• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else have comfort items?

for me its not so much an item (although i've always got my music with me too :))

my comfort thing is making sure every thing is organised and every object is in its place, always makes me feel better

i have one object that i'm trying to train myself to use as a trigger, its one of those bead bracelets with a little buddha on it, when i get stressed i look at it and try to realise that i'm getting upset and try to take control rather than continue to get upset

I wish I had something like this, it sounds like a huge help! I think when stressed out, I am driven to change my entire environment - that's when I get crazy with "collections", and having these things around me as a whole makes me feel more controlled and comforted....but it's a very financially self-destructive coping mechanism that I've had to stop.

i have the same problem with collections

yes it makes sense youre not panicking so your body is getting safe chemicals dopamine
Yeah I totally couldn't take outside of my apartment. lol

My phone, even if I'm not using it, makes me feel better when in public. I hold it to my chest.

I wish I had something like this, it sounds like a huge help! I think when stressed out, I am driven to change my entire environment - that's when I get crazy with "collections", and having these things around me as a whole makes me feel more controlled and comforted....but it's a very financially self-destructive coping mechanism that I've had to stop.
What do you mean you change your environment? I never thought about this before, but for some reason unknown to even myself, I completely rearrange my ENTIRE house, every room, closet, etc, at least once per week.
I've actually rearranged everything every other day for weeks trying to make it "feel right".
Is that what you're talking about?

for me its not so much an item (although i've always got my music with me too :))
I have 2 Bluetooth headphones and a corded pair for my iPhone 7+ because I'm listening to music almost constantly, all day and all night. And while I have a ton of music, it's usually the same 1 or 2 songs over and over for hours at a time before I change the song.
This is all day, every day.

I have 2 Bluetooth headphones and a corded pair for my iPhone 7+ because I'm listening to music almost constantly, all day and all night. And while I have a ton of music, it's usually the same 1 or 2 songs over and over for hours at a time before I change the song.
This is all day, every day.

that's where it got problematic for me; its turned into a hobby, i invested in tidal to get cd quality downloads and streaming, then i got into portable dacs and high res headphones...i recognise the playing the same song of over and over, oddly enough it only happens with a new song and then i can also have it playing for days till i kinda goes stale

What do you mean you change your environment? I never thought about this before, but for some reason unknown to even myself, I completely rearrange my ENTIRE house, every room, closet, etc, at least once per week.
I've actually rearranged everything every other day for weeks trying to make it "feel right".
Is that what you're talking about?
Yes, whatever doesn't feel right. Growing up, I'd move the furniture in my room every other year or so - but mainly what decor went up - even if it was just stuff I thumbtacked to the wall. Now in our apartment, I just added some furniture, moved some furniture, then put up lots of beautiful little things - framed items, vases, etc. But also even the books in my shelves, the color schemes of everything - and was all the space perfectly "filled" but not "filled up" - it's like my own internal feng shui or something. All of my colllections of things go into part of the display, at least in my room - having them all arranged and visible to me all help calm me. For me, once I've got a space right, it's right though - I don't think we'll be changing things around. Whenever we next move, I'll start the process over. Until it's all right, I don't feel settled. Once it's all done, it feels very safe and peaceful. It's like the external environment is reflecting my internal world, and I want the external to reflect what is precious to me internally. So every piece or placement of object has hidden symbolic meanings to me, too. It's probably extremely obsessive, but.....it was hard to stop doing it over the past couple of years. A combination of being able to plus too much stress build up plus never allowing myself full reign before.

I see "comfort items" to be a habitual part of being human. Whether or not we accept it, we all have insecurities. Those who are fortunate to have a romantic other habitualize having each other for support, and gradually detract from other items. I still have stuffed animals, a blanket, and music to keep me company. ,

I have a shirt a close friend gave me and I have her rain jacket. It's like she wraps around me and I feel alright. I miss her so much every single day. We had to break up. I love her loads. Always in my heart.

I have a dragon. I don't even like dragons, but this one had a sweet face.
He's very soft, so if I'm terribly upset, I'll cuddle him, but most of the times, he just rests on a shelf & looking at him is enough. This dragon makes me happy.

Magic the Dragon.jpg

I have a whole collection of stuff like that, and I'm 29. I have a plush Mammoth that sits on my desk at work, and the same one on my desk at home. I've got a thing for the faux fur and super soft textures, which the Mammoths have. I also have an 18" bear that I sleep with (because ergonomics, interestingly enough) and hug when I'm particularly upset.

I do have comfort items, I have a old teddy which is the only original toy from my childhood since my original toy collection was actually auctioned off years ago when my father didn't pay the storage but I see my bear as my comfort when I am crying and I hug into it,I actually also consider the dolls I collected after I lost my stuff to be comforting too I like looking at my collection to make me feel better.

Last edited:
I'm 29 too and I still own a plastic toy tiger. I use him as a comfort item at times during periods of worry and unlike many others I don't find his face creepy at all. I named him after myself and pretend he's a living talking toy like in Toy Story (only without it being secret). I also depict him actually talking it a very raspy and growly type of voice. I used to also have a metallic duck (it got donated by accident) which I've used to help me get through the fear of a possible black hole forming from a Genevan experiment back in 2008.

I obviously don't have the duck, and I can't find the tiger anywhere. Pretty disappointing, because I really wanted to post a pic. If I do find him, I'll make a thread about him.

Yes, several things.
My rock collection that I work with putting into the exact positions every time I clean the area, until I am perfectly satisfied. Music is my constant companion. The type depends on what I am doing.
I have a cat pillow I keep in my bed. Sometimes I hug it, sometimes I go to sleep with my head on it or sometimes it is just there beside my pillow.
Since stones are my obsessive collection, I have several small ones that have emotional attachments to them. One in my purse from a loved one. One in my dashboard holder that came from a hospital prayer alter and there is the feel of the energy from a shiva lingam stone I sometimes hold in my hand when I meditate.
Also I keep a small box of special little pieces of jewelry that were my Mom's favourites I can open, look and touch them when I am depressed.

I own a life-size (1:1 scale) Pikachu plush that I sleep with. He helps me fall asleep and cope with nightmares.

I also have many, many imaginary friends.

I have never shared this with anyone before, but I have a favourite stuffed dog that I have had since I was very young and I always take her with me to the doctor and the dentist and therapy and other stressful things. My mum has a service dog and she put one of her dog's service dog vest on my stuffed dog, to make it less awkward in public I guess.
I have considered the possibility of getting a real autism service dog as well, that would help me a great deal.

41AFp+-dNdL._SY355_.jpg

I actually have a Jiji doll that I like to hold when I'm sad about something. I would pick it up and hold him close to me, pretending he is real.

I don't want to sound like a victim of marketing but... a ninja fidget spinner! Previously it has been special pens, notepads, a chinese ornamental watch that I would hold, a pink beenie baby cat and a care bear cousin called bright heart racoon.

And yes, pink kitty is quite real to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom