• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are most aspies spiritual in nature or atheist?

Speaking of myself, I am an atheist. I hold myself to my own moral code not anybody else's.
I believe that what is legal may not always be right and that which is right may not always be legal.

A "Thearchist" is someone who acknowledges the Thearchy (not to be confused with a theocracy, the rule of priests). More details at Daniel 2, particularly vv. 44, 45.

It is a little more committed than simply believing in the existence of God. James wrote,

"You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe [that]—and tremble!" James 2:19 NKJV

It is recognizing His claim to rule (and His terms of amnesty).
Thanks for the explanation :) I'm shocked to discover something that google couldn't explain to me.

I'm agnostic I believe that there very well could be something that we dont yet fully know about but I don't of think religion or science can fully explain it either it's something we may not know for a very long time.

This topic came up a whole back (a year or two ago, maybe?) and the general consensus is that we're no more or less likely to be spiritual vs agnostic vs atheist than anyone else. It's an interesting thread to read, if you can find it again.

I'm personally a Heathen - that is, a follower of the Germanic faith and Germanic/Norse Pantheon (Odin, Freyr, Thor, etc).

I've seen no 'Aspie tendency' either way. But just to make a comment, some atheists consider themselves spiritual, so that word has a broader meaning.

Except that "truth-seeking, fact, realism, pragmatism, and science," and "religion, belief, faith, and deism," are not antithetical to one another. One person can have/seek all of these things. Not only "not antithetical" but religion and deism definitely are about truth-seeking, albeit sometimes by different means or in regards to different things than is the case with science.

The difference between an atheist and a religious person isn't that one of them seeks truth and the other doesn't. It's that they disagree over what actually is the truth in regards to the existence of God. But they can both value truth equally, and seek it with equal fervor. (And they will both be equally ready to explain how the other person failed to find the truth).

Agree. Both an atheist and religious person can be wicked and both an atheist and religious person can be moral/ethical. Beliefs really have little to do with the needs, compulsions, complexes and level of consciousness of each personality type. I have experienced both an atheist/agnostic group and a Hindu-type religious group. To be honest, I found more spirituality among the atheist/agnostic group in their search for the truth, their open-mindedness, and their reflexive attitude towards individual differences. The religious group had, by definition, an approved cannon and any idea expressed outside of that was frowned upon. Really, it was all about maintaining the hierarchy of power - who could say and think what based on your hierarchy in the organisation, who had to be subservient to who. It did have some admirable, ethical practices too, such as vegetarianism and non-violence (albeit their views on the use of aggression were a little simplistic). This is not a denouncement of all religious groups, just the particular contrast I experienced firsthand.

New Threads

Top Bottom