• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Apple Vision Pro

Swords

I am a Software Engineer, and I have worked in a lot of open offices, and have recently been down the rabbit hole of workplace accommodations.

For me, discussions have centred around having noise cancelling headphones, to have a quiet area of the office, to have walls on the desk to block visibility of passing people etc. In addition to this, I don't know if anyone else has this experience, but when I am working, I have a bunch of tools, that are somewhat personal. So, let's say, I have reminders popping up to remind me to drink water, and having someone see this has always been very confusing for them, and stressful for me.

I have been watching reviews of the Apple Vision Pro the past few weeks, and I have to say, it really hit me, that this would be really useful for me. I would have full control over what information was entering my eyes, and paired with noise cancelling headphones, I would be in my own little bubble. This would be a lot more controllable.

The following is an example of the immersive environments you can have on, while working.

50% of how attractive this is to me, is the idea of me being able to have whatever support tools I need on screen in front of me, without getting embarrassed, or stressed.

Apple Vision Pro is a quantum leap in AR. Meta's Oculus simply had far too much latency (100+ ms) and bad passthrough quality.

I'd recommend scheduling an appointment at Apple and giving it a try before purchasing it or requesting a purchase.

The big ding (for me, anyway) is that it relies a lot on eye tracking. I can't focus long enough to use controls comfortably.

That thing is wild. Test it first, it seems too clunky and headphones on top of that seems cumbersome.

My fear about that stuff (other than the equally wild price) is that I would get nothing done with the distractions. But maybe it's the opposite.

Please submit a report if you get it! I have some work funds to spend :)

The question to me is whether or not the thing has longevity with people that buy it.

VR and similar tech is notorious for being something where someone will spend a gazillion dollars to buy it, have a sort of super excited "honeymoon" period where it gets used a lot... usually a couple of weeks/months... and then after that, onto a shelf and rarely ever touched, despite that initial excitement and hype.

And of course this one is probably coming with the various problems Apple is notorious for, so there's that, too.

Also note that too much use of this or any similar device is a spectacular way to get neck and/or back problems (and I cant overstate just how bad that can be... take it from someone who deals with that sort of pain every day). That's the one thing they never want to talk about when advertising any of this sort of stuff. This particular gizmo seems to be more for long-form use (whereas traditional VR is short-form use) so it's likely to be on your head longer.

Not to mention the price. This is one of those things where I struggle to see what the point is in buying it VS like, any other bloody gizmo, when considering the cost. To be fair though I also really dont like Apple products.

I am a Software Engineer, and I have worked in a lot of open offices, and have recently been down the rabbit hole of workplace accommodations.

For me, discussions have centred around having noise cancelling headphones, to have a quiet area of the office, to have walls on the desk to block visibility of passing people etc. In addition to this, I don't know if anyone else has this experience, but when I am working, I have a bunch of tools, that are somewhat personal. So, let's say, I have reminders popping up to remind me to drink water, and having someone see this has always been very confusing for them, and stressful for me.

I have been watching reviews of the Apple Vision Pro the past few weeks, and I have to say, it really hit me, that this would be really useful for me. I would have full control over what information was entering my eyes, and paired with noise cancelling headphones, I would be in my own little bubble. This would be a lot more controllable.

The following is an example of the immersive environments you can have on, while working.

50% of how attractive this is to me, is the idea of me being able to have whatever support tools I need on screen in front of me, without getting embarrassed, or stressed.

If it would help you, it is worth it. I think people do not understand being autistic and needing help with your environment. I have two sets of Apple AirPod Pros so I can always have some in while the other is charging. Having so much help with the noise and sounds around me has changed my life.
I hope the Apple Vision could help you. The dial that lets you control how much you see in the pass through or have your virtual environment take over, I think that would be amazing.

I would like one but I do not need one so I cannot spend that money. I hope you will get one and try it. CNET reported that Apple gives you 14 days to return it. It could be amazing for you.

If it would help you, it is worth it. I think people do not understand being autistic and needing help with your environment. I have two sets of Apple AirPod Pros so I can always have some in while the other is charging. Having so much help with the noise and sounds around me has changed my life.
I hope the Apple Vision could help you. The dial that lets you control how much you see in the pass through or have your virtual environment take over, I think that would be amazing.

I would like one but I do not need one so I cannot spend that money. I hope you will get one and try it. CNET reported that Apple gives you 14 days to return it. It could be amazing for you.
I wouldn't say no to trying it, it is just that it would be a lot more than I am willing to spend personally. If they produce a non-Pro model, it would be cheaper, and perhaps where I would start.

Alternatively, some employers offer a generous equipment budget, some of my colleagues get 45000NOK(~4200USD) a year in personal equipment / conference spending, so if I were so lucky to land a similar position, then it might be something that could be justified to an employer at some stage.

@Swords
Seems like there are so pros and cons for you to consider. If you go for it, I really hope you enjoy your experience with this sort of thing.

As far as work goes, I had a question...

So, let's say, I have reminders popping up to remind me to drink water, and having someone see this has always been very confusing for them, and stressful for me.
Have you considered the attention that you will get for using the "apple vision pro" at work? Since you mentioned that having others see your reminders as stressful, I would wonder what it would be like to be the only one at work that uses these goggle things. They are pretty noticeable.

I'm not saying this to discourage you. Finding helpful tools is a very important thing and if they suited your needs, that would be great.

I'm for sure curious about its use to handle distractions. I could be nice to set up a calm surrounding scene without distractions while working. At the same time, there is an infinite amount of distractions available at a pinch of fingers that would require a lot of self-control to manage. [insert man pondering emoji]

Providing some contrarian thoughts to give a more complete picture:

Vision UX:
I'm just a sample size of one, and have no idea if this is an autism or ADHD or just me thing, but be aware of its UX. It is called "Vision" presumably because the UX is heavily reliant on eye tracking. You are replacing the touchscreen and your finger with your eyes. You have to "train" your eyes focus on various controls, and focus on them long enough to manipulate them. It was a dealbreaker for me personally, but might not be for you.

VR blocks out the good stuff too:
If you immerse yourself fully in a virtual world to block out other people, then you can't see your own real life keyboard either. Maybe that wouldn't matter too much, but it's another consideration.

VIO crashes:
It's rare and I've never heard of it happening on Apple Vision Pro, but all AR/VR has something called VIO which is the system which "moves" the headset along with your head.

Oculus VIO crashed in certain conditions and I assume AVP can crash too. Once, I experienced a complete crash as the VIO flew out to the sky. I fell flat to the floor and had the sensation that I was going to hit my head on the stone tile.

It is a bit hard to describe why it is disorienting. One way to think of this if you have been disoriented in rooms with moving elements even though the floor is still (like spinning tunnels), you might be susceptible to this. I have no vestibular function, so this was highly distressing.

PXL_20220814_002453001.jpg

The best I can describe it is having a hypnic jerk while awake/standing and can be dangerous if you're in the wrong place. However, Apple products are much less buggy than Oculus or Android products so this may never happen on the AVP.

New Threads

Top Bottom