• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's - Perfect vision + Perfect Hearing - Sensory Issues

My hearing and eyesight and other senses are way oversensitive.

Gives me super hearing, like being able to hear a car coming up the road from a mile away. But can't pick out a thing with any other noise or commotion going on.

Eyes burn with too much light, headlights, light reflected off snow or wet road, fluorescent or other bright white lights, bright TV or computer monitor or those LED signs on the road. But that doesn't mean my sight is better. Am horribly nearsighted and recently developed astigmatism. In school I never could see the board, I just figured it was human to not be able to see things far away. Don't know the prescription but when I finally got glasses in high school they said 20/400, and that was 24 years ago and I am way worse than that now.

Yesterday, at work, I suddenly became aware of this extremely faint hum, humming at a slightly variating pitch around G/G#. The store was empty, and when I say the sound was faint, I mean almost not there...I doubt anyone with the heightened autistic senses would have heard it at all. It would come, and then disappear, and then come again...about every minute or so. Since the store was so quiet, I became absolutely OBSESSED with finding the source. I spent what must have been fifteen minutes completely focused on it, turning my head this way and that trying to figure out where it was coming from. In fact, I was starting to sincerely wonder if it was real, or if I was having a relapse of psychosis. I FINALLY discovered that it had been coming from a closet that housed an ATM machine.

If I were to tell this story to an NT, they would think I was absolutely nuts...which I am. :)

I think my sensory issues are one of the most measurable physical symptom of ASD. Im not a big fan f natural light. I have thick curtains all over my house, and a thoughtful use of diffused soft light.

Studying photography actually helped me understand light alot better. Color temperatures and diffusion mostly.

New Threads

Top Bottom