• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers+Schizophrenia

This is what unsettled me about possibly having aspergers... is it? or is it Schizophrenia. Apsergers please if I had a choice.

Could it be similar for type 2 bipolar ? I have that but can't help but think I'm in the aspie scale

I too hear a voice. It is the sense of actualisation of subconscious thoughts. I recently watched a documentary on ant colony intelligence and average colony thinking where numerous people were asked the weight of a large object, a cow in this case, when all the guesses were averaged the final resul was actually very close to the actual weight. So subconscious thinking can occupy such a role. I experience a difference of opinion between both my left and right hemispheres. The dialogue has however become an agreement upon a style of courteous reasoning so it has learned to become adaptive to the problem in hand.

Before this arrangement was reached there was chaos! One side was angry because I hadn't eaten, the other was angry I had eaten because I was putting on weight. It was a typical family breakfast internalized! Noisy, distracting, dog-eat-dog, sibling rivalry. The list is simply endless until I realised it didn't have to be this way. By negotiating and allowing, with a little guidance, the two sides to agree on letting me, the person who was responsible for paying the bills and doing the laundry to get on with my life the sense of argument receded and I was alone to do the work that needed to be done simply because we all have deadlines. My voices come back when I am facing something that is uneasonable and where something is wrong through no fault of my own. It remains a straightforward relationship.

Please talk to a psychologist about this, they won't lock you up unless you are a danger to yourself out others. I work with the mentally ill I know the procedures schizophrenia gets with without treatment, not dealing with it is a sure way to get hospitalized. Also it is very dangerous to self diagnose. You can't receive help if you don't advocate for yourself.

I'd say that drug's (any of them), lack of sleep, lack of vitamins & just generally being run down can manifest such occurrences.
But hey what do i know. Just look after your body (not to big-up yourself defensively & be scary), cut out sugar in tea/coffee for +3 weeks, stay true to the community around you & all should be good.

+ Try not to extrapolate too much, we are all clever to a point.
Just be wary of the fact that it'll unhinge you if you are on that point unprepaired.. (don't worry here, tomorrows golden as it's another day to do good)

:redapple:

My psychiatrist noted in a letter that there are links of 'psychic involution' between asperger's and psychosis.

People who do suffer from psychosis don't get locked up like many believe, the overwhelming majority get treatment in the community partly because it's too expensive to keep people hospitalised anyway. I go to a peer support group for psychosis and we're just like everyone else really.

Myself having aspergers and working with a mix of autistic people and people with a form of schizophrenia, I am tempted to say they are very different. I can't look in the brain of a schizophrenic patient but the way they act, talk and respond is so much different from autistic patients. No doubt you can have both but I personally wouldn't compare them, to me it is like saying a cold and hay-fever are the same because both make you sneeze, but that's more from practical experience as theoretical proof.

Excess serotonergic synapse development is common to both, at least according to some studies. I'm not aware of any similarities between the two disorders in terms of brain activity in human subjects, so I'd imagine that the similarities are superficial.
With that said, I've always considered myself slightly schizophrenic. I'm pretty paranoid, and I frequently miss abstracts (initially) and feel rejected and isolated but for (no apparent...solid?) reason. I've been dually diagnosed as depressed, bipolar, and borderline, but for some reason never schizophrenic.

I was diagnosed as both an Aspie & Schizotypal (NOT the same as schizophrenic or Schizoid). So, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that many of us have a little 'Schiz' in us.

Same here. Apparently many ASD people are misdiagnosed with schizophrenia spectrum disorders. I was recovering from a sexual assault that I told no one about, was depressed and had few friends and little trust... schizotypal traits to a psychiatrist who doesn't know the whole story (I made up a lot of stuff because I didn't want to deal with the rape). No wonder he misdiagnosed. So long as you recognize reality, just have a hard time adjusting to it, it's ASD and you're probably not schizo- anything.

I'm pretty paranoid, and I frequently miss abstracts (initially) and feel rejected and isolated but for (no apparent...solid?) reason. .

Aspies feel rejected and isolated because we ARE rejected and isolated. It's not all in our heads. It's not paranoia.

New Threads

Top Bottom