• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's - Perfect vision + Perfect Hearing - Sensory Issues

oskarandri

Most of all people with asperger's have perfect vision and hearing and it can contribute to sensory issues because vision and hearing is sensitive because they are perfect. Some people with asperger's have sight problems and then need glasses, i think there is a lower incident of vision issues then. Prove me wrong or right or agree with me or make a better opinion with this thread.

I'm in doubt, do you have any sources of information to back this up?

I can say from experience that I have a few auditory processing issues and that my visual perception is sometimes faulty. That is, my vision is fine but sometimes I misinterpret what's being seen.

When vision and hearing is perfect, it can be sensitive because you can sense things greater then other people, which can mildly disturb the brain's sensory functions.

I don't have perfect vision. I am nearsighted to the point of being legally blind. They didn't discover it until third grade, when I had problems reading the blackboard. I used to have problems with smudges on my glasses that apparently only I could see. My father would get so angry at me when he would see me cleaning my glasses. He would say that they were clean enough (when they were not!). I realize now he has anger and patience issues possibly stemming from his own childhood but at the time it was not easy being around him because it seemed like everything set him off. Anyway now that I am older (and they say developing cataracts), I can tolerate my glasses being dirty to a degree I never could.

I haven't had my hearing tested in a long while. When I am in a noisy environment I tend to tune in on the loudest sound and so if someone doesn't speak clearly enough or mumbles I can't hear them or can only hear fragments of what they are saying. However, if it is very quiet I can hear things like the hiss of someone's headphones from several meters away. When I tell people that they don't believe me that I can hear their music, but I can. Also, I used to be really scared of noisy public toilets. They were bad enough in the old days, I am glad they didn't have the automatic flush ones like they do now. Again, nobody took me seriously on this, they just thought I was causing trouble just to get attention.

There was a lot about my childhood that wasn't fun because of my sensory issues. I wasn't allowed to have them. Period. And I used to get spanked with a wooden paddle. So I learned to tough it out.

I can't filter out anything, I'm not sure that can be described as perfect, but I do tend to hear things I shouldn't be able to hear. My vision is poor though and I tend to cross my eyes, or close my eyes completely as it seems pointless, and that's the only way I can ignore it.

I have perfect vision. Was told by an eye doctor once that he was amazed because glucoma runs in my family bad. He even told me it may hit me all of a sudden, which is scary. I went to see him when I was pregnant was was seeing weird lights. My eyes are really sensitive to light at night. When headlights are coming at me they have a huge glare and I have a hard time seeing. I prefer dim lights. Store lights give me a headache sometimes but I'm usually ok with it.

I can hear good but there is a certain pitch that I can't hear at all. But I often ask people, "What is that?" refering to a sound. Especially if it's a pattern or constant but low. Most of the time they have to pay attention to notice.

My daughter got a bad report in school this year about her vision. It was suggested to take her to see an eye doctor. I haven't yet because taking her to the doctor is a terrible experience. When they start trying to touch her or get close to her she literally fights them and me. So I'm dreading taking her. I'm hoping the new med she is on will help and have been considering taking her now. I hate taking her to the dentist. The last time, a few months ago, my other two dauthers did great during their check up. When it was Marie's turn she hit the waiting room and refused to go back in. I had to carry her while she was kicking and screaming. She's 9 years old and weighs almost 80 pounds. I just weigh 140 so it's hard on me too. We had to hold her down and the dentist kept saying, "Don't you bite me!" She says she can't breath and screams like someone is killing her when they are just checking her.
She hates loud noises too. She'll scream at me to make them stop sometimes. If it's a train or siren or something to that nature, I have no control over that and she gets mad at me because it hurts her ears.

Have you thought about looking for a dentist who has experience with autistic children? I have a terrible dentist phobia because when I was young my parents took me to a dentist who didn't believe in using novocaine for small cavities. He was popular among parents because he was CHEAP. God only knows how many children he taught to be afraid of the dentist.

I am going to a really good dentist now. She gives me gas and novocaine both. When I first started going to her, she had to give me gas to clean my teeth. Now I don't need it, just for cavities. Since then I have had two root canals and both were relatively easy. She told me that there are dentists in my area that will do total anesthesia if it is needed, so I do know that option is available. I don't know what your circumstances are, but in my opinion, if you can afford it, I think your daughter would really thank you in the long run. Also, I'm not a big fan of drugs normally, but have you considered asking your doctor about sedatives (to be used just before doctor visits)?

I had perfect vision when I was a small child, but developed near sightedness when I was 11 or 12 years old. The optometrist said that this was often associated with a growth burst - I was growing tall very quickly at that age. I had laser surgery nearly 20 years ago and haven't needed glasses or contacts since, andmy eyesight is still good. Although at 46 years of age I am starting to struggle with seeing very fine details and with reading small print in poor light, so I'm going to need reading glasses before too long.

I had exceptionally good hearing when I was younger. Now my hearing is probably worse than average, there is mild degenerative hearing loss that runs in my family. My 3 siblings have hearing issues as well. I only really notice it when I'm doing something like trying to listen to someone on a handphone in a noisy environment. I'm not going to go deaf, but in another 10 years or so I guess I'll be officially "hard of hearing".

Just in my own particular case, I'd have to completely disagree. I have horrible vision. I've been wearing glasses since right after I turned 7 years old & my vision just gets worse & worse all the time. But I still have a lot of visual sensory issues, specifically involving lights (sun, fluorescent lights, light in the home, etc.). As for hearing, my hearing's not very good either. When someone talks to me, half the time I have to have them repeat themselves because I don't really hear them, but at the same time, I can hear a car door slam from a block away or people talking way down the street & all kinds of other things that send me into panic mode.

I don't have perfect vision, but I do have "sharp" hearing. :) I can hear the softest of sounds, but processing the sounds is the biggest issue with me. :-/ My hearing tests came out normal or above average. So I guess it depends on the individual person.

Well, I am going to find out what my hearing ability actually is. I signed up for a hearing study at the local university. I am going Thursday for my first visit. I didn't tell them that I had Aspergers, I want to see what the tests reveal first.

Finished the study. Am feeling a bit blue. I have slight hearing loss in both ears. One ear has lost some low tones and the other ear has lost some high. They said my hearing is actually quite good compared to most people my age (54). They gave me the names of some speech and hearing clinics in the area that can help me with coping strategies. I had wondered, because in the last year or two I was starting to have problems following conversations and it seemed like people were mumbling more.

Most of all people with asperger's have perfect vision and hearing and it can contribute to sensory issues because vision and hearing is sensitive because they are perfect. Some people with asperger's have sight problems and then need glasses, i think there is a lower incident of vision issues then. Prove me wrong or right or agree with me or make a better opinion with this thread.

Troll or misdiagnosed...

Aspergers are usually too sensitive to stimuli, which means that they are misdiagnosed with hearing impairment...

I don't thing that most aspies have 'perfect vision'.

When looking at genetic factors or causes of AS it''s not quite as simple as Mendelian genetics. There are multiple genes and alleles. There's pleiotropy and maybe some epistasis. If epigenetics also factors in anything ASD related is still a bit up in the air.

Myopia and other issues with sight are also pleiotropic as well as environmental. But one should also keep in mind that no matter how great one's sight may be, in theory, given the heightened sensory perception in AS...the fact remains that much more factors into vision. If you also have other medical issue and/or a long family history of vision problems then the role of AS will not play as big a role.

Personally, I have absolutely horrendous eyesight. I am severely myopic but it's the astigmatism that truly makes it so bad. However, with glasses, my attention to the smallest detail, noticing anything 'off' with an image, as small as it may be etc. is very good to many people's annoyance. I think THAT may be closer to being something that AS contributes to.

My father had Asperger's too and both of us were also extremely myopic (-13.00+). My myopia wasn't diagnosed until I was 11 and by then I was so used to being only able to see very close up, that my area of "visual awareness" is small. I also think this may have been the result of unconsciously trying to block out as much stimulus as possible. I still do this. I can hear well, but I have a lot of trouble filtering out background noise. I often have to ask people to speak up or repeat themselves. Right now I'm watching a movie online and having a hard time because of the racket from the constant traffic that runs past my apartment. Genetics are pretty amazing aren't they? I also have the same weird feet as my father, as does my youngest daughter. Thank goodness neither of my children have autism or extreme myopia. Aren't genetics amazing?

Genetics truly are fascinating :D And though I'm not quite as badly myopic (-6.5 and -5.75, R & L respectively) my astigmatism is just...crazy and it's not slowing down. I first was diagnosed with myopia at age 6 (first grade teacher noticed some problems.) And my sight plus the strain I often put on my neck muscles and some issues with the trigeminal nerve all contributed to years of severe migraines 3 of which was almost one continuous migraine.

Anyhow, I also think there may be a significant influence from the sensory stimulation avoidance on this. It could be how one used their eyes which in turn has an impact on the ocular/orbital muscles. It could be the intent focus. Also, it may go undiagnosed for a while (further worsening the myopia) because of the ASD issues communicating, especially if it involves asking for help (well, I know I have huge issues there and I've read other articles/stories mentioning it.) I believe it's likely a mix of all these.

PS. And you mention your dad having AS, and have noticed others mention their dads. I was thinking about it all and I think my dad might be on the spectrum (though I'm already sure he has a mild bipolar II or NOS.)

I have perfect vision. Was told by an eye doctor once that he was amazed because glucoma runs in my family bad. He even told me it may hit me all of a sudden, which is scary. I went to see him when I was pregnant was was seeing weird lights. My eyes are really sensitive to light at night. When headlights are coming at me they have a huge glare and I have a hard time seeing. I prefer dim lights. Store lights give me a headache sometimes but I'm usually ok with it.

I can hear good but there is a certain pitch that I can't hear at all. But I often ask people, "What is that?" refering to a sound. Especially if it's a pattern or constant but low. Most of the time they have to pay attention to notice.

My daughter got a bad report in school this year about her vision. It was suggested to take her to see an eye doctor. I haven't yet because taking her to the doctor is a terrible experience. When they start trying to touch her or get close to her she literally fights them and me. So I'm dreading taking her. I'm hoping the new med she is on will help and have been considering taking her now. I hate taking her to the dentist. The last time, a few months ago, my other two dauthers did great during their check up. When it was Marie's turn she hit the waiting room and refused to go back in. I had to carry her while she was kicking and screaming. She's 9 years old and weighs almost 80 pounds. I just weigh 140 so it's hard on me too. We had to hold her down and the dentist kept saying, "Don't you bite me!" She says she can't breath and screams like someone is killing her when they are just checking her.
She hates loud noises too. She'll scream at me to make them stop sometimes. If it's a train or siren or something to that nature, I have no control over that and she gets mad at me because it hurts her ears.
It may seem like shes mad at you but she just pissed off because of how the train and such makes her feel and the pain it causes, I am the same way.. I dont scream anymore but I still get very pissed off at any noise that bothers me, I have to isolate myself from my two kids at times (10 months is youngest and 5 years is oldest).

My vision is supposedly 20/20, hearing never had checked. However, for reasons unknow to any eye doc ive ever seen I literally have to focus 'harder'. I can easily relax and my entire field of view goes blurry, ive goten better at focusing with age but it still takes a lot more effort than 'normal' folks for me to clear my vision up...its kind of like the auto focus on a cheap-ish digital camera, never fricken works without some extra effort. It can become quite tiresome at times, if i dont let myself relax enough i get some nasty head aches

I have always had 20/20 vision! I was kind of jealous of my friends in like elementary school when everyone was getting glasses. I just thought they were so cool and I was disappointed that my vision was so perfect. Obviously now, I see it as a blessing haha. It's so nice waking up and being able to just see. My hearing has also been extremely exceptional. A little too much so, though. is 4th of July the worst day of the year for anyone else either? God damn, it gives me so much anxiety. It seems to come so fast every year!

New Threads

Top Bottom