• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are most aspies spiritual in nature or atheist?

Overlooking the insult here, I myself can understand the logical coherence in postulating the existence of an ultimate, transcendent and non-contingent explanation for why there is what there is. It need not be any of the traditional 'gods' (in fact, I would be really surprised if any of those gods did turn out to be real), but rather what some have referred to as an ultimate ground of being. That is, the point at which one can say that the necessity for finding an explanation that circumvents the infinite regress issue regarding possible explanations, is satisfied.

Those who believe physical reality to be all there is or could possibly be, are engaging in serious intellectual overreach. In spite of what S. Hawking may believe (i.e. "philosophy is dead" - The Grand Design) the question itself is one that only philosophy and logic can actually address, the methodology of science being - by design - an inappropriate tool for the task. Yet... so many believe that if 'science' says this or that, then that is that. No, it isn't. 'Science' does not ever say anything: scientists, on the other hand, do, and being human they are susceptible to all of the flaws that everyone else is susceptible to, such as bias. The method of science was developed to overcome this inadequacy, but it also isn't perfect (although, in my own personal opinion, it is the best method of uncovering the truth we have). However, even having said this, I realise that other disciplines, like philosophy, are intrinsically valuable for their own reasons, and I believe it is extremely important to not fall into the (once again, philosophical) trap of scientism.

Yes, 'Aspies' do tend to be more logical than most people, but there is so much more to us than just logic. We are not automatons, or shallow cariacatures like Spock or Sheldon Cooper, and yet for some weird reason the majority on this planet expect us to behave the way they do. Fascinating, as Spock might say.

My apologies, I intended no insult, and I'm sorry if what I said came across as one. To me clear, just because I can't understand does not mean I think less of the people who think or behave in a the way I can't understand. I know well that people of intelligence and education can be deeply religious, and I respect that and am glad that they gain something from their beliefs even if it makes no sense to me.

I certainly is odd that some people expect us to fit the cliché that the media portrays, but alas stereotyping is common and will probably continue to be for a very long time.

That's okay, it's just that your message seemed to imply that people who are logical can only ever be atheistic as well.

Don't worry about it, I've made similar mistakes myself, many times. I have yet to do so here at 'Aspies Central', but I'm guessing it's just a matter of time :(

'Easily explainable', are they? Okay then, let's hear your 'explanations'. Come on, don't be shy. You can start your own discussion about it, with the title being, "Good and Evil: A Naturalist's Account That Fully Refutes Supernatural Explanations" (or something like it).

Alas I am not a sociologist or a psychiatrist, or a.... whatever someone who studies why some people survive some things and others don't might be called (forensic scientist maybe? or a doctor?)

However I'll give it a go , since you asked nicely ;)

So, the nature of good and evil.... firstly I have to say that this question is shockingly vague and gives the impression that 'good' and 'evil' are some sort of amorphous 'force' that goes around infecting people. The concept of 'good' and 'evil' are societal constructs. So I'm going to change the question into 'what makes people do good or bad things' (good and bad as being defined by their culture) '. Well from what I understand it's a complex combination of 'nature' (how your brain works, neural pathways, damage or abnormalities), 'nurture' (how you were raised, and how those millions of minor and significant experiences interact with each other and your 'nature' so form your personality), and of course mental illnesses (such as depression).

As for why some people survive things that others don't, off the top of my head: genetics, experience, emotional and mental factors such as the ability to stay calm in a crisis and inteligence, imagination and resourcefullness, general health and fitness, chance.

NTSH, I agree that the terms good and evil are rather imprecise, but there are some things that all cultures generally agree on when it comes to what is right and wrong (ex. charity is right, murder & theft wrong), so it probably goes beyond mere societal constructs, as you put it here. My point is simply that a purely naturalistic explanation for why we regard certain things as being objectively right (or wrong) does not adequately account for it, in my view. I have yet to meet anyone who thinks the Holocaust wasn't objectively wrong and immoral, that our abhorrence of it is merely the end result of our culture, neural pathways, how our personalities developed, and so on (i.e. the things you list here).

Atheist here. I enjoy reading atheist books. One of my favourites is "The Magic of Reality" by Richard Dawkins.

I'm an atheist, but I do have an interest in everything ancient Rome, including Classical and native Italic religion. Sometimes I make reference to classical deities. I'm actually considering reconstructing a version of Roman religion to annoy my father with (he and my mom are Catholic)

Unfortunately I have aspergers and as far as I can think back, I've been an atheist. Well at least since I was able to question things...7, 8 years old maybe?

Part of the reason I don't believe is actually my diagnosis in and of itself. What kind of "god" goes about making specific peoples' lives that much more difficult because he can? It's like clipping off the wings of a bird so it can never fly with a pack. It's cruel. And if those who believe are correct..."god' is one sick mother****er for reasons I won't speak on because here I'm sure I've already said enough.

It took me to the age of now to see things in an opposite way to how I once did.
I think to be fair (for me personally) the fact that I felt so hard done by through life and the fact that try as I did to constantly correct myself which only lead to an even more baffling outcomes, was infact 'eventually' the stone that broke the camels back... and I can only be grateful for this finally. And hallelujah.

You see, where once in my lack of self understanding I felt like some kind of 'superiority' given that a life time of mishaps, mistakes and major misunderstandings hadn't killed me off, I was actually standing on the wrong side of the fence. What I didn't realise was actually 'my uncertainty', my 'second guessing' was actually the driving force which allowed me to continue 'existing'. This I found was actually my strength and not my weakness for which it had always been assumed by 'others'. The constant inner conflict, turmoil and pure pain I have always endured and never been able to escape was and is, as it turns out 'a serious disability'.

Where once, I accused people of not understanding me, of being awkward, of winding me up and playing me like some kind of game, kept me in my shell to the point by where I was isolated. Now I see that my only weakness was allowing others to dictate how I should be and how I should think.... the totality of aspergers itself.

Now, today, I sit here and write what makes sense to me in a way that I understand so much much than ever before. I realise by flipping myself 'downside up' that actually I have a massive heart, my only issue was my big mouth in trying to fit into a world that seemed to not let me in.

My world is my own, I have a voice, feelings are real to me, I've been too soft, too considerate to others that simply have no idea to who I am in a sense of who I long to be, likewise they have no idea of this inner knowledge I am now able to explain (to a degree).

I can't say I believe in god, but I can't say that I don't.

But what I do feel that where there is a will there is also a way. My only will is to not live how I have previously. I don't need conflict, uncertainty or people ramming their opinions 'of who I am' down my throat as its now very clear to me that they have not one single clue. Likewise I cannot allow this to affect me any more.

I can see that even in my 'don't knows', that is enough to help professionals to understand aspergers and in the way I am learning now, just as we all are here, this is a gift to be passed on, passed over to the ignorant... of which many claim to be 'professionals'.

This my friends, I see as a massive reason for us all to be here.

I'm agnostic, leaning towards full atheism. I don't affiliate with any established religion for multiple different reasons. I don't know though if there's some mysterious force out there. Like what happened before the big bang and all. In general however I'm pretty atheistic... except when I'm flying. Then I'm saying every prayer I know. ;)

I'm usually hesitant to participate in this type of discussion since I got eaten alive on another Aspie site when I tried. Most that know me here know that I am a Christian and that I do not hide that fact. I'd venture to say that in the realm of Aspies, I am probably in the minority. Trusting in Christ requires faith and most Aspies I know lean more toward logic; the idea of trusting in a personal Deity and believing what is written in a Holy Book is not logical. For me, personally, I could not have it any other way.

I am sorry that you experienced that, I personally view Christianity not as just a religion but also a part of someones culture and should not be mocked. I don't believe in anything personally but this is also part of my cultural upbringing.

I'm unaware of any census performed on this particular topic, but this is one of those things I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there may not be much difference between those on the spectrum and those in the wider world. You can approach a problem in a completely different way than somebody else and still arrive at the same conclusion. I've been exposed to a lot of philosophy and theology growing up (I was raised Catholic and went to a Christian high school); and from what I've learned from those disciplines, I would think, if anything, Aspies would be more diverse in their thinking/beliefs than your average NT population.

Alas I am not a sociologist or a psychiatrist, or a.... whatever someone who studies why some people survive some things and others don't might be called (forensic scientist maybe? or a doctor?)

However I'll give it a go , since you asked nicely ;)

So, the nature of good and evil.... firstly I have to say that this question is shockingly vague and gives the impression that 'good' and 'evil' are some sort of amorphous 'force' that goes around infecting people. The concept of 'good' and 'evil' are societal constructs. So I'm going to change the question into 'what makes people do good or bad things' (good and bad as being defined by their culture) '. Well from what I understand it's a complex combination of 'nature' (how your brain works, neural pathways, damage or abnormalities), 'nurture' (how you were raised, and how those millions of minor and significant experiences interact with each other and your 'nature' so form your personality), and of course mental illnesses (such as depression).

As for why some people survive things that others don't, off the top of my head: genetics, experience, emotional and mental factors such as the ability to stay calm in a crisis and inteligence, imagination and resourcefullness, general health and fitness, chance.

The definition of good varies tremendously. Evil is simpler though. Its just live spelled backwards.

Who what now?
A "Thearchist" is someone who acknowledges the Thearchy (not to be confused with a theocracy, the rule of priests). More details at Daniel 2, particularly vv. 44, 45.

It is a little more committed than simply believing in the existence of God. James wrote,

"You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe [that]—and tremble!" James 2:19 NKJV

It is recognizing His claim to rule (and His terms of amnesty).

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom