• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers and Marijuana

My husband is undiagnosed Aspergers and now retired. He is now addicted to pot. He smokes it every night. It does make him talk. But also makes him want to argue when he is finally talking. I've wondered if the AS like the pot better than the NT?

His white blood cell count was up. The doctors did further testing and said "you have spots on you lungs - not good" the beginnning of the end. They said quit smoking or you will get cancer fast. The doctors told him pot is worse for your lungs than ciggarettes. He smokes a pack or more a day.

My conclusion - pot causes cancer to the lungs.
I tried marijuana when I had asthma. It triggered an asthma attack that nearly killed me. When I got my breath back I liked the sensation so much that I asked for another hit. No one thought this was a good idea except me. I was hooked and smoked pot for the next 18 years. I am on recovery today and have been for the past 25 years. I don't know what NT's experience when they smoke pot, but I was better able to understand my thoughts because it slowed down my mind. I would also become engrossed with reading whatever was available. This translated into an major improvement in my writing skills. This baffled my felliw potheads. It also baffled them when I moved on to harder drugs. I think the effect of marijuana is different from person to person, as well as bag to bag. It had its benefits for me and it had its negative impact as well. It sounds like your husband is addicted. I will pray for you both!

Marij
Marijuana is non-habit forming, which makes it one of the safest medications to take. No one has ever died from a marijuana overdose. It does not cause cancer. It works for my anxiety better than any medication I've been on, and without the wonderful side affects some of them have. I noticed the other day that I'm able to speak in complete, coherent sentences, and carry on a conversation when it's in my system. If any of you knew me outside of AC you would understand what an amazing feat that is for me. I'll keep you posted if I notice anything else positive or negative.

Marijuana is different for each person. I became addicted and moved on to harder drugs. I am not saying that is your experience, but it was mine and my fellow pot smokers. It did have some very positive effects for me, and I do believe it has great potential for ASD. Smoking it was a bad idea. Cannaboid oil is being used in Canada and Israel to treat a number of brain related maladies. It may have great potential in the treatment of ASD, but more research is needed!

Marijuana is non-habit forming, which makes it one of the safest medications to take. No one has ever died from a marijuana overdose. It does not cause cancer. It works for my anxiety better than any medication I've been on, and without the wonderful side affects some of them have. I noticed the other day that I'm able to speak in complete, coherent sentences, and carry on a conversation when it's in my system. If any of you knew me outside of AC you would understand what an amazing feat that is for me. I'll keep you posted if I notice anything else positive or negative.

Marijuana and virtually anything at all can become habit forming. People get addicted to all sorts of things that bring them pleasure and become a problem. Food, sex, video games, petty theft, I won't bother listing more obvious things like hard drugs, and yes Marijuana.

I am glad that Marijuana is becoming legal as it helps people with many medical issues. Also for a drug that causes a relatively low level of impairment it is ridiculous to harshly criminalize people for it and burdens the system and tax payers. For example, I don't want to see impaired people on the road but I would rather be on the road next to the guy who smoked a big fatty rather than the one who drank 10 beers in the last 2 hours.

It irritates me a little when Marijuana users speak of it like there are no negative health effects at all however. For one thing it is smoke you are putting in your lungs. Where there is smoke there is tar (and usually other nasty chemicals). How can something that makes people cough so much while using not be doing SOMETHING harmful? Smoke has a negative impact on your lungs whether it came from a cigarette, a joint, a bonfire, a pile of burning car tires...etc. Those things will not be equally harmful, but none of them are helpful. The second thing is the studies that show teens who's brains are in development show a permanent slowing of brain development with heavy use. This is one of the current hurdles being addressed in the legalization in Canada now.

Myself I don't use it anymore. I did sometimes in my early 20s if I was with friends who were using it. At first it gave me the giggles something fierce. Once I got used to it after smoking it a number of times it would just make me very mellow and tired. After about an hour or so I would not like the feeling and want to return to normal. If I mixed it with a significant amount of alcohol I would get so sick I turned green and puked for hours. It's just not for me and I don't enjoy it. Also the taste and smell is horrible in my opinion, probably like licking a skunk's ass (I can only imagine).

I don't care if people want to do it in a recreational way sometimes. What I can't stand is the burn out loser who's entire existence revolves around pot. You know the guy, permanently high, has a ton of weed related tee shirts and paraphernalia, he may be a white guy with dread locks who laughs a stupid forced fake sounding laugh at virtually everything he says while blowing smoke through his honey mustard yellow teeth, coughing up a lung every 5 min. Those people I think could be made into something more useful such as... dog food. Or maybe fertilizer.

And whats with the heavy coughing all the time? I did that when I was new to pot. With my friends I would smoke once evey 2-4 weeks on average (This is when I was 20-21 and lost contact with those friends, and weed after). I got used to it enough that I coughed almost not at all. I don't get how people who use it all the time never seem to build that tolerance to it.

EDIT: I just wanted to add I remember it being a wonderful sleep aid for me. Say I had to work the next day but I didn't feel tired. Literally half a lung full and that's all I would need to sleep like a corpse and wake up refreshed the next day.

I once had a boss who gave some to his middle aged truck driver friend who had not touched it since he was young. It put him to sleep so effectively he said he had to climb into the bunk of his truck first then light the joint. If he smoked first he almost couldn't make it into bed.

Last edited:
It is a 'steryotype' thing Camden. Pot is not socially acceptable and so peoples minds are generaly closed to the imformation. Yet the drugs we take everyday are KNOWN to kill and seriousley damage people. When we get the prescription the list of harmfull effects is Huge. But that is socialy accepted so it's ok. Even though pot has never killed anyone, The sterytype says 'pot is for stoners' so people arnt going to accept it in this time and society. It's not about the facts, it's about whats 'acceptable' in peoples minds. At one time to own a black slave was the norm. It was the social acceptable thing and so it was ok. Now it would be apoaling . At one time it was an acceptable idea that a man would spank is wife for misbehaveing or to keep her 'in line' (if you don't beleive that watch I Love Lucy, or some old John Wayne movies), that was just normal. The ideas peole have and the ways ppeople and society think about things change over time. The particular concepts themselves don't change, but hte way people think about them do. One day pot may (and I beleive it will) be accepted for it's medical benifits. The change is starting already but still not spread enough to be overall acceptable.
I believe there are medical benefits if marijuana to be explored that would benefit mankind. I also believe Hemp has great economical benefits. However, studies do indicate long term use causes major neurological and physiological problems. The Colorado legalization experiment has failed. The prison population has increased in juvenile facilities due to marijuana violations. The black market for marijuana has increased and drug cartels have located to the state. They push more than marijuana. Auto accidents have increased due to impaired drivers. Also, there have been fatalities due to children ingesting marijuana infused candies and such. Its not a benign harness drug.

I'm just fasinated on an article I read that marijuana can't cause lung cancer but it can help prevent it. They said that tobacco smokers who also smoked marijuana were at slightly lower risk of getting lung cancer than tobacco-only smokers. It may be surprising to some but other lung cancer patients use cannabis products for support. I searched some kind of strain from Three Kings and search its medical properties. It may sound to good to be truth but i wanted to hear your thoughts about it guys. So whats you idea about this one? Have you tried cannabis to help you from any medical conditions you have?

I don't like the effect weed has on me, so I don't smoke it.

Weed used in moderation is fine, when your entire life revolves around it its not fine, its an addiction and I'm a bit sick of the "you can't get addicted to Cannabis" nonsense - I know enough people in my life that are indeed addicted to it that testifies the complete opposite.

I do believe it helps me in social situations, with anxiety and also insomnia. In saying that though, I only use it rarely and only eat it as a cookie or brownie. I refuse to smoke ANYTHING.
I recently saw a television documentary about a young guy who had a severe stroke and couldn't speak or communicate at all, but was able to after being given cannabis. It has also been enormously helpful for children with severe epilepsy and in pain relief for cancer patients.
So I do believe it has medicinal properties which won't really be fully understood until it becomes legalised for medicinal purposes.

I do believe it helps me in social situations, with anxiety and also insomnia. In saying that though, I only use it rarely and only eat it as a cookie or brownie. I refuse to smoke ANYTHING.
I recently saw a television documentary about a young guy who had a severe stroke and couldn't speak or communicate at all, but was able to after being given cannabis. It has also been enormously helpful for children with severe epilepsy and in pain relief for cancer patients.
So I do believe it has medicinal properties which won't really be fully understood until it becomes legalised for medicinal purposes.
I agree, for medicinal purposes the benefits seem to be astounding.

I thought seriously on this before posting. When I smoke marijuana over 25 years now...Just now I notice that I get higher than most people. This impairs me to drive at times I seem to get high regardless of what strain unless it isn't high grade which is what I am used to. The connection with aspergers is what I am struggling with... I been reading Cannabis Spirituality an excellent highly recommended book! Is the reason I get so high unlike others because of my Aspergers I am not getting enough blood flow to the frontal lobe or brain? Can this all be scientifically explained? I had no clue till past year or paid more attention how others tolerances are not the same..I smoke 3-5 times a day maybe more. I use a 300 dollar vaporizer the mighty from Germany best healthiest way to smoke same with dabs. Dabs live resinhit me so hard I hallucinate sometimes this has never happened till recently...am i experiencing a awakening or making myself worse? Would appreciate comments or anyone with similar experiences? Thanks...Erik

My husband is undiagnosed Aspergers and now retired. He is now addicted to pot. He smokes it every night. It does make him talk. But also makes him want to argue when he is finally talking. I've wondered if the AS like the pot better than the NT?

His white blood cell count was up. The doctors did further testing and said "you have spots on you lungs - not good" the beginnning of the end. They said quit smoking or you will get cancer fast. The doctors told him pot is worse for your lungs than ciggarettes. He smokes a pack or more a day.

My conclusion - pot causes cancer to the lungs.
Conclusion: if I ever do weed, I’m gonna be doing edibles.

I would Never use it ,I’m too Sensitised to anything that has a sedative quality ,there aren’t many members who could take it legally .

There's so many dozens of threads on this subject. I have to say it's probably worth finding one of the more recent ones, and adding your own thoughts onto it rather than restart the same thing again.
Some do, some don't, some only have access to horrible black market stuff that's all entirely devoid of CBD. People who like it are probably getting better stuff, innit? ;)

I have a legal medical card here in my state in the US. What’s legal medically are oils that you use a vaporizer for or capsule form.

I’ve basically stopped trying it. It does help control racing thoughts and has a calming effect.

When going the medical route I’ve been surprised how clueless the staff is. I had to do research of the strains available and pretty much tell them what strains I wanted.

Maybe I should give it another shot with some alternate strains.

But overall I get limited effects of calming my mind and relaxing, the same effect as two pints of beer. ;)

There's so many dozens of threads on this subject. I have to say it's probably worth finding one of the more recent ones, and adding your own thoughts onto it rather than restart the same thing again.
Some do, some don't, some only have access to horrible black market stuff that's all entirely devoid of CBD. People who like it are probably getting better stuff, innit? ;)

I think some of the threads are hidden In the “members” section and may not be available unless your a vip member?

I think some of the threads are hidden In the “members” section and may not be available unless your a vip member?
you can go in to the members section ,just be aware if it says VIP you’ll have to pay to be able to use the VIP section.

I am pro-pot, but don't smoke it myself. My biggest problem is that, with my autism I tend to freeze easily. Several years ago I was with my sisters and we smoked a joint together. Freezing is worse when you're high and I hated it. But so many people, it calms them and helps them. And I've seen how it makes some people much nicer. :) So I guess my opinion is that it depends on how it affects each person.

Do any of you smoke it and if so do you find it helpful or a hindrance?

I don't smoke ANYTHING. Smoking is gross and its a waste of quality herb.
Back in the dark days of prohibition and no vaping technology everyone who used cannabis smoked it, and it was all a bit similar, and expensive. The first thing people want to know is how high they will get for their money. This meant that the cannabis available in the black market had been bred for usually no active compounds other than the THC. That was all that people valued.
The inhalation of combustion products with THC and entirely devoid of CBD is a 100% completely different drug experience to the inhation of a known, personally preferred, balanced ratio of CBD and THC vapours.
The scare stories about the danger of skunkweed seem to be from this time of prohibition, and related only to the THC-only varieties that developed as a direct result of prohibition.

There is a significant hangover from the prohibition. Thousands of varieties of cannabis exist but most of them were bred in the bad old days. The price of this easily grown garden herb is still ridiculously insanely high, and people's main concern is often still how high they can get per dollar/quid spent.
People are still setting it on fire and sucking up the combustion products. It will change, I'm sure, but it will take time. One day it will cost the same as tomatoes. Or just grow your own lol. One day more people will have a less adolescent attitude towards using it. There'll always be idiots who want to prove their masculinity or that they're grown up by consuming more than their friends. They don't represent anyone but themselves and they don't represent the plant!

People have existed for the last 200,000 years and there have ALWAYS been cannabis plants. They were here first! The plants are part of the universe. How can one person tell another person that a certain part of the universe is permanently forbidden and out of bounds?
Besides we got along well enough for 200,000 years until the stuffy politicians made it illegal in 1971. Then the problems started.

But to answer your question about whether it's helpful...
(If you vape or eat but don't smoke it) Yes, it has a lot of positive effects for this autist. I put that down to the knowledge and respect that I have for any and all mind altering compounds, though.

To take some shady mildewy unknown "stuff" willy-nilly and in no particular set and setting (mindset, surroundings, time of day, in company/solitude, on full/empty stomach, on the couch or standing, with/without other substances, etc!) would be irresponsible and likely to result in undesirable experiences. It's only useful if you know what to do with it.

For my autistic mind, the RIGHT amount of the right CBD:THC ratio for the time, in the right set and setting, can be a better way to relax and let go of stress than anything else I've ever experienced.
I like to let my thoughts organise. They are so jumbled sometimes. All those experiences and interactions, and my thoughts and feelings from the day.
Like my thoughts are the shapes in the game Tetris, I need to get the thoughts to fit together cohesively and settle, take up less space.
I need to defragment my hard drive. :cool:
Then when that's done I can really relax. I like soothing music and soft cushions, my furrrry heated blanket, a hot chocolate, and maybe some reading later, or watch an upbeat movie/anime.
I'm so glad that nature has provided me with such a useful tool for altering my mind in a deliberate, controllable, pleasant, and predictable way. I'm so glad that I have been born with the enquiring mind and reasoning ability to use such tools responsibly and safely, and for my own benefit.
I'm so glad I don't follow the rules laid out by greedy strangers in positions of authority who don't care what's in my best interests. I'm so glad I can think for myself, do my own research; take ownership of my body, my mind, my self.
I am so glad I'm intelligent and autistic, and I am so glad that I have access to proper connoisseur cannabis with known and proper CBD:THC ratios. I'm so glad that Dinafem bred the variety "Dinamed CBD Plus".

Others may condemn you for using a herb. You may want to keep your use of this part of the universe a secret. But please don't stop thinking for yourself.
Those people I think could be made into something more useful such as... dog food. Or maybe fertilizer.

New Threads

Top Bottom