever the specifics of our career are.

Now if I were a tabloid journalist, or a talk show host, I'd seek out controversy and scandal, that's what would get people's attention and, get me an audience but, I'm a musician, not a tabloid reporter so, it's my job not to seek controversy or scandal.

Yes, supposed scandal to get attention is done intentionally. I prefer not to do that unless I have no other options to gain attention left to try. I would rather not have to outright lie and claim I slept with Gene Simmons or Ted Nugent or something. LOL.

Myrtonos There is a difference between who I am and my public image. Part of my job is maintaining my public image, and that includes being politically correct when I speak so that as few people that may hear or read my words as possible are offended.

When people take offence to what I say, they boycott buying a song or tow, or an entire album and, they tell their friends who also refuse to buy my music due to a sense of solidarity. One offended person quickly becomes hundreds if not thousands of dollars lost. Damage Control is here to prevent that and thus, to preserve my livelihood.

Remember that Maja Toudal performs music too, and has even released one album so far, and she still says "aspie" and maintains her image.

I'm sure most of you would use politically correct terminology if every time you didn't, you lost 5% to 10% of your income. Do that too many times and, you don't have an income at all.

If you can say "aspie" and still have adequate income (let's say that 5% less is still (more than) enough to support your family), they don't get to tell you how to talk.

The rest of what your write is indeed hard to understand.

Myrtonos
Perhaps it's hard for you to separate the image form the person but, that's what anyone in the limelight of society has to do, we are not the images you see and, few ever see who we are, only that image, the image taylord and crafted by experts to be appealing to the largest audience possible for whatever the specifics of our career are.

Yes, this is the crux of diplomacy. Sometimes we have to smile and say things we don't really mean for the sake of a harmonious bigger picture. Japanese society has been built upon this principal of tatemae, the person you show others, and honne, the real you.

Politicians certainly wouldn't get far without their spin doctors, either. Myrtonos, in some careers, particularly those that entail communicating with many people, saying the "right" words (be they PC, scandalous, sincere, insincere...) is part of the job description and if you need advisors to ensure you say those "right" things, so be it. It's part of the job. My husband is a teacher and must do it or lose his job.

Yes, this is the crux of diplomacy. Sometimes we have to smile and say things we don't really mean for the sake of a harmonious bigger picture. Japanese society has been built upon this principal of tatemae, the person you show others, and honne, the real you.

And in the Japanese language, "I" and "you" can often be left to context, thing being considered polite in Japan, where we have to say it in western lanugages. For example, the sentence 'I like Matcha' translates word for word in many western lanugages. But in Japanese society, speaking their lanugage, the ordinary thing to say, this being considered polite, is literally just 'Matcha likeable.'

Politicians certainly wouldn't get far without their spin doctors, either. Myrtonos, in some careers, particularly those that entail communicating with many people, saying the "right" words (be they PC, scandalous, sincere, insincere...) is part of the job description and if you need advisors to ensure you say those "right" things, so be it. It's part of the job. My husband is a teacher and must do it or lose his job.

That's what he gets for the authority he has over his students. If you must do it to keep your job, fair enough. But if you only get less income, but still plenty by standards of the developed world, you still get to use the words you choose to use. But on this forum, it would in general be better to say "aspie" than person with asperger's syndrome, it's part of the site's name. An exception would be in sentences like; 'At first, I didn't know "aspie" was coined by those with asperger's syndrome...' If you don't like the term, you may as well stay away form any site with "aspie" in it's name. After all, would you consider joining a site called "Homos' central" if you don't like that term? Or "Gingas' central"? Or "Darkies' central"? Even though 'aspie' was coined by those who use to describe something about themselves, someone attacted to the same sex saying "homo," or someone with light skin and naturally orange hair (such as Gingerpickles) calling themself a ginga, or someone of African stock calling themself a darky, still isn't substantially different from someone with A.S. saying "aspie".

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom