• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers Forum

Aspergers Forum 2016-10-03

Unfortunately Ellylldan it will not be resurrected. Some event caused a catastrophe that can't be rectified.

This is sad.

Selfishly I am sad because I thought I found a place where, maybe, I could fit in, somehow.
And then I thought about the guys that created the forum: so much work was done by them to create the forum that would make a difference and suddenly everything is lost. :(

I don't know how to express my support to the guys, and I don't even know how to finish this sentence.. :oops:
(They also had the 'heart' emoticon that I would like to use here right now...)

and the staffs haven't popped up yet to explain what actually happen.
It's a little bit nonsense to me.

I feel similar to Ellylldan, that it could have been a special place for some of us. I feel sad for us, but more sad for those who worked so hard to make it happen. I hope they're ok, and I hope they read these posts to see the support they had and the difference they made in such a short time.

I think they are pretty upset about it. It was a lot of work to build the site.
But at least give an short presentation about the issue? no message, no email.
If Mia and Roy (oh, they were informed) don't reply here, nobody actually know what's going on.
The conversation group is as silent as the dead.
I really have no clue.

P.S. I understand they're sad and appreciate for their effort.

Hey Lena_C, all the Mods received an e-mail mentioning a catastrophic event - it looks like the host lost the whole site and, after a lot of hard work, ill health and stress already, I don't think anyone is able to pick up the pieces.

Give them time to recover and I'm sure they'll be grateful for everyones' support - I'm certainly touched :)

I am not a computer person, but looking at the site I can imagine all the work involved.

I would like to give my condolences to everyone involved and my hope that their grieving process is both quick and thorough.

Love to all,
Omega

When my website went down, the host wasn't required to tell me what had happened.. and they certainly didn't, just kept telling me it was all under data protection - I lost several years worth of effort and thousands of photos of my work.
If it had cost me to have it built I'd also have lost all that money with no explanation.

I still, years later, don't understand the law that protects your own data from you and still have no idea what happened. :confused:

Last edited:
I still, years later, don't understand the law that protects your own data from you and still have no idea what happened. :confused:

Can't say for the UK other than fundamentally very tough tort laws which appear to restrain litigation in general. Which would likely favor a proprietor over a customer. The terms noted in the hold harmless agreement you contractually agree to in allowing someone to host your data. There's an insurance acronym for that- SOL. :(

In the US, "hold harmless" agreements are essentially a device to limit one's contractual liability. Which amount to "the price of doing business" and being legally discouraged from litigating against your host in the event of a perceived loss. However in the event the matter is aggressively litigated, there's no guarantee that the hold harmless terms will stand in a civil court of law.

Last edited:
Can't say for the UK other than fundamentally very tough tort laws which appear to restrain litigation in general. Which would likely favor a proprietor over a customer. The terms noted in the hold harmless agreement you contractually agree to in allowing someone to host your data. There's an insurance acronym for that- SOL. :(

In the US, "hold harmless" agreements are essentially a device to limit one's contractual liability. Which amount to "the price of doing business" and being legally discouraged from litigating against your host in the event of a perceived loss. However in the event the matter is aggressively litigated, there's no guarantee that the hold harmless terms will stand in a civil court of law.

Fair point Judge.. all you need is the time, money and energy to fight it.. or the effectively pre-emptive ability to build the stuff yourself, then rebuild it if you're able.
I've long found that learning to hang a door or build a website is far preferable to complaining to no avail when someone else screws up. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Fair point Judge.. all you need is the time, money and energy to fight it.. or the effectively pre-emptive ability to build the stuff yourself, then rebuild it if you're able.
I've long found that learning to hang a door or build a website is far preferable to complaining to no avail when someone else screws up. :rolleyes:

The one really ugly factor is that cloud-based computing is now the present. Where hosts are increasingly legally and morally responsible for their most basic service. Simply maintaining data and the ability to restore it. No matter how ironclad their hold-harmless agreements may be.

Which reminds me of another similar ugly legal consideration. Will web hosting firms be arguing blame with their own third-party cloud-based firms? Kind of like where an OS manufacturer blames the software developer and the software developer blames the OS manufacturer. Meanwhile the customer is just left there in the lurch.

In this instance though, I for one would welcome it if they chose to reinstall the forum even from scratch minus some 2000 postings. Their intent was good and remains as such for me.

Last edited:
I feel a lot better knowing it was probably just a host snafu. Undoubtedly very crushing for the team. I'd be a fine ball of grumpy feathers if it was my site that just got gobbled up by eMonsters. I hope we can have another go after they process the shock of it. I'm really regretting now not saving a webpage or two. Archive.org didn't even have time to make a snapshot of it.

The host deserves a right smack upside the head though. I might have been in computer networking for only a short time, but one thing they drilled into us was BACKUPS. If you're going to be a professional and handle folks' data, you always have at least two hard drives for everything minimum. About the only way they can be excused is if they had a tornado come through or something that destroyed all their hardware.

Lena_C

I have no answers for you, something happened and the site vanished. The site owners are not required to give you an explanation. Perhaps in time we will discover what happened. I know little more than you do. Don't assume that I have insider information, anymore than anyone else.
I think you misunderstood my meaning.
I'm not saying that you know everything and of course never assume you do.
I write this because only you and Roy reply here to describe what's going on.
so, if you two didn't reply, nobody really know what's happen on AF.
I'm not judging you and never think you two owe me anything.
This is a thankful quote (thanks for the information), nothing negative here.
I think it is clear enough now?

Lena_C, the info I put in this thread was really the only factual info I have. The owners of the site sent the mods an email saying there had been a catastrophic event, later explained as the site being gone from the server. That is all the info I've been given, so I can't offer any more on the exact event that caused this to happen.

I also heard in a private message that the owners are extremely stressed and upset and just want to move on. There are other issues in their lives, too. Under the circumstances I don't know if they will be visiting AC any time soon...

I honestly can't say more than that as I don't know more and I can't reveal info from private messages anyway.

I can say that the mods are all very disappointed, grieving, and I think that's why many of us haven't been here.

I'm sorry I don't have more info but that's really all I know. :herb:

Lena_C, the info I put in this thread was really the only factual info I have. The owners of the site sent the mods an email saying there had been a catastrophic event, later explained as the site being gone from the server. That is all the info I've been given, so I can't offer any more on the exact event that caused this to happen.

I also heard in a private message that the owners are extremely stressed and upset and just want to move on. There are other issues in their lives, too. Under the circumstances I don't know if they will be visiting AC any time soon...

I honestly can't say more than that as I don't know more and I can't reveal info from private messages anyway.

I can say that the mods are all very disappointed, grieving, and I think that's why many of us haven't been here.

I'm sorry I don't have more info but that's really all I know. :herb:
I know, and you really no need to feel sorry, Cosmophylla, there's nothing wrong on you.(and of course everyone here)
Sorry for being cold-hearted again, as I always do. :oops:
But we really need to think what the next step we should take.
Feeling upset because of the effort(AF) was gone is absolutely understandable, but we shouldn't just stop by here.
You know, the aims of AF, all of us come here is hoping for something can change, and giving support.
If we want to do some big things like this, our emotion really need to "shut off".
Otherwise, we will end up like some emotional NT that we dislike in our daily life.
So, stay strong, we need to tell the world we're the spectrum of Awesomeness!

I know I will be hatred after these speech. :rolleyes:

I know, and you really no need to feel sorry, Cosmophylla, there's nothing wrong on you.(and of course everyone here)
Sorry for being cold-hearted again, as I always do. :oops:
But we really need to think what the next step we should take.
Feeling upset because of the effort(AF) was gone is absolutely understandable, but we shouldn't just stop by here.
You know, the aims of AF, all of us come here is hoping for something can change, and giving support.
If we want to do some big things like this, our emotion really need to "shut off".
Otherwise, we will end up like some emotional NT that we dislike in our daily life.
So, stay strong, we need to tell the world we're the spectrum of Awesomeness!

I know I will be hatred after these speech. :rolleyes:

Not at all! Hatred is extremely strong and I can't see that you've said anything that even comes close to warranting hatred. :rose:

And I agree with you, which is why I've been on AC every day and posting and being as friendly as I can... Because I want to spread the good feeling we had at AF here as well. I know it won't be the same as AF, but I can do my best.

We can all keep the spirit of AF going through our own posts. This place is what we make it, together. Well, that's what I think.

im worried about me when i am 18... i think a lot of getting job, saving up money and get a apartment a place... then i concern.. is there any internet there? I need internet to search for a apartment in a new country.. I already thought about the privilege in getting job and to live there so... and i bought a pc to take with me when i'm grown up as i accidently began the addiction on it... The pc is for my grown up life and i'm saving money now... trying to get a part time job.. D: help!

New Threads

Top Bottom