• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you proud of having Autism.

I don’t experience a sense of pride about something I have no active hand in. I didn’t choose how I was born, so it makes no sense to me to feel pride for that.
I’m proud of my own accomplishments.

It’s okay. I don’t view it as a proud or ashamed thing. It’s just a thing to accept and deal with.

Now that I know about it, I’m learning to cope with the downsides. And I’ve taken too much advantage of the upsides to back out now.

Not proud. It is what it is.
Just how I was born.
There is fear of rejection if I tell people.
Also have anxiety/panic disorder and depression.
I try to keep people from knowing that, too.
Doctors or psych are only ones I talk with on those subjects.

No. I can only feel pride for my achievements, and having Aspergers is something that happened to me and which I didn't choose, so it's not a personal achievement.

Neither can I say that I'm ashamed of it - it is what it is, and I am who I am.

I don’t know that I would call it pride?

Learning to accept that things aren’t as they once seemed and adapting.
Taking apart a view of myself and rebuilding it to include new information.
Having the confidence to think I am still okay.

I don’t know if there’s a word that describes all of that?

No. That's like being proud that I have brown hair. My general impression, and I recognize that not everyone feels that way, is that "Pride," as something you feel about whatever you happen to be, is primarily a political thing, or a psychological way to protecting yourself from negative responses to who or what you are, or a way of boosting a weak ego.

Yeah, that's probably pretty pedantic, but I don't see the question as being properly addressed by "yes" or "no."

What traits in me can be attributed to autism, and not just me being an individual? Sure, there are the stereotypical autistic traits, but I wouldn't be proud of headbanging or melting down. It is called a disability for a reason.

Would I be happy for the positive traits? Yes, but I don't think it makes up for the bad.

I don't mind it. I do wish I were NT sometimes but things are the way they are for me and I make the best of the situation.

I don't feel proud of it in any way. As others have said, it is what I was born as, and I had no hand in being it.

What I am proud of, is how I use some of the talents being on the spectrum has given me, because that has been a practical choice I have made.

I certainly don't see being on the spectrum as a disability, despite the fact it is sometimes a little challenging, but I am quite happy for people to know if I have any interaction where deficits might be apparent, and otherwise puzzling or likely to be misinterpreted.

What I am is happy that I am on the spectrum, because I am happy being me.

Yes, but more in the sense of rbelieving that being autistic is just as worthy of celebration as being non-autistic. In the sense of not being ashamed, wanting to be who I am instead of wanting to be someone I'm not.

Interesting question. ASD is a part of who I am. Some aspects of it certainly make my life more challenging, but I wouldn't want to "cure" it because that would change who I am.

I wouldn't say I'm "proud" of it, but not embarrassed either.

It's just a disability to me like my dyspraxia. I get occupational therapy for one and physical therapy for the other.

Hm, to me it would be like being proud of being born or having hands. I don't love nor hate it. It's not something I've done. It's just me and although it gives me problems from time to time, I wouldn't exchange it for being 'normal'.

In some ways I'm OK with being Aspie, others not so.

Being on the spectrum means I can't get a job, am still single at 42, and am still a virgin (and no, that doesn't mean I work for old man Branson)

I was born this way. So I don't really have a genuine way of comparing being Neurodiverse to being Neurotypical. Must be my Aspie logic getting in the way. ;)

I can only tell you that I try to do the best to live as I am. Which admittedly just doesn't always pan out favorably for me.

Last edited:
I'm proud of it in pretty much the same way someone would be proud of their sexuality. It's a fundamental part of me that I can't change so I might as well be proud of it. :) It makes me who I am.

New Threads

Top Bottom