• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone very interested in singing?

L_Holmes

Ever since I was 12 I was pretty into singing, and especially since I was 15 it became my main interest for the most part. It's probably the longest lasting interest I've had. I used to be very into origami, but now I only do it occasionally. During childhood my main interest was Nintendo games, which I am still interested in, just not as much as before, but I think it is more due to me having less free time to play them, which is pretty annoying to me.

Anyway, singing anyone? So far I have not found any other Aspies who are as into singing as I am.

Not singing itself, but music yes. I love the order and repetition of a good song. I have taken up the guitar thanks to Rocksmith being an excellent teacher. It is not a hobby, an obsession, and perhaps some day a source of amusement rather than masochistic torture for my fingers......

edit: To me this did not seem entirely off topic since I consider the voice an instrument for music, and I was relating to it as someone who is working at playing another instrument. And I do not consider singing to be any easier to master than any other instrument since to do it well requires true dedication and not a little bit of talent for it.

Anyway, singing anyone? So far I have not found any other Aspies who are as into singing as I am.

Well, you have now. :)

I was singing before I could speak, I think. It's a very integral part of who I am. I take rest periods where I can't produce or compose as a result of my life going awry for one reason or another and my troubles and the emotional reactions to them take away my enthusiasm for this form of expression, but I always come back to it. It's not an obsession or anything, it's just quite literally an essential facet of my personality/psyche. I do consider myself a musician, though, mostly based on that I've had a few releases in the increasingly distant past. But really, I sing, therefore I am.

Sing like in a auditorium??? NO

But I like sing for me, alone, just me and myself. Its really fun! Almost the same music, trying to get the right tone. I like that!

Interested in singing? Hell yes!
As a means of trying to understand non verbal communication (part of it anyway) I started collecting performance videos of singers.
Naturally, I started (tried) to sing aswell, the unhappy truth is I just don't have a great singing voice.
I would really like it if I did have a great singing voice!

I started playing guitar (again...had tried before and not succeeded) last spring, and singing kinda goes along with that. Before that, my instrument was trumpet, and you can't really sing with that. But I've found that I prefer to sing alto with a folksy voice rather than soprano with a concert voice (which is what I had always tried to use in church, lol). Having fun with singing now, but I'm not particularly gifted in it...my voice is way too plain to go very far with it.

I love to sing, I was in the choir at school and one of the two times I'm happy being the focus of attention is when I'm singing. Used to do a lot of karaoke contests (and win) but work takes up too much time now.

Ever since I was 12 I was pretty into singing, and especially since I was 15 it became my main interest for the most part. It's probably the longest lasting interest I've had. I used to be very into origami, but now I only do it occasionally. During childhood my main interest was Nintendo games, which I am still interested in, just not as much as before, but I think it is more due to me having less free time to play them, which is pretty annoying to me.

My son and daughter both love singing. My son so much so he will sing in front of anyone. He informed me the other day he got paid for doing the thing he loves best, when I asked what that was, he replied singing of course. How did he get paid. HE ONLY PUT A MCD's CUP DOWN AND SANG IN FRONT OF THE BUS STATION......arrggghhhh. His aspie dad thought this was great. I think he should stick to singing at break times at school lol
His twin sister sings ALL THE TIME, we are very lucky as she has an amazing voice. Nice to know they have something they are good at and get great pleasure from :) they are 14.

Not my special interest, but I love singing. Don't perform or anything, but I will walk around outside singing quietly. I'm learning guitar to accompany myself.

I love singing! I love driving in my car on the freeway and trying to hit high notes. I love karaoke. I love singing and accompanying myself with guitar or piano. It can be a stim for me, too.

I was in a band once where I drummed and did vocals. Bass guitar is the toughest instrument to sing along to, I swear. (Music is one of my special interests.)

Took me a long time to develop "my own" voice because I loved trying to imitate recordings of vocalists. Then I read this great article on over-singing and I realized that that's what I'd been doing for years.

I'm looking to get out there soon and start doing open mic nights as a singer-songwriter. Karaoke meetup groups, too!

I wasn't expecting this many responses :) I have always liked singing from what I remember, but it was only between 12 and 15 when it started becoming more of an obsession. I would probably be singing 100% of the time if it were possible now.

I am more shy about my singing now, which is ironic because I am most likely better than I was when I was little, but at the time I didn't really care about singing around others. My dad says that one time I was with him at work, and interrupted him and his coworker so I could show them that I could sing "All-Star" by Smash Mouth while balancing/hopping on one foot :D

I sang in church as a lad. Last time I sang publicly was at a tribute service, in 2000. I sang the British anthem "Jerusalem", solo.

I do still like to sing and think I have a pretty good voice, but I'm shy about singing in front of others, these days. My partner is a professional musician and singer, so we do play around a bit together. I sing in the shower, or in the car by myself. I'd do it more with the right encouragement. Singing popular and classic songs from different genres helps me understand the psycho-social experiences the artists/writers have written about, much better than hearing such things described in regular speech. When I was a lad, the rock opera "Tommy" was a revelation...something I could really relate to. I identified strongly with the Tommy character, and singing his parts [and some other bits] helped me express things aloud that I normally kept hidden.

Music in general is a significant part of my life, though I often need quiet at home. It helps me feel my own emotions purely. It's fair to say I'd be much more disconnected from the world and myself without music, in some respects.

... Singing popular and classic songs from different genres helps me understand the psycho-social experiences the artists/writers have written about, much better than hearing such things described in regular speech. When I was a lad, the rock opera "Tommy" was a revelation...something I could really relate to. I identified strongly with the Tommy character, and singing his parts [and some other bits] helped me express things aloud that I normally kept hidden ...

I know what you mean about this. The lyrics and the music somehow convey a stronger message than regular speech at a deeper, inexplicable level. My revelation was 'The Wall.' I identified with character of "Pink," and I still use the soundtrack from that movie to deal with my emotions sometimes.

I know what you mean about this. The lyrics and the music somehow convey a stronger message than regular speech at a deeper, inexplicable level. My revelation was 'The Wall.' I identified with character of "Pink," and I still use the soundtrack from that movie to deal with my emotions sometimes.

Aside from The Who, Pink Floyd is a particular favourite of mine. Love "The Wall", and yes, I've used it as a vehicle, too. If I'm feeling theatrical, I'll sing "The Trial" quite loudly and flamboyantly. Go ahead, admit it...you sing Pink Floyd songs with full accent. ;)

I really enjoy singing and it annoys me when I'm off-key or off-beat. But as far as performances, no. Not unless it was a play and I was hiding behind one of the props!

I sing in a small local choir. We're never going to be invited to sing at the Royal Albert Hall, but we have fun.

We only rehearse during the school term. Before the long summer break I almost had a panic attack at the thought of 6 weeks without choir. Strangely, I only joined earlier this year, and I'm addicted already.

I suspect you're looking for Aspie replies, but as an NT musician and singer, I can't not answer this.

I love to sing, for many of the same reasons I see along this thread. My voice may not be top-shelf, but it's enough that it's helped me earn my living. Since I've been just a player in someone else's band for most of my life, I stopped bothering much about singing on my own, and became content just to sing backup. My voice became just an echo or harmony, instead of a solo instrument. There's a thinking that develops from that, I reckon, that can extend outside of the music. You can become a back-seat person, period. Over the last couple of years, though, I've found my own unique voice and sound again, and it's been amazing rediscovering it! It's done a lot for my daily life, too. Singing in your own voice, just for yourself, is a powerful thing. It's one of the best therapies in the world, I think. :)

I absolutely love music, I have since before I could speak. I tried to teach myself but lacked the follow through, throughout my seven years of college I was always taking music classes and learning a new instrument whether it was my major or not. I have enjoyed composing and singing my main instruments are drums, voice, and clarinet, but play many others. I knew singing and music was special to me ever since I was young and had a vast collection of music and I knew I could hear it differently as each time a song came on and it was live or rerecorder I knew right away and would annoy my parent to changing it. I just couldn't take it if the key changed in the wrong spot or the artist unintentionally hit a sour note. Sometimes I combine my poetry and music for easy song writing sessions. I had a bumper sticker on my first car that stated " without music, life would be a mistake". Music is my life outside of science.

New Threads

Top Bottom