• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else recognise this in themselves?

MildredHubble

V.I.P Member
The phenomenon of "T-Rex Arms", I hope this isn't considered offensive to anyone. It's not my intention to cause offence.

I've happened upon people talking about this elsewhere on the internet. It pops up on some videos in passing on YouTube channels that discuss Autism.

Basically if you don't know, it's the habit of holding your arms either side of your torso in such a way that they are bent upwards at the elbow with your hands kinda hanging downwards near your chest. Kinda like a T-Rex.

I've done this throughout my life. I still do it, but when I catch myself doing it I feel ashamed. I find I do this most often when I'm focused doing something like cleaning up, I will catch my reflection in usually the kitchen window usually in this pose.

I used to get picked on at school etc for having my hands in this pose. I'd do it a lot, then I'd get homophobic comments about it in my teens and 20s. It was very difficult to mask this habit. I'd get teased and asked if I had "lost my hand bag", because for some reason it's considered effeminate to have your arms in this position.

Does anyone else do this? Or have in the past? Does it bother you or do you not really care what others think? I'm just wondering if this is particularly common.

Do you mean this sort of pose?

Screenshot 2023-12-15 001216.jpg

And yes, I do this as well. Though I usually dont let anyone see me do it. And it's very rare that I'll mention or talk about it, even on this forum.

I dont know about you but I have a tendency towards awkward poses and movements in general. Lots of stuff like this, or general flailing and spinning. I dont sit still well.

And ya know what, I'm bloody tired of trying to hide this. People seem so totally bent on trying to get everyone else to fit in the same dumb little box they do. Act normal, move normal, blah blah blah. When to me, this is what is natural. Trying to act like everyone else, is so... restrictive.

So... yeah, you arent alone in this one.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-15 001216.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-15 001216.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 25
While it's not one of my normal body poses, I have caught myself on occasion doing it. Though I question if I am doing far more than I realize. Probably...

Either way. Let's all be happy dinosaurs~

Do you mean this sort of pose?

View attachment 122416

And yes, I do this as well. Though I usually dont let anyone see me do it. And it's very rare that I'll mention or talk about it, even on this forum.

I dont know about you but I have a tendency towards awkward poses and movements in general. Lots of stuff like this, or general flailing and spinning. I dont sit still well.

And ya know what, I'm bloody tired of trying to hide this. People seem so totally bent on trying to get everyone else to fit in the same dumb little box they do. Act normal, move normal, blah blah blah. When to me, this is what is natural. Trying to act like everyone else, is so... restrictive.

So... yeah, you arent alone in this one.
Yeah that's basically it! Although in my case my hands tend to be a bit higher, but your picture pretty much nails it :)

I do also feel a bit sick of correcting myself when I realise I'm doing the T-Rex thing. I notice since I wrote this post and walking around the house that I probably do it more than I realised.

Human beings are quite strange that they feel the need to police the position people naturally hold their arms.

But it's kinda nice to know I'm not on my own on this. I agree with you @Xinyta , let's be happy dinosaurs! :)

Not myself, but I have observed as well that it is one of gait / posture forms that is more common among neurodiverse persons.

Not completely.
However, at work I walk around with a keycord around my neck with some sort of a click system where my badge is. When stressed I tend to click the badge, take it off the cord and put it back on very rapidly to relax. While doing this my arms are in that position. So yes, I do hold my arms that way, but I think that is moreso because it is because of where the cord and badge are connected.
When I do not have my keycord on I also hold my arms like that to fiddle with my fingers to relax.
But again. That might be because I generally do it with the keycord and I fiddle with my fingers in that position because that is when the connection in my cord normally is.

Not completely.
However, at work I walk around with a keycord around my neck with some sort of a click system where my badge is. When stressed I tend to click the badge, take it off the cord and put it back on very rapidly to relax. While doing this my arms are in that position. So yes, I do hold my arms that way, but I think that is moreso because it is because of where the cord and badge are connected.
When I do not have my keycord on I also hold my arms like that to fiddle with my fingers to relax.
But again. That might be because I generally do it with the keycord and I fiddle with my fingers in that position because that is when the connection in my cord normally is.
I liked my university lanyard because it had a clip I could click in and out over and over :) It was like a miniature version on thr sort of clips you get on back pack straps. Not sure what they're called. I like clicky things! :)

I liked my university lanyard because it had a clip I could click in and out over and over :) It was like a miniature version on thr sort of clips you get on back pack straps. Not sure what they're called. I like clicky things! :)
I do too.
Mine is like this:
new-lanyard-zoom-bright-orange_1.jpg

I used to also slide my badge in and out of the plastic casing. But that cause it to become wider and let the badge slip out on its own. Then I started clicking. Couldn`t undestand for the life of me why I did the sliding thing up until then. Clicking is much much nicer.

I do too.
Mine is like this:
View attachment 122425
I used to also slide my badge in and out of the plastic casing. But that cause it to become wider and let the badge slip out on its own. Then I started clicking. Couldn`t undestand for the life of me why I did the sliding thing up until then. Clicking is much much nicer.

Neat - I don't have one of those (side release buckle above clip) in my collection.

The type I encounter the most of are safety release with a lobster claw, e.g.

Lanyard.jpg

The sunflower lanyards are also of this type.

In North America, I find that safety lanyards with a badge clip / bulldog clip or a retractable reel are quite common as well for work and conventions, though at general events (e.g. comic con) they'll often give out cheap generic non-safety lanyards in which case I'll opt to use one of my own.

There's also clips (sometimes on a lanyard) for those who'd rather not wear a lanyard but need to have a card ready for ID purposes / accessing doors. In North America these are more commonly encountered as we tend not to wear lanyards as much compared to Europe.
We also tend to more commonly have either long oval holes punched in cards to accommodate them being put on a clip, or to have a card placed in a clear soft plastic ziplock pouch type holder, rather than the hard plastic holders which seem predominant in Europe.

61qq+gSc9ZL._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpg

Neat - I don't have one of those (side release buckle above clip) in my collection.

The type I encounter the most of are safety release with a lobster claw, e.g.

View attachment 122422

The sunflower lanyards are also of this type.

In North America, I find that safety lanyards with a badge clip / bulldog clip or a retractable reel are quite common as well for work and conventions, though at general events (e.g. comic con) they'll often give out cheap generic non-safety lanyards in which case I'll opt to use one of my own.

There's also clips (sometimes on a lanyard) for those who'd rather not wear a lanyard but need to have a card ready for ID purposes / accessing doors. In North America these are more commonly encountered as we tend not to wear lanyards as much compared to Europe.
We also tend to more commonly have either long oval holes punched in cards to accommodate them being put on a clip, or to have a card placed in a clear soft plastic ziplock pouch type holder, rather than the hard plastic holders which seem predominant in Europe.

61qq+gSc9ZL._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpg
Oooo University of Oxford! Fancy! :) My lanyard didn't come from such prestigious university, but it's quite similar. And now I know those clips are called "buckle release" clips :) I do know where my university lanyard is, it's in a drawer right beside me, I would put it on so I can enjoy the clicky goodness, but I think my family might think I've gone quite mad wearing something that hasn't been relevant for 10 years now lol! I don't have anything I could attach to it to justify it either unfortunately. Not that I can think of anyway :)

I was called out for this posture at my first job over 18 years ago and haven’t done it since.. was so embarrassed lol.

Does anyone else do this? Or have in the past? Does it bother you or do you not really care what others think? I'm just wondering if this is particularly common.
Yep, all the time - when in my home, I can't/won't mask at home - in public it's probably less, as I'm masking to some degree - I was very aware of my T-Rex hands while in my 20'ies and learned to not do them, I wasn't diagnosed at that time and was more insecure, so tried more to fit in at that time, than I do now...

I was called out for this posture at my first job over 18 years ago and haven’t done it since.. was so embarrassed lol.
I had the same happen at work, my first job actually. It was really upsetting. There was this guy that seemed to have a major psychosis when it came to me. He made some vicious comments, as did some customers. I was working in a bar and it was hell on earth, I managed about two months before I quit. Too noisy, too stressful. It was an ND nightmare. But that guy really freaked me out, my mere existence seemed to provoke some kind of rage in him. :oops:

When I observed myself in that pose as a kid, I thought of it as "hamster hands" since I often saw my hamster doing it. I realized the kids at school would think it was stupid and I didn't want to give them any more ammunition, so I stopped. (I think.)

When I observed myself in that pose as a kid, I thought of it as "hamster hands" since I often saw my hamster doing it. I realized the kids at school would think it was stupid and I didn't want to give them any more ammunition, so I stopped. (I think.)
I thought of it as hamster hands too, but I kept hearing people saying "T-Rex" so I thought maybe more people understood that as a reference. I guess either works :)

I find it so confusing as to why people first of all pick up on it and second of all pick on somebody for having their arms in this pose. It's not like my arms were always like that.

I do remember another kid at school pulling their t-shirt sleeves over their arms with only their hands sticking out. I thought this was quite funny until I realised that they were actually mocking me.

I did this a lot when I was a child, without noticing, though always only with one arm. At some point I realized it and kind of forced myself to not do it anymore, meaning each time I noticed it, I actively let my arm hang down again. This took quite a lot of willpower, though, and it didn't feel natural. I guess, I was a bit ashamed for it. No one ever said something about it. I think, I mostly did it when I was by myself, immersed in my thoughts.
I still catch myself doing it sometimes, but more rarely. It's still when I am by myself, elsewhere in my mind. I wouldn't deny it happening when I'm with other people, but I've never consciously noticed it then, so I can't say. Since I only notice it when I am alone, I don't feel ashamed for it anymore, also since I got my diagnosis. I just see it as "one of these things".

Edit: I just realized that outside and in company in general, I do this thing a lot where I keep my arm bent at the elbow and kind of wrap my arm around myself at the stomach. Or, when I'm wearing a keychain or something, I fumble with it. It's like my arm feels more comfortable bent at the elbow, for whatever reason. That might be an "edited" version of it.

Last edited:
I knew them as "Rabbit Arms" back in the 1960s. It was even worse when the person displaying this behavior also had "Buck" teeth and a timid personality.

Personally, I don't do this, but I have seen an autistic student of mine do this with his arms, with an awkward stance, fidgeting around, as well. As if to project just how uncomfortable he is in this situation, and unable to just relax and find a natural pose. There's an autistic speaker on a TEDx talk I found on YouTube, and she does this, as well.

Not everyone has these obvious gross neuro-motor patterns, but more are likely to experience varying degrees of fine-motor coordination/dexterity issues (wrists, hands, fingers,...ankles, feet, toes).

Not really. When I was teenager I used to hold a bag outwards and I don't know why. My cousin pointed it out to me saying to just relax my arm and let the bag hang by my side. No criticism or humiliation involved, just a quick 2-second lesson, which I learnt from, and found the 'normal' way was much more comfortable for my arm than holding it outwards lol.

Mind you, some 'normal' ways to do things can be uncomfortable, like when I'm carrying really heavy shopping bags I find it aches my arms less if I bend my elbows and hold the bags from my chest, but because it looks 'weird' I can't do it. Well I could, but I don't like people looking at me or judging me, so I can't. Just because I'm on this spectrum doesn't mean I can switch off my desire to be accepted.

I did this a lot when I was a child, without noticing, though always only with one arm. At some point I realized it and kind of forced myself to not do it anymore, meaning each time I noticed it, I actively let my arm hang down again. This took quite a lot of willpower, though, and it didn't feel natural. I guess, I was a bit ashamed for it. No one ever said something about it. I think, I mostly did it when I was by myself, immersed in my thoughts.
I still catch myself doing it sometimes, but more rarely. It's still when I am by myself, elsewhere in my mind. I wouldn't deny it happening when I'm with other people, but I've never consciously noticed it then, so I can't say. Since I only notice it when I am alone, I don't feel ashamed for it anymore, also since I got my diagnosis. I just see it as "one of these things".

Edit: I just realized that outside and in company in general, I do this thing a lot where I keep my arm bent at the elbow and kind of wrap my arm around myself at the stomach. Or, when I'm wearing a keychain or something, I fumble with it. It's like my arm feels more comfortable bent at the elbow, for whatever reason. That might be an "edited" version of it.
I've been paying more attention to it since I started this thread and I seem to naturally do it more often with my right arm, but it really depends on if I'm climbing the stairs for example and I need to grab the hand rail or I have a cup of tea in my hand, which seems to be in my left most often. Then ten minutes ago I was walking out of the back utility room to the hallway and I noticed it was both arms.

It's hard to know if I'm causing myself to adopt these poses more now or if I actually have been doing this far more than I realised lol! If it's the latter, I guess it's not really been noticed by anyone else. So maybe it attracts less attention than it used to.

New Threads

Top Bottom