• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ASD vs ADHD

vergil96

Excuse me if my questions are basic. But is it possible to have ASD without sensory issues? From what I've gathered ASD and ADHD tend to be confused in diagnosis. What are the differences, when taking into account that sensory overload, meltdowns as well as stimming can result from ADHD?

I believe there's a fair amount of overlap with the 2 conditions. My previous 2 therapists also suggested unresolved trauma also mimicking the aforementioned conditions.

I'm currently reading Scattered Minds by Gabor Maté which is about ADHD, and he too (a Dr) was diagnosed with ADHD later in life.

Ed

Hi and welcome to the forum. We are all so different that it's impossible to make enough different boxes to slot us all in to. I'm ASD2 but I have few sensory issues. I'm extremely sensitive to high pitched sounds, I can't stand the feel of nylon clothes, and I don't like peas or beans if they've been cooked but I like them raw.

As for stims, in public I tend to stroke my beard a bit and people think I'm just cogitating. I also have one of those levels of intellect and perception that scares people if I let too much of it show. In private I sometimes pace up and down a bit while I spin off into a daydream, and I sing to myself sometimes.

I'm sort of the opposite of attention deficit, I'm someone who hyperfocuses to the complete exclusion of the rest of the world.

Coincidence: I had started looking at this video and saw this thread topic.

"This video explains in pictures the difference between
adhd and autism and the neurodiversity rainbow."

The words were more useful to me than the pictures.

It's fully possible to be autistic and not have sensory issues. While it certainly true that they are very common among autistics and they are one...trait, I dunno if that's the best word to use but that's the best I can think of, that's used in the DSM-5's diagnostic criteria for autism, it's not a 'you must have sensory issues to be diagnosed as autistic', it's a 'you need to have at least two of these four things and one of those things is sensory issues'. (I am simplifying it, of course there is more to the DSM criteria than just 'you do at least two of these things wow you're autistic!' but you get what I'm saying, right?)

And yeah, there certainly is a large overlap between autism and ADHD, but there are still certainly differences between the two. Good example would be how a lot of autistics can have a strict reliance on routines whereas ADHD can cause a distaste for routines.

Excuse me if my questions are basic. But is it possible to have ASD without sensory issues? From what I've gathered ASD and ADHD tend to be confused in diagnosis. What are the differences, when taking into account that sensory overload, meltdowns as well as stimming can result from ADHD?
Hello and welcome. Looks like you are getting some good input from others, so I just wanted to add don’t worry about asking simple questions. We all have to start somewhere with our understanding of things, and basic questions can be helpful to those too timid to ask. Hope you find the answers you are seeking.

Last edited:
In my diagnostic report my psychiatrist wrote: "...a diagnosis is based on the number, persistence, prominence, pervasiveness and overall clinical significance of the identified ASC traits. These have conventionally been grouped into three broad symptom-domains - Social Interaction (SI), Social Communication (SC), and Restrictive and Repetitive Interests and Behaviours (RRB) - with the frequent additional presence of sensory-motor features (S-M), although these are not diagnostically required. The latest versions of the two main diagnostic classificatory systems (ICD and DSM) no longer make a domain-level distinction between SI and SC, instead considering these together as a single, integrated ‘Social’ domain."

Last edited:
To make a generalized overview is rather ignorant due to the vast continuum. (just like generalizing anyone's authenticity of their individualism melted down into a vast label)

I will contradict myself and say adhd is more bias to lack of concentration/lack of routine discipline and autism is more biased towards hyper-fixation/disciplined to upholding routines. Not to say people with adhd cant hyper-fixate their focus but it is only regarded for events/things they especially like and or use to self-soothe.
You can light your torches and head to my village if you like since I said this but this is the shallow shortcut understanding I have of the two rather similar conditions.

Sensory for both conditions can vary to having a lot of issues to have none. The joys of diversity.

Also take in account age as well. For instance I was very impulsive, loud, class clown in my adolescent years. As I aged I became more self-aware and noticed that being like that draws attention to me and wastes more energy in result of it. Now I am highly calculated, cool, calm collected. Maybe this was a strategy or maybe this was me coming into my finalized brain wiring.

More semi legit info below.

1681225780489.png

Last edited:
The Venn diagram @Vindiesel posted and the video @tree linked are a great place to start OP. Other comorbid conditions/disorders that occur with an autism diagnosis include anxiety, OCD, hyper mobility/eds, GI problems, depression, epilepsy, and many more. I myself also have anxiety/adhd and *possible ocd, but I’m doubtful on that one as I have had signs in my thinking/thought processes that mirrored it*

We must not forget again that all NP diagnosis are highly individual so of course there are stipulated criteria's to get said diagnose but than its many other factors on how said diagnos present itself. Such as age / gender (in general men have more out showing tics than wimen /level of said diagnose not to forget how many and what (if any) co morbid diagnosis (and again this are also highly individual same as said ordinary diagnose.

ADHD and ASD is as said in earlier replies indeed in many cases co existing and as such the two diagnosis often overlap making it rather difficult to conclude from what diagnose said tic or dificulty occur.

Last edited:
I'm very grateful to read the responses in this thread, as I believe I've developed some kinds of ADHD traits--or they have become more apparent in my life, as the overlap between the two is massive. My fiance struggles with ADHD, and has sensory issues like me and must stim like me as well.

I'm extremely sensitive to high pitched sounds, I can't stand the feel of nylon clothes, and I don't like peas or beans if they've been cooked but I like them raw.
These are sensory issues? I can't stand high-pitched sounds either. They're louder than normal sounds and most people don't even hear them. And I have IBS-type issues. I basically can't eat raw vegetables, because they make my stomach hurt. I find it very hard to explain it to people, because it's super complicated, I just play the "I'm allergic to pretty much everything" card.

I can't stand the feel of nylon clothes,
I wear almost only cotton. Artificial fabrics are sweaty and itchy. (I sweat profusely tho)

I didn't know these could be sensory issues, although my therapist suggested that my IBS could be that. But I still think it's not as severe as most people from the autism spectrum report. Things I can't absolutely tolerate are only food-related and unexpected touch. The other things are just annoying and uncomfortable.

I also have one of those levels of intellect and perception that scares people if I let too much of it show.
High five :p

It's fully possible to be autistic and not have sensory issues. While it certainly true that they are very common among autistics and they are one...trait, I dunno if that's the best word to use but that's the best I can think of, that's used in the DSM-5's diagnostic criteria for autism, it's not a 'you must have sensory issues to be diagnosed as autistic', it's a 'you need to have at least two of these four things and one of those things is sensory issues'. (I am simplifying it, of course there is more to the DSM criteria than just 'you do at least two of these things wow you're autistic!' but you get what I'm saying, right?)

And yeah, there certainly is a large overlap between autism and ADHD, but there are still certainly differences between the two. Good example would be how a lot of autistics can have a strict reliance on routines whereas ADHD can cause a distaste for routines.
Ok, I see, it's about the number of symptoms from a range.

I'm wondering though, I'm quite distractable (ADHD), but I tend to over-rely on routines to get boring things done, because if I structure things, it makes it easier to for example find objects (I lose keys, wallets etc. in my own wardrobe and then look for them for like half an hour, it's so frustrating). I have already figured out that medical descriptions of neurodiversity can be very misleading, they describe reasons why someone does something in a wrong way very often.

In my diagnostic report my psychiatrist wrote: "...a diagnosis is based on the number, persistence, prominence, pervasiveness and overall clinical significance of the identified ASC traits. These have conventionally been grouped into three broad symptom-domains - Social Interaction (SI), Social Communication (SC), and Restrictive and Repetitive Interests and Behaviours (RRB) - with the frequent additional presence of sensory-motor features (S-M), although these are not diagnostically required. The latest versions of the two main diagnostic classificatory systems (ICD and DSM) no longer make a domain-level distinction between SI and SC, instead considering these together as a single, integrated ‘Social’ domain."
Thank you for sharing. That makes sense.

To make a generalized overview is rather ignorant due to the vast continuum. (just like generalizing anyone's authenticity of their individualism melted down into a vast label)

I will contradict myself and say adhd is more bias to lack of concentration/lack of routine discipline and autism is more biased towards hyper-fixation/disciplined to upholding routines. Not to say people with adhd cant hyper-fixate their focus but it is only regarded for events/things they especially like and or use to self-soothe.
You can light your torches and head to my village if you like since I said this but this is the shallow shortcut understanding I have of the two rather similar conditions.

Sensory for both conditions can vary to having a lot of issues to have none. The joys of diversity.

Also take in account age as well. For instance I was very impulsive, loud, class clown in my adolescent years. As I aged I became more self-aware and noticed that being like that draws attention to me and wastes more energy in result of it. Now I am highly calculated, cool, calm collected. Maybe this was a strategy or maybe this was me coming into my finalized brain wiring.

More semi legit info below.

View attachment 100733
I like the graphic. Especially for listing all the common symptoms. It's not that often to talk about these aspects of ADHD. Or maybe that's just me, I was never formally diagnosed and nobody talked about it to me in depth before, maybe I should have done that. Although I'm afraid I would be dismissed, because I "cope too well". (It came up during mental health asessments, that I have ADHD traits but won't get it diagnosed, because I don't have problems resulting from them such as learning difficulties or behavioral problems) It happens a lot with medical professionals. I mean, my ADHD is pretty obvious, I've even bought myself a book for CBT to work with it and it had a few useful ideas. I'm very impatient and lose things, forget about appointments, I fidget and multi-task a lot and interest plays an important role in whether I'm good at something, I just won't pay attention to something I don't like. I say blunt things on an impulse. I have almost every possible symptom. At the same time, I don't find it concerning. The book was helpful with organization of daily life.

Thank you everyone for such informative answers :)

New Threads

Top Bottom