• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you proud of having Autism.

No, however I am proud of being O-positive blood type. We are number 1! YEAH!

No, however I am proud of being O-positive blood type. We are number 1! YEAH!
YES! That's me too! And I'm donating blood tomorrow.

I wonder whether the person receiving my blood would be scared to learn that the blood came from someone with ASD, and be worried they'd catch it.
:D

YES! That's me too! And I'm donating blood tomorrow.

I wonder whether the person receiving my blood would be scared to learn that the blood came from someone with ASD, and be worried they'd catch it.
:D

Meh, that person would have to be a complete moron.

It's a known fact that it is impossible to "catch" Autism.

Most of the time? I hate it. I resent what I am and what everyone on this forum is. I hate being apart of a species like you all. The general laughingstock of the internet. Sometimes, the general accepting attitude of this site angers me. I hate the idea of being like the rest of the internet and embracing autism.

Most of the time? I hate it. I resent what I am and what everyone on this forum is. I hate being apart of a species like you all. The general laughingstock of the internet. Sometimes, the general accepting attitude of this site angers me. I hate the idea of being like the rest of the internet and embracing autism.

If you think the rest of the internet embraces autism you really haven't gone outside this website... I'm bombarded by stupid "autistic" jokes everywhere I go online and even facebook alone is full of ableist rubbish and cure rhetoric. I'd love to be on the internet you're on. Swap? :rolleyes:

If you think the rest of the internet embraces autism you really haven't gone outside this website... I'm bombarded by stupid "autistic" jokes everywhere I go online and even facebook alone is full of ableist rubbish and cure rhetoric. I'd love to be on the internet you're on. Swap? :rolleyes:

What do you think I was referring to when I said "general laughingstock of the internet"?

I meant I hate this site for embracing autism.

There are some parts of me that love the fact that I'm autistic, and there are some parts of me that detest that fact.

Because I'm not autistic, I am myself, I am an individualist and I truly enjoy doing the things I like because I like them, not because other people do, and I believe my autism shaped me to be that way. I was never meant to fit in, so I stopped trying. And that's positive.

But my autism has also limited me in many ways. Eye contact makes me uncomfortable, so I usually look around while looking at the person every few seconds to acknowledge that I'm listening to them. Even though I understand most sarcasm, I don't understand all sarcasm. And a lot of other social cues just slip right past me. And I really want to have a girlfriend, but I've never had a relationship work out (let's not get into that.). The only time I got kissed by a girl was on my cheek, and I honestly tried to push her away for a second because I didn't fricking (can I swear on here?) except that. To be fair, it was our first date and I was highly uncomfortable the whole time.

My personal belief is that humans are basically animals who are "intelligent", compared to other animals. But we have the same basic purpose. All animals live to reproduce, it's their ultimate purpose. Why would humans be any different? So the fact that I might never reproduce is a thought that scares me greatly. And the way I am now, the chance that I'll find a wife in the future isn't very big.

I meant I hate this site for embracing autism.

It's not compulsory to come on here. You do have a choice. We on the other hand don't have a choice about being autistic. But we choose instead to try and work with it, because it ain't going anywhere. Autism isn't just for Christmas, it's for life.

I'd like to apologize for my outburst.

I hope you're feeling better now.

Sometimes it's good to vent, but it's also good to be mindful of the arena in which you're venting so as not to offend too many people; especially people who can understand your frustration and feel your pain if you convey it correctly.

You take care of yourself.

Even though I would have expressed myself differently, I can relate to what you say here about the "accepting attitude" that so many on the internet, especially over at YouTube, have when it comes to autism and A.S. I don't accept the belief held by many that it is just "a different neurology"; no, it is more than that, it is so much more than just being "eccentric" - it is a handicap.
Yes, a handicap. I realise that many now embrace the neurodiversity cult, and cannot think anything bad about autism, but no, to be perfectly blunt and honest, I would much rather be normal. "What is normal?" I hear you say. Well, it means, among many other things, being able to do all of the things that others (the vast, overwhelming majority) just take for granted. You know, like understanding another person in a conversation and not taking everything they say literally. That's one example. There are many others, like not having hypersensitivity issues when it comes to certain lights and sounds, but you get the picture.

Most people feel shame for things which are outside of their control. It's difficult to say what we aught not to feel shame for. One could argue that the entire personality is sum of total experiences; true for autistic people and all people. Most everything we do is a reaction to stimuli and the attempt to divorce the "self" from this circumstance can be very difficult to do. The "self" is simply all these influences considered in the present tense. In that context nobody would have cause to be proud of shameful of anything.

I'm not completely on the side of a strictly deterministic point of view. However, that said, many things people take pride or shame from are as circumstantial as being born that way. If someone wants to take pride in being autistic..........what's the harm?

I am proud in the same sense as meaning not ashamed and feeling that I am just as much a person as any NT. And as much as I hate being so horribly over sensitive to noise and light I also see it as somewhat good. By being unable to attend loud events I am saving my hearing. Also I have to sticking to smaller, low key events I get quality that might be overlooked by someone with a less sensitive nervous system. And then I think the ASD may let me notice sneaky spiders, hear the subtle differences in what various animals sound like walking through the woods, notice approaching storms long before they are in sight or ear range, and unfortunately get fixated on a tiny dot of mustard on a skirt to the point I had to get rid of it because I couldn't get that tiny stain out. However I really don't feel like wearing a t-shirt announcing Autism. The word is vague, the definition vague. I started out with Aspergers, now it's ASD, and hopefully someday it will just be a list of traits, negative and positive so I have a better idea of what to do and not do with all of it.

Even though I would have expressed myself differently, I can relate to what you say here about the "accepting attitude" that so many on the internet, especially over at YouTube, have when it comes to autism and A.S. I don't accept the belief held by many that it is just "a different neurology"; no, it is more than that, it is so much more than just being "eccentric" - it is a handicap.
Yes, a handicap. I realise that many now embrace the neurodiversity cult, and cannot think anything bad about autism, but no, to be perfectly blunt and honest, I would much rather be normal. "What is normal?" I hear you say. Well, it means, among many other things, being able to do all of the things that others (the vast, overwhelming majority) just take for granted. You know, like understanding another person in a conversation and not taking everything they say literally. That's one example. There are many others, like not having hypersensitivity issues when it comes to certain lights and sounds, but you get the picture.

I was going to dispute your point, but I realise that really you are right. Not a handicap in the common sense of the word, but in terms of how we relate to the rest of the world, and the fact the rest of the world does little or nothing to accommodate us, being on the spectrum is a real handicap.

While I have to say that I would most certainly not want to be normal, because I am very happy as I am, and with the capabilities that being on the spectrum has granted to me, interfacing with the world on its terms, not mine, is a constant battle requiring lots of energy and effort.

I regard the 'issues' I have as little more than an Aspie version of the issues normal people all have too. Everyone struggles with something, often many somethings, and I am no different. But my partner is an Aspie too, so the one thing I have now that I didn't before is someone I understand entirely without having to fight for it, and who understands me too, the same way. That is certainly a major relief!

New Threads

Top Bottom