• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you proud of having Autism.

I am proud of being on the spectrum not only because it is a part of who I am, but it allows me to do things that many neurotypicals can't. When I take an interest into something, I can generally get myself to reach high levels at it. On another note, I feel like this thread offers an insight into why we as the "aspie community" aren't doing better. I usually use the deaf community as the ideal for what the autism community should strive for. The deaf community has their own culture, schools,organizations, and jobs. The deaf have such a strong pride in being deaf and also the elements of their culture such as sign language. They have pride to the point that if they have the option of being able to hear, they would turn it down in order to remain deaf. They also come together to fight against discrimination against their community. The "aspie community" doesn't have any of that and pretty much relies on neurotypicals to fight our battles for us.

Most days, not really. Honestly, being on the spectrum can suck. Somedays i want to be able to do things like wear tights or make friends or go to a party without having a breakdown. I'm on the highest functioning end, but still an aspie, so i don't fit in with anyone. I'm far more socially adept than most autistics i've met, but i'm a mess when around NTs. The only thing i really like is how far i can get into my special interest and hobbies, and i'd like to think i do some really cool stuff with that. Autism isn't something to be proud of for me. It just exists, sometimes to seemingly make my day miserable, and rarely to make it tolerable.

For me it depends on the day. Most days I'm indifferent to it. Some days I see it as a curse. When I got back from my last therapy appointment, I talked a little with my GF about it. She asked me if I am happy with the person I am. I replied that I am "Honest, loyal, intelligent, compassionate & passionate; what's not to like?" I am not defined by whether I have Asperger's or not, but rather on the person I am. That helps me to be realistic on who I am. Another time when I mentioned that being on the spectrum is like a curse, she replied that's just a part of whom I am, but that does not change the fundamental nature of me as a person. So I guess the answer is no, & I shouldn't feel that it defines me as a person.

Oh heck yes. Real proud. And we need a flag. This is a used one but I don't think they'll mind sharing.

strongbadia_flag.jpg

As a rule, I'm not proud of anything I didn't personally accomplish. However, I am proud of how I cope with a lack of social interaction. Have adopted various strategies.

Only if I was a genius and had professional friends and colleagues in a field I was goo goo gaga over. Then I’d feel like I had a fulfilling and joyous life.

I'm proud for my autism cause it contributes to who I am. It's the sensory issues, anxiety, and depression that is the issue. Take all that out, and I'd be a happy person. There are plenty of people who have autism but don't suffer from these three things.

On another note, I feel like this thread offers an insight into why we as the "aspie community" aren't doing better.

"Doing better" in what sense? If you mean our general inability to find permanent, stable employment, then the answer is simply because the vast majority of employers want people working with and for them who can carry on a conversation, or help customers, without the situation becoming embarrassing. After all, who ever heard of an aspie salesman, barista, or lawyer? If by the expression "doing better" you are referring to relationships, it's because most people (who are en-tees, approx. 98% of the population) communicate in ways that those who like to call themselves aspies or autistics cannot even begin to understand, never mind appreciate (ex. most forms of humour, gossip, joking in the workplace). If by "doing better" you are referring to the tonnes of bad publicity we tend to attract, well that's usually due to the fact that most people just don't like those they perceive as being in any significant way "different", or "weird". It's just bigotry, pure and simple.

I usually use the deaf community as the ideal for what the autism community should strive for. The deaf community has their own culture, schools,organizations, and jobs. The deaf have such a strong pride in being deaf and also the elements of their culture such as sign language. They have pride to the point that if they have the option of being able to hear, they would turn it down in order to remain deaf. They also come together to fight against discrimination against their community. The "aspie community" doesn't have any of that and pretty much relies on neurotypicals to fight our battles for us.

I just don't understand this attitude, I have to admit. What we should "strive for" is a cure, not acceptance. People who are deaf are handicapped. The same can, and should be, said about those who are blind, or crippled. If I were deaf I would want to be able to hear, not join some online "community"! Being handicapped is not something to be proud of; that's just stupid.

"They have pride to the point that if they have the option of being able to hear, they would turn it down in order to remain deaf." - Well, then I expect those people will not claim any form of governmental financial assistance due to their handicap. Why should others pay for those who are unwilling to improve their situation, due to misplaced pride?

New Threads

Top Bottom