• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

AS and eating to alleviate overload - anyone experienced this?

This is very curious. I have this too. In order for it to "work" I HAVE TO BE ALONE!! If anyone so much as talks to me, that's it.

Do you have trouble with food otherwise? Can you otherwise eat in public? I cannot.

Can you say more about how food effects you? This has been the disabling part of whatever happened to me and I am so curiuos to see others have this at different levels!
I don't have problems eating in public, although I don't really enjoy the food unless I can shut the world out to some extent - if I'm eating at a table with people talking, I don't taste the food, somehow. Maybe a kind of sensory overload?

Food generally makes me happy, though... :) It's strange, though: if I'm mildly stressed/anxious/depressed, I tend to eat and eat and eat without ever feeling full. If I'm really stressed/depressed, then I can't eat at all and I actually lose weight for as long as the feeling continues.

I don't have problems eating in public, although I don't really enjoy the food unless I can shut the world out to some extent - if I'm eating at a table with people talking, I don't taste the food, somehow. Maybe a kind of sensory overload?

Food generally makes me happy, though... :) It's strange, though: if I'm mildly stressed/anxious/depressed, I tend to eat and eat and eat without ever feeling full. If I'm really stressed/depressed, then I can't eat at all and I actually lose weight for as long as the feeling continues.

oh my gosh. You are very much describing what happens to me. When I was young, they labeled me with anorexia and it was not even that. I could not eat because of a stomach trouble, but then, when that got better, this weird thing with food persisted.

It is much like you say only it has disabled me. Are you male or female? I am female, so they just assumed it was eating disorders. But when I was in hospital, I was so NOT like the women with eds.

Being woman you always get misdxed. I still deal with that.

Food is a drug. It has chemical effects on our body.

As a former emotional eater, I would analyze how I felt before and after I ate certain things. Bingeing on junk felt kinda good about relieving terrible tension, but the aftermath was very sucky.

I also sought out new ways to relieve stress. From avoiding it in the first place (this is made of awesome) to meditation, long walks, and immersing myself in creating something positive, these were strategies that worked much better than what I could cobble up from a child's perspective.

Also, disordered eating results in a disordered metabolism; so when we eat in a dysfunctional way we disrupt the hormones which give us proper feedback; so then we eat even more disorderly... it's a vicious feedback circle that turns into a Death Spiral of poor choices.

oh my gosh. You are very much describing what happens to me. When I was young, they labeled me with anorexia and it was not even that. I could not eat because of a stomach trouble, but then, when that got better, this weird thing with food persisted.

It is much like you say only it has disabled me. Are you male or female? I am female, so they just assumed it was eating disorders. But when I was in hospital, I was so NOT like the women with eds.

Being woman you always get misdxed. I still deal with that.
I'm male, so getting dxed wasn't too hard - I fit the stereotype. ;)

So you can't eat at all when there's other people around? Does it make a difference if they're interacting with you, or ignoring you? What about if you know the people, vs if they're strangers?

My spouse does that, food for him is extremely soothing as is playing guitar. If he were to consider one over the other, he would likely choose food.

His mother told me years ago that as an infant, he used to cry all the time. She thought it was croup, and brought him to the family doctor, and mentioned the constant crying. He asked her how much she bottle fed him, and she told him. "It isn't enough for his size, and weight" the Doctor told her, "he's your largest, longest baby". She had fed him the standard amount that she had given to her other children. She brought him home, gave him one bottle which he drank, then two more, then he fell asleep. After that she fed him more. She thought it was an amusing story, I didn't.

Since that time or because of it, food has been something so important in his life, that irregardless of anything else, he has to eat, or panic sets in. He's not particularly overweight, it's simply the most necessary thing to him. At lunch for example, he wants to know what's for dinner. Whether this is a function of his childhood starvation diet, I don't know. Or a function of his autism, and the desire to have a constant touchstone with meals. Something known and to be relied upon, that makes him content I don't really know.

As for what to do about it, smaller portions, smaller plates, more liquids, no temping things kept or bought that are easy to snack on. I'm certain you know about these things anyway. Locking yourself in the bathroom, to have a bath, a walk perhaps. A rule of no food after nine o'clock at night, might help a bit. Actually I eat what I consider to be only fresh foods now, vegetables, fruit, small amounts of protein. It's helped to keep the cupboard bare of easily accessible foods that I can eat standing up in the kitchen, and furtively. Peanut butter is my friend:) So as during any difficult and stressful time, don't stint too much, it makes it more stressful. When things are in flux its hard to not grab a cookie, and that kind of iron self-control is difficult to hold onto. Perhaps later, when things are more settled. Pick your time.
I'm glad you posted this. All my son wants to do is eat, eat, eat, and we have been restricting his diet, otherwise he would eat all day long... I'm wondering if its the right thing to do now?? I also wonder if my mother did the same to me, because (until recently) food was one of my greatest stress reliefs and you could say obsession. I just hope I am not hurting my sons future by restricting his diet, he is perfectly healthy physically and even though he eats even more than me he doesn't gain much weight. Maybe he really does need to eat more.

You're correct, Prader Willi Syndrome is a collection of symptoms caused by a partial or complete deletion of the paternal chromosome 15. Symptoms include intellectual disability (varying in severity), behavioral disorders, hyperphagia due to insatiable appetite, and the resulting childhood obesity, with increased risk of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.
I wonder if my son also suffers from this? His appetite is insatiable, and almost EVERY symptom described, he exhibits.. I will have to check into it somehow. I'm pretty sure where I live it's relatively unheard of and under diagnosed. Does Prader Willi and Autism spectrum disorder often go hand in hand?

@Blast off
Prader Willi and autism can coincide. Many children with PWS have at least some characteristics of ASD. It might be worth looking in to, if you know early at least you'll know if your dietary restrictions for your son are necessary or not.

@Blast off

I know in my husband's case food was and still is to a certain extent very important. He's not overweight, and he ended up being quite a bit taller than any of his brothers.

Last edited:
If I am upset I eat a lot. If I am really really upset I won't eat at all. I have never heard of "emotional eating" associated with aspergers or autism. Anyone can use food instead of drugs or alcohol or sex or whatever to comfort themselves.

I have this issue too. I believe its a kind of stimming - self stimulatory behaviour to fend off sensory overload.
I dont think its emotional - although emotions are often involved. For me its usually once ive been out and about and had a few triggoring or stressful aspects of my environment get to me and build up pressure.
Everyone responds differently to food, because it is an intense sensory experience. But when I am like this Im pretty zoned out, not focused on the food and just want something to soothe my insides - my internal environment as a whole which is in utter chaos.

For me, what works is finding an alternative behaviour that is compatible with yourself/what going on for you. It also requires a fair bit of self-awareness of the state you are in and enough willpower to be patient while you soothe yourself/'shake it off' in an alternative way, which will take time, as its generally a substantial buildup - about to be a meltdown.

I have a rebounder (mini trampoline) which is kind of painful to get of when you feel that way but if you can just bounce a bit and keep going all the stress will come out. Also, having a cold shower, writing/drawing or yoga (yoga again feels painful to try do when you start but your whole body will feel better after - I like youtubes 'YogawithAdriene'). Also body shaking, this is actually from QiGong and is something many aspies do intuitively/naturally because it does give relief to sensory experiences
Also
As long as noone is around.. you can really get into it and really shake out all the overwhelming experiences

Lastly I would say cultivating some strict rules around food. I am gluten-free, dairy-free, and grain free, I only eat free-range/"crueltyfree" meat occasionally and try to mimic a plant-based diet.. so this eliminates basically all junk food, takeaways etc.. If I crave something sweet I can make a smoothie with some soy-milk, stevia, ice, konjac fibre and whatever flavours I like - vanilla essence, peanut butter, cocoa, lemon, coconut.. This satisfies craving but has no sugar (I rarely use fruit and if I do, I use low-GI berries) and is soothing to my gut (and thereby my brain and nervous system)

I have this issue too. I believe its a kind of stimming - self stimulatory behaviour to fend off sensory overload.
I dont think its emotional - although emotions are often involved. For me its usually once ive been out and about and had a few triggoring or stressful aspects of my environment get to me and build up pressure.
Everyone responds differently to food, because it is an intense sensory experience. But when I am like this Im pretty zoned out, not focused on the food and just want something to soothe my insides - my internal environment as a whole which is in utter chaos.

For me, what works is finding an alternative behaviour that is compatible with yourself/what going on for you. It also requires a fair bit of self-awareness of the state you are in and enough willpower to be patient while you soothe yourself/'shake it off' in an alternative way, which will take time, as its generally a substantial buildup - about to be a meltdown.

I have a rebounder (mini trampoline) which is kind of painful to get of when you feel that way but if you can just bounce a bit and keep going all the stress will come out. Also, having a cold shower, writing/drawing or yoga (yoga again feels painful to try do when you start but your whole body will feel better after - I like youtubes 'YogawithAdriene'). Also body shaking, this is actually from QiGong and is something many aspies do intuitively/naturally because it does give relief to sensory experiences
Also
As long as noone is around.. you can really get into it and really shake out all the overwhelming experiences

Lastly I would say cultivating some strict rules around food. I am gluten-free, dairy-free, and grain free, I only eat free-range/"crueltyfree" meat occasionally and try to mimic a plant-based diet.. so this eliminates basically all junk food, takeaways etc.. If I crave something sweet I can make a smoothie with some soy-milk, stevia, ice, konjac fibre and whatever flavours I like - vanilla essence, peanut butter, cocoa, lemon, coconut.. This satisfies craving but has no sugar (I rarely use fruit and if I do, I use low-GI berries) and is soothing to my gut (and thereby my brain and nervous system)
Thanks Alice - that is really really helpful.
It also pretty much exactly describes what happens to me - it doesn't seem to be in response to being in an emotional state as far as I can see, more to being overloaded in some way - usually by trying to fit into something social, but I don't get anxiety.

The rebounder sounds fun - and I do yoga with Adrienne too - will check out the chi gong shaking.

So far, in the midst of what is a pretty high pressure time, I'm managing a one day at a time approach which isn't too overwhelming and seems to be working...

I can absolutely relate to you. I'm a graduate student now and I feel so very uncomfortable to be in class. After I come home, I have a tense in my brain that feels like tightening my brain and I cannot help stopping eating in order to feel more secure and let the tense in my brain and all my body go. However, just like you, I hate this habit of mine especially as I also dance ballet. My current diagnosis is PDD-NOS, but I am on the long long waiting list for the official diagnosis of ASD, because I'm pretty sure I have Asperger's (ASD). I feel you and it never gets easier...

No idea if this is an AS issue or just life....

I've used food to deal with the moments when feelings build up to breaking point for as long as I can remember. It's often at the end of the day, when the melee of kids, untidy house, work, tiredness suddenly hits and I feel an intense need to zone out. At this point very often I head to the mindless eating zone - I don't feel great about it and I'd absolutely love to break the habit.

At the moment we have the perfect storm - lots of change, kids on holiday, moving house, busy at work, relationship in crisis (probably as a result of the above) and the end of day eating is getting out of control - I'm generally pretty fit, have to treat my body and mind well in order to get through life in one piece and the sugar consumption is throwing me off balance but I'm struggling to manage it.

Anyone else experienced something similar? Any ideas what to do about it?

Thank you
Yes, I do this - have done since I was a kid. I remember the trigger event.....unfortunately, things have gotten so stressful over the past few years that I have lost control and have gained a lot of excess weight, and struggling to get the eating back under control. I have often wondered if it was some kind of stimming for me - I seem to think it will energize, fortify, ground, or soothe me, depending on my need. I don't know that it does - the end effect is that I am less and less healthy, less energy, everything is worse. Thank you for posting this question, I was wondering if anyone else uses food this way. For me, I don't think it is just simple emotional eating - it sounds like it, and there are similarities, but I feel something else Aspie is going on.

Eating certain foods creates more serotonin in the brain. I've started Niacin Therapy (there's a thread) which does much more for my brain without undermining my health, and so I can eat better, too.

Yes, I do this - have done since I was a kid. I remember the trigger event.....unfortunately, things have gotten so stressful over the past few years that I have lost control and have gained a lot of excess weight, and struggling to get the eating back under control. I have often wondered if it was some kind of stimming for me - I seem to think it will energize, fortify, ground, or soothe me, depending on my need. I don't know that it does - the end effect is that I am less and less healthy, less energy, everything is worse. Thank you for posting this question, I was wondering if anyone else uses food this way. For me, I don't think it is just simple emotional eating - it sounds like it, and there are similarities, but I feel something else Aspie is going on.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but it seems like a vicious cycle - the more negative you feel about yourself and the less energy etc the more stressful life becomes, the more difficult it is to be resilient and thus the need to alleviate the triggers increases - hence more eating.

Food does all the things you mention for me at certain times - I find some kind of balance by exercising (alot) and nowadays recognising when life is becoming over stimulating and taking some downtime - mediation, resting or whatever. In fact when I start doing the kind of mindless eating it's now a signal to look at what else is up in life, what's throwing things out of balance and addressing this rather than feeling guilty and battling with the eating.

Not easy for you though Ambi if you've got ongoing severe difficulties - and it's understandable that you've slipped into this loss of control. Sounds like you want to break the cycle - how are you tackling things at the moment?

Eating certain foods creates more serotonin in the brain. I've started Niacin Therapy (there's a thread) which does much more for my brain without undermining my health, and so I can eat better, too.
Will look it up - thanks that's really helpful.

I do this, I believe it is the dopamine released by the overeating that reduces my anxiety overload. I can get the same feeling from exercise and meditation, but I can never think of it while overloaded. Food is there and is just too easy.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but it seems like a vicious cycle - the more negative you feel about yourself and the less energy etc the more stressful life becomes, the more difficult it is to be resilient and thus the need to alleviate the triggers increases - hence more eating.

Food does all the things you mention for me at certain times - I find some kind of balance by exercising (alot) and nowadays recognising when life is becoming over stimulating and taking some downtime - mediation, resting or whatever. In fact when I start doing the kind of mindless eating it's now a signal to look at what else is up in life, what's throwing things out of balance and addressing this rather than feeling guilty and battling with the eating.

Not easy for you though Ambi if you've got ongoing severe difficulties - and it's understandable that you've slipped into this loss of control. Sounds like you want to break the cycle - how are you tackling things at the moment?

I've tried so many things, read so many books, but the eating has still been out of control! The will to stop it, and to exercise, to do anything good or healthy for myself has been close to nil. I am also having my thyroid checked out, as that may be an issue. I just also felt like I had reached my limit some way internally, and was now breaking down and just the floodgates have opened. I did have an unexpected realization about what might have caused a lot of the hopelessness and shame I have been feeling lately, and - this may be a phase, as this just started happening - suddenly I am no longer so hungry. I even forgot to eat a meal today, and that *never* happens. So I am hoping that I have turned a corner and will have the strength to apply healthier strategies - before the opposing force has just been to strong these past couple of years.

I've tried so many things, read so many books, but the eating has still been out of control! The will to stop it, and to exercise, to do anything good or healthy for myself has been close to nil. I am also having my thyroid checked out, as that may be an issue. I just also felt like I had reached my limit some way internally, and was now breaking down and just the floodgates have opened. I did have an unexpected realization about what might have caused a lot of the hopelessness and shame I have been feeling lately, and - this may be a phase, as this just started happening - suddenly I am no longer so hungry. I even forgot to eat a meal today, and that *never* happens. So I am hoping that I have turned a corner and will have the strength to apply healthier strategies - before the opposing force has just been to strong these past couple of years.

I also hope you've turned the corner - it's not easy to break longstanding habits.

New Threads

Top Bottom