• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else into tabletop rpgs?

8crismon

Concept machine
I like tabletop role playing games. Ever since I played dungeons and dragons 4th edition back when I was a sixth grader, I've wanted to play again. I have amassed quite a few pdfs of game books and supplements from titles like GURPS, FATE, and one based on Scooby-doo straight up called "Meddling kids". I also like making worlds to play campaigns in for these games. Like a world where the US and Soviet Union instead of having a cold war fought with spies and espionage, they have a superhero shadow war! I am wondering if there are folks here who also have this interest?

an older thread.....

I do. I played D&D first, then advanced D&D (the 2nd edition) and the beautifully ilustrated 3rd edition. I stopped playing at university.

I also played Chutlu, Star Wars, Stormbringer, The Lord of the Rings... And collected fantasy miniatures from Games Workshop. Painted them, did scenography... I recently started to paint my old miniatures after 25 years, so yeah, we do share that interest.

Welcome to the forum.

I played briefly when young but haven't stayed with it. Instead I have been a lifelong Toy soldier collecter. As Trivia I purchased a small pamphlet for wargaming with Medieval figures about 1971. In the back was an 'Fantasy Suplement' for wargaming with Lord of the Rings style rules. The author was Gary Gygax and I believe it was the first printed prototype of D&D.

chainmail.jpg

Yes, yes yes!!

Here is a list of RPG rullsets I own:

• AD&D (Arneson/Gygax/TSR)
• BESM (MacKinnon/GOA)
• Cepheus Engine (SPP)
• Firefly/Serenity (Whedon/Weis)
• Freefall (Stanley/Frisbee)
• Gamma World (TSR)
• GURPS (SJG)
• Men in Black (WEG)
• Metamorphosis Alpha (TSR)
• Pathfinder (Paizo)
• Paranoia (WEG)
• Shadowrunn (FASA)
• Star Trek (FASA)
• Star Wars (WEG)
• Starfinder (Paizo)
• Stargate (Alderac)
• Traveller (GDW, et al.)

:)

I like the IDEA of this sort of thing, but for me they've always been inaccessible. Nobody to do them with, you see. And nowhere to find anyone. Absolute middle of nowhere, that's where I am.

Even if I could find a group, it wouldnt work. With my chronic pain and nonsensical sleep schedule, I cannot adhere to a preset schedule and even if I fully intend to make it to a given thing on a particular day, well, might wake up and the pain decides otherwise.

I wish there was stuff like this that was, you know, singleplayer.

What I do have is board games, which can indeed be played solo. So that's good.

Yes, yes yes!!

Here is a list of RPG rullsets I own:

• AD&D (Arneson/Gygax/TSR)
BESM (MacKinnon/GOA)
• Cepheus Engine (SPP)
• Firefly/Serenity (Whedon/Weis)
Freefall (Stanley/Frisbee)
• Gamma World (TSR)
• GURPS (SJG)
• Men in Black (WEG)
• Metamorphosis Alpha (TSR)
• Pathfinder (Paizo)
• Paranoia (WEG)
• Shadowrunn (FASA)
• Star Trek (FASA)
• Star Wars (WEG)
• Starfinder (Paizo)
• Stargate (Alderac)
• Traveller (GDW, et al.)

:)
What are the ones in bold?

I like the IDEA of this sort of thing, but for me they've always been inaccessible. Nobody to do them with, you see. And nowhere to find anyone. Absolute middle of nowhere, that's where I am.

Even if I could find a group, it wouldnt work. With my chronic pain and nonsensical sleep schedule, I cannot adhere to a preset schedule and even if I fully intend to make it to a given thing on a particular day, well, might wake up and the pain decides otherwise.

I wish there was stuff like this that was, you know, singleplayer.

What I do have is board games, which can indeed be played solo. So that's good.

There are online sites to play rolegames. In most of them you must play with all the players and the master in real time, but its also possible to play in a delayed mode. Specially if you pay a profesional master and talk about your skedule limitations.

Here is a place for it: Roll20 - Virtual Tabletop for Playing D&D, Pathfinder, Call of Cthulhu, TTRPGs

Also, if you want to try it for free, I can direct a basic adventure here in the forum for you and some others who might be interested.

4 to 10 players works great. I would open a thread in the games section to do the narration. I would describe there whats going on every day and players would PM me their intended actions once per day or something like that.

Just let me know if you are interested.

There are online sites to play rolegames. In most of them you must play with all the players and the master in real time, but its also possible to play in a delayed mode. Specially if you pay a profesional master and talk about your skedule limitations.

Here is a place for it: Roll20 - Virtual Tabletop for Playing D&D, Pathfinder, Call of Cthulhu, TTRPGs

Also, if you want to try it for free, I can direct a basic adventure here in the forum for you and some others who might be interested.

4 to 10 players works great. I would open a thread in the games section to do the narration. I would describe there whats going on every day and players would PM me their intended actions once per day or something like that.

I am interested in an informal game done here. Something you write in your input once every day or two. I know one other person who used to play and will contact them to see if they would be interested.

...if you want to try it for free, I can direct a basic adventure here in the forum for you and some others who might be interested.

Reminds me of Saturnalia:

Sure, I could go for that, that could be fun.

@8crismon

Have you looked at any of the newer "coop" games?

They're not RPGs, and don't try to be.

But some of them "scratch the same itch" for some people. With the big advantage that they take a less time to play. Though of course that's not an advantage of you can easily get a group together for an RPG.

I play Gloomhaven (and the upgrade, Frosthaven).
There might be others that are as good, but we're a couple of hundred playing-hours in, and still enjoying it, so we haven't looked for anything else..

There's also a few older single player D&D type computer games around, I've been playing one of them for 30 years now. I don't like the tiled versions though and prefer the old TTY format.

Yeah, roguelikes are like, my whole thing.

Though oddly, Nethack itself, I absolutely loathe. No offense to anyone who plays it, of course.

As soon as a game starts doing things like item ID systems (which is THE thing that'll kill any game for me, it's my #1 most hated game mechanic) or too many bizarro mechanics that you cannot reasonably hope to discover on your own (like writing that stupid word on the floor in Nethack, I always wondered who was on what drugs when they came up with that one) I usually just lose interest.

@8crismon

But some of them "scratch the same itch" for some people. With the big advantage that they take a less time to play. Though of course that's not an advantage of you can easily get a group together for an RPG.

There might be others that are as good, but we're a couple of hundred playing-hours in, and still enjoying it, so we haven't looked for anything else..

Yes! Coop!

I talk often about my board game hobby, and coop games are the core that it revolves around for me. I'm purely a solo player, other people are never involved, but coop games mean that I can simply control more than one character/whatever at the same time. And heck, that idea would work even with a group. If a game is best with four players, but Bob's car broke down and he just cant make it that night? Someone else can take his part in the game while also playing their own, keeping that perfect count going.

It's such a good hobby, though it can be a bit confusing to sift through games and find just the right ones to try out (and they can be expensive).

Wish I could play Gloomhaven myself, but I'm WAY too disorganized for a campaign game. It does look like a lot of fun though.

@8crismon

What does coop mean?

As soon as a game starts doing things like item ID systems (which is THE thing that'll kill any game for me, it's my #1 most hated game mechanic) or too many bizarro mechanics that you cannot reasonably hope to discover on your own (like writing that stupid word on the floor in Nethack, I always wondered who was on what drugs when they came up with that one) I usually just lose interest.
It was the 80s, they were all probably on drugs. Most of the strange seeming things are references to popular fantasy novels, Elbereth was the elven princess in Lord Of The Rings.

@8crismon

Yes - exactly what @Misery said.

The game I play is designed in a way that's not far from RPG's in principle, but the game itself provides what the combination of a good scenario and a GM does for a tabletop RPG.

It can't replace a really good GM of course, but it does resolve what I think is the biggest issue with the previous generation of highly complex person/team vs person/team board games: it's not necessary for both sides to be exactly equal.
We never found a complex asymmetrical board game that's also balanced between both sides. I'm no longer certain it's possible.

With Gloomhaven, all the people are on the same side., so OFC nobody is unhappy if the monsters in the scenario get soundly beaten, or we find a clever trick. The have the usual emotional resilience of computer game AI's and plastic minis :)

For example we have a player that doesn't like losing (maybe 1 scenario in 10 is ok for them), but wants to follow the rules. This is a huge issue in a non-coop game (inducing skirmishes in the never-ending "purists vs 'winners'" war :), but we just step down the scenario difficulty, and all the players are happy :)

IMO complexity is sufficient without being a chore. Less than e.g. ASL, perhaps mid-range for an RPG (I can't compare accurately though - I haven't played enough RPGs).

Last edited:
but it does resolve what I think is the biggest issue with the previous generation of highly complex person/team vs person/team board games: it's not necessary for both sides to be exactly equal.

Yeah, this is part of what makes these so great in my opinion.

In purely competitive games, variability between players and such tends to either be kinda low, to keep everyone level, or high but everything is all wobbly because of it and you get broken stuff. The more complex, the more difficult it is for the designers.

But in a cooperative game? That doesnt matter too much. The enemy side (or whatever) isnt supposed to be your equal. Usually, they're a lot stronger than the players, and the difficulty can be all over the place depending on what it is. Most coop games have a ton of different bosses or scenarios or whatever with unique screwball rules/setup/mechanics/everything. Players usually have tons of things to pick from as well.

Currently I'm playing a bunch of Aeon's End, which I have all the content for. There is so, so much of it. And it's all so wildly varied, the replay value is excellent.

New Threads

Top Bottom