• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

DragonKid♾

There’s only a few weeks until the AP tests. I don’t know what I’m going to do. I’m already authorized for extra time, but I’m scared it won’t be enough. The multiple choice will be fine. I’m good at that. I know the content. But the essays are the problem. I don’t know how to zone in on them and focus. I keep being distracted by everything. It feels like my brain can’t quickly gather my thoughts on whatever I’m supposed to be writing about. I’m scared that I’m going to fail the test and the entire class will have been for nothing. I don’t know what to do. Is this common among autistic people? Does anyone have any advice? Because what I’m currently trying isn’t working.

Always happened to me too. I absolutely hated essay questions mainly because they’re so unbelievably subjective. Once I actually got accused of plagiarism on an essay about suicide (which I had become an expert on, being suicidal for years).

Try this: Build yourself an outline. You don’t need to know the topic. It’s just a “one size fits all” outline that could easily be adapted to any topic. Example- First paragraph is nothing but an opening. 3-4 sentences which provide an overview of what you will be writing about. 2nd 3rd and 4th paragraphs: each one focuses on a single aspect of the subject. Last paragraph will bring all of the ideas together and summarize your essay (maybe only 2 or 3 sentences).

Then memorize it. Write it down on scratch paper during the test. Follow it closely. Maybe it can help you stay focused.

One of the things that is in your control now is your own anxiety about this. Anything you can do to address and manage the anxiety that you are feeling will put you in a better place on the day that you take the test. Unmanaged anxiety will not help in thinking clearly or focusing.

A few ideas on how to manage that anxiety: Make sure that you are telling yourself positive stories. You accept that this will be a challenging day, but you have skills and surely you have practiced many things that you will need on the day of the test.

You can practice more. Like AspieChris said, making outlines and finding points of focus can be helpful. Remember to do simple things like breathing, drinking water, and exercising when you can so that your brain is functioning at its top capacity.

Another useful thing will be sleep. As much as you can, stick to your regular sleep schedule hopefully getting approximately eight hours per night. This will allow your brain to be alert and focused.

You got this! You have some extra time to do things in your own way, And you do not have to turn in a perfect and flawless sa. Just keep breathing, try to maintain your focus on important details, and do your best. We are here to support you!

Think first confront the fear of failing. I can fail, and l may need to retake class? Take a deep breath, and face that fear, and the negative comments from whoever. After you get past this worry because you devoted time to it, then decide what will increase your chances of passing your tests? Restudy and think about questions that maybe asked, and formulate an answer in your head, and write it down. Important dates, concepts, formulas, just concentrate on the important ideas and understand them, so that you feel confident enough to write about it. Sleep well, get some exercise, and if possible eat lightly, dress comfortably, and perhaps a little tea with caffeine to keep you alert, or a energy drink to give you the stamina to sit that long and stay focused.

Something that I've found works for me is to know when you're done your prep - which would usually be the night before, or even earlier. I've found that being well rested, and having a bit of fun before an exam (or any other stressful activity) often results in me doing better compared to attempting to cram / prep to the last minute.

There’s only a few weeks until the AP tests. I don’t know what I’m going to do. I’m already authorized for extra time, but I’m scared it won’t be enough. The multiple choice will be fine. I’m good at that. I know the content. But the essays are the problem. I don’t know how to zone in on them and focus. I keep being distracted by everything. It feels like my brain can’t quickly gather my thoughts on whatever I’m supposed to be writing about. I’m scared that I’m going to fail the test and the entire class will have been for nothing. I don’t know what to do. Is this common among autistic people? Does anyone have any advice? Because what I’m currently trying isn’t working.
1. It is common with autistic people. The underlying "pathology", if you will, is a hyper-excitability state within the brain. More specifically, it is a neurotransmitter imbalance common to autism, too little GABA (inhibitory) and too much glutamate (excitatory).
2. Do some research on L-theanine. It is a naturally-occurring compound that acts like a glutamate-blocker in the brain. It reduces anxiety and helps with mental focus. It has been studied extensively in autism and many other neurological conditions. You can get it over-the-counter at some health food stores, or you can order it on-line. I take about 400mg/day on the days that I work. It keeps me focused, less situational anxiety, and on-task. Of course, I don't want this to come off as "medical advice". You and your parents do your own research and make your own decisions. What You Should Know About the Benefits and Risks of L-Theanine

Can you look at an old test/practice test? I find it helps me to do a practice test a day or two before the real test, and treat it exactly like it was a real test. No phone, completely clean table, timer set for however long you get for the test. This means that there isn't much pressure when you take the practice test, but at least you'll have gotten over the "mental barrier" of having done a test once you start. I also recommend just starting writing. I'm sure you actually know all this stuff but your anxiety is holding you back. The sooner you start, the more time you will have to write. You can fix things afterwards if you notice.

Lastly, I totally empathize. I have the same issue with essay/written tests. In fact, I literally ran out of time on an essay test today (I don't get any accommodation as I'm undiagnosed, which can be pretty frustrating). I totally understand that it's difficult. When I was in high school, I once spent the entire test period on the first question (my answer was four pages long). I honestly don't have a good answer since it's something we are wired for, but I at least try to be conscious of how long my answers are, and try to stop myself or keep my sentences curt.

I always struggled with writing essays due to poor working memory (Not uncommon among those with autism). For me, learning strategies like AspieChris suggested helped the most. I had to learn how to develop paragraphs by starting each with a main idea and adding three supporting details followed by a final concluding sentence & transition (Depending on location). Then, I could finally take all that I memorized and convey it via organized writing. Over time, I got better as I used the formula to guide me. Even in graduate school, writing was VERY hard for me and still is an arduous process. But I actually have people tell me I am a good writer now and are surprised when I tell them my difficulty. Hope this helps provide some hope and alleviates some anxiety. Best wishes!

My test is tomorrow. I have my notes and I think I at least know what I need to do. I’m trying not to panic. I at least know the stuff, I just have to do this. I’m going to try to get a good dinner and sleep tonight. Wish me luck and thanks for the advice.

My test is tomorrow. I have my notes and I think I at least know what I need to do. I’m trying not to panic. I at least know the stuff, I just have to do this. I’m going to try to get a good dinner and sleep tonight. Wish me luck and thanks for the advice.
Good luck! You’re better at this than you think.

Sounds like you are doing everything you can to set yourself up for success tomorrow. Have confidence, think of us cheering you on and get through it the best you can! Looking forward to hearing about your experience when it’s all done with. Good luck!

1683721366848.jpeg

Awesome! Much to be proud of, @DragonKid♾!

The AP tests, if things haven't changed, can help you save time and possibly money for taking additional classes. If you don't do well, and if you have more high school years, you can take it again the following year.
If within yours or your family's budget, maybe getting a last minute tutor for support and studying techniques and anything can be helpful too.

If you do bad on an AP test, unless there's pressure from your school or family, it won't make you look bad for your academic standing. A good AP score could help you be considered for more scholarships and saving tuition and/or time, but a bad or average AP score will not prevent you from furthering your studies at any college.

New Threads

Top Bottom