• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and Fashion

What's fashion!? LOL.

I used to get help a lot from my parents and now my girlfriend regarding shopping for clothes and what to wear. I can't go out and shop by myself, I've tried but always feel like I'm going to make a bad decision so stick to my default which is blue jeans, plain t-shirts and I also tend to wear a pair of tennis shoes. I also have a few different coloured plain hoodie's which I occasionally wear. I tried to go out shopping with a friend, he bought a top for £70 - I couldn't understand the logic behind it.

When I was younger I used to have a habit of wearing my jacket all the time when I went out, even through the summer just because I thought that I supposed to wear a jacket.

I don't know how frequently it is acceptable to wear clothes I usually go for once a week. I used to have an office job and rotate six plain polo shirts through the five day working week.

I recently went to a job interview to work in a warehouse, I was the only person to wear a suit.

I don’t know if it’s fashion, form, or function but I feel naked unless I’m wearing double thick Carhartt parts even though I work in an office and do nothing construction-like in my day to day life. I know that rough fabric & clothing texture seems to bother most aspies, but I absolutely love the feel & heavy weight of wearing canvas, double lined pants. It’s similar to having the heavy weight of a blanket on top of me at night: It, for some reason just makes me feel more secure.
I really like heavier linen for the same reason, and full skirts--the weight is very nice. Also like very thick sweaters in cold weather, again for weight but I also like feeling the knit texture with my fingers, it's comforting.

I recently went to a job interview to work in a warehouse, I was the only person to wear a suit.

I used to wear a suit too, because I couldn't figure out what constituted professional vs. casual dress. For women, it's quite complicated. Got in trouble once when I worked in administration because we had a meeting with the college president and apparently, although he wore a suit, it was not appropriate for me to do so because my boss was not wearing a suit...how was I to know what she planned to wear?!

I don't care about trends at all, I don't care whether I'm accepted by the general public or not, but at the same time I do get fearful of it due to social anxiety.

I wear what I wear because I like it. That being said...

I have a sensory overload issue, with sights, some sounds, and touch. As far as touch goes, I don't like a lot of fabric touching me, as I'll soon feel a bit constricted, and I like to feel like I have freedom of movement for my body. So, I mostly wear shorts and either short sleeves or sleeveless. I'll only wear long pants if I'm going out in cold weather, going to church, or if the occasion requires proper dress (No shorts, for example.) I don't do suits, and neckties to me are just one more thing to get in my way.

I do care about my appearance in that I don't wear oversized clothing, all of my clothes fit properly, and close to the body, without being too tight. Shorts do not go past the knee--one of the consequences of wearing properly fitted clothing, and a consequence that I am MORE than happy to live with. Also, I try to keep my clothes in great shape, no holes or tears.

I actually can be quite picky about my clothing - strangely, not for the texture and not for the comfort, but for the actual style. I count fashion as a form of art. I know exactly what styles are me and which are not. Not that I would count myself as a fashionista - I really wouldn't. But when I was really young, I was not into clothing at all. Most days, I'm typically wearing clothes that are these things: comfortable, matching, decent, and fitting. It can either be drab or stylish - depending on my mood. Nothing particularly fancy. I do know my fashion quite well but it isn't my obsession.

I never had any innate fashion sense, and it took a while for it to dawn on me that clothes matter a lot in social situations and how people judge you.
So I just practiced and researched a lot.
I wouldn't say I know anything about fashion, but I now know how to dress acceptably bland without looking sloppy or gross.
That's good enough for me.

I don't dress fashionably, I dress for comfort. But I do have an interest in fashion, I just can't wear anything I want to due to sensory issues. I love the video games Style Savvy and Style Savvy Trendsetters, I get to be fashionable without wearing anything.

One of my biggest interests/obsessions is fashion and creating "looks", I didn't care for it until I was around 19, but at the moment I'm very interested in the psychology surrounding fashion and how it changes people's perceptions, among other things. I've always been told I dress very unique, but I obviously never sacrifice comfort for looks. If you're willing to spend time looking into it there's a loooot of comfortable yet good looking clothes. I just love spending time creating new looks, almost like different personalities with each coordinate.

(honestly, I dressed in boys clothes until I was 12 (and then very comfortable baggy clothes all the way to 16 and then I started making an effort by 19/20; I also was frequently told by hairdressers that they'd cut off my hair if I didn't start taking care of it).

I am mostly interested just from a historical perspective.

Otherwise I run into an endless conflict. The self should be evaluated for itself and not for external decorations. And this dressing up is not much different from some bird grabbing a feather and hopping up and down to attract attention/a mate. Can we not think beyond that? On the other hand it can be quite interesting/attractive, and I can't help sometimes but fall under its influence.

Anyway, at what point did humans begin to use clothing and then when did they start using it beyond ulitarian purposes? Why? Do we continue for the same reasons?

Last edited:
I love 80s fashion and 60s military clothes, like the m65 army jackets. I actually have a jacket like that. I love aviator sun glasses and leather jackets. I wish the 80s women hair style would come back. You know, the Linda Hamilton Terminator 1 hair style. I have a thing for women of the 80s.

I rather like fedoras, but I don't wear mine very often in public any more because I feel like it doesn't go with jeans, and that's all the pants i have right now. Also there's a lot of hate out there for them for some reason. Instead I wear a longshoreman's cap, which my mom got me in Ireland. I really like it.

I have to be comfortable with my current body. When I lose more weight, I plan to update my wardrobe to look a little more styling and possibly manage to keep it in range of ideal comfort. I work a metering machine with a conveyor style scale, so I need to wear closed-toe shoes. I can wear sandals but they need to be the well-made fancy kind and not flip flops.

I have several V Neck tees and a few pairs of jeans. I have dressy tops, some t shirts and lots of comfy shoes. I rarely wear skirts.

I want to get a little more girly, ultimately. I'm single, a new-lifer. I earned it, so I'll flaunt it. Hehehe

i am a jean and polo shirt kinda guy and i am clean cut but on women i find dresses high heels furs even low cut incredibly sexy just like the next guy

I have to be comfortable with my current body. When I lose more weight, I plan to update my wardrobe to look a little more styling and possibly manage to keep it in range of ideal comfort. I work a metering machine with a conveyor style scale, so I need to wear closed-toe shoes. I can wear sandals but they need to be the well-made fancy kind and not flip flops.

I have several V Neck tees and a few pairs of jeans. I have dressy tops, some t shirts and lots of comfy shoes. I rarely wear skirts.

I want to get a little more girly, ultimately. I'm single, a new-lifer. I earned it, so I'll flaunt it. Hehehe
you are looking beautiful keep going miss gorgeous get that sexy on i was once 296 now i am 175 bc of cycling

I recognise the importance of fashion but it's just never been a priority on my list for my limited money. If I had lots of disposable cash then clothes would probably be the first thing I'd buy as I need new clothes. My clothing choices are limited.

New Threads

Top Bottom