• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are animals and children attracted to you?

Wife often asks "why do dogs flock to you?", cats do as well. Haven't noticed so much with children though, with the exception of "my" daughter. My son takes more to his mom, probably because I'm less tolerant of some of his behaviors.

I just recently figured out I was an aspie so I am looking back at my life and realizing how many things are a part of this aspergers thing. I know it may be a strange question but it crossed my mind that animals and children have always been attracted to me for some reason that I could never figure out. Anybody else experience this?
animals and young children have always been attracted to me,i relate to animals especially and to some level;toddlers with their innocence and lack of understanding of the world but not older.
older children bully me because my disabilities are very obvious,infant age children are scared of me for the same reason.

I get along with children very well, likely because I never forgot what it was to be a child myself, and remember so many of the perspectives from that early age.

I'm good with animals, even wild ones. Talk to birds, deer, raccoons, skunks, rabbits, domestic animals like cows, sheep, dogs, cats, horses. They usually come closer to look at me and don't perceive me as a threat.

I'm glad someone brought this old thread of mine back to the surface. Lots of animal lovers here. There's nothing like the love of a pet. They just warm my heart! And the great thing is they don't judge or bully or care if you are not a perfect human.

I find that animals especially dogs seem to like me and I sometimes have had kids come up to me and start talking to me,last week while walking back from the shops there was a British bulldog puppy in this ladies front yard and when he saw me he just came running over to me and started licking me,I also use to know a jack Russell named jack who was owned by my husbands friend who he use to live with and when my husband decided to move next door near his friends place at the time jack knew I would be there sometimes and he would come over and stay with me and not go home,there was even a time when I was waiting for a bus just across the road from my husbands old place that jack was trying to even get on the bus with me and I had to tell him to go home but when I came back he be waiting at our door instead of going home.but I have always found I get along with animals more than people and consider my dog sprocket as my best friend.

I love kids, especially young babies, I'm always fussing them in shops and stuff. As regards animals though, although I'm not really a dog lover I've kind of lived with dogs at least half my life so far, because up to about 18 years ago Dad had 2 at Home but they both died of Cancer, which is common apparently in the particular breed we had, Flat coated Retrievers.

It's a little strange to realize that most of my trust and/or compassion is expressed through connecting with children and animals.

Just not many adult humans whom I've learned often quite bitterly to approach with extreme caution. It sometimes does make me wonder if I would have made a good parent. But I'll never know....having gotten far too old.

You know, it must be a thing... children and animals love me. Babies and young children just stare and stare. I think I am a good person, but from the number of replies, it must be an Aspie thing...

We were walking on a nature trail last week, and I noticed a cute little girl with her family. As we approached where they were standing, she shyly held up a toy camera, and her mother told me she wanted to "take my picture." So I grinned and struck a silly pose and they all laughed. I felt good about that but wouldn't have wanted to stay and chat because there were too many people.

New Threads

Top Bottom