• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anybody view the 2022 PBS show, 'In a Different Key?'

MROSS

‘In A Different Key’ included perspectives of High Functioning Autism (HFA) such as John Elder Robison, and Valerie Paradiz.

How many people feel that ‘In A Different Key’ will boost progress in better understanding (HFA) who are "not disabled enough, yet not quite able enough" - a difficult part of the Autism Spectrum to understand?

2022 Documentary ‘In A Different Key’ Follows First Person Ever Diagnosed with Autism:

Further Details on ‘In A Different Key’ New documentary 'In A Different Key' follows first person ever diagnosed with autism

Sadly, Don Triplett died this past year. He was from my home state of Mississippi and was very well known and beloved here. He was quite a character who traveled the world by himself and loved to play golf.

Odd that the article states he was the first person diagnosed in 1944, then says he would never have known he was autistic if the documentary crew hadn't come into his life. Downloaded the video but saw the time and had to drive my blind roomate to his doctor appointment. So I watch it after I get back. Still sitting in car ATM

The PBS Newshour has done several informative pieces about autism. It's good that they're helping to educate the public on the subject.

It's been one-year since 'In a Different Key' aired on PBS - what has been the feedback over the past one-year?

'In a Different Key' featured prominent adults on the Autism Spectrum who are largely independent - What are the rather mundane supports occassioanlly necessary for adults who are largely independent?

From my personal experiences, assistance may be necessary from trustworthy advisors on the more complex consumer issues; issues such as transactions involving rental, and pruchasing of property, and even transactions involving the purchasing of motor vehicles. From what I've read, fiduciaries may offer third-party assistance in these transactions. Any advice?

I may begin another 'Autism Forums' discussion-thread to encourage further discussions.

It's been one-year since 'In a Different Key' aired on PBS - what has been the feedback over the past one-year?

'In a Different Key' featured prominent adults on the Autism Spectrum who are largely independent - What are the rather mundane supports occassioanlly necessary for adults who are largely independent?

From my personal experiences, assistance may be necessary from trustworthy advisors on the more complex consumer issues; issues such as transactions involving rental, and pruchasing of property, and even transactions involving the purchasing of motor vehicles. From what I've read, fiduciaries may offer third-party assistance in these transactions. Any advice?

I may begin another 'Autism Forums' discussion-thread to encourage further discussions.
ADDENDUM: The original post mentioned concerns about appropriate supports for adults on the Autism Spectrum who are largely independent - yet most support services are geared towards people with developmental disabilites requiring intensive support services. My experience with such services was very dissapointing.

Did the show 'In a Different Key' also raise awareness of what specific resources are best for adults who are largely independent?

Autism Spectrum who are largely independent - What are the rather mundane supports occassioanlly necessary for adults who are largely independent?

Clearly that will vary case by case. If you need some support, seek it. If you are getting along without support, then you probably don't it. It doesn't seem to make sense to find what is "generally" needed. What matters is what you need.

Clearly that will vary case by case. If you need some support, seek it. If you are getting along without support, then you probably don't it. It doesn't seem to make sense to find what is "generally" needed. What matters is what you need.
There is specific support that is necessary in my case:

EXCERPT of the fowwing paragraph in this disc. thread: From my personal experiences, assistance may be necessary from trustworthy advisors on the more complex consumer issues; issues such as transactions involving rental, and pruchasing of property, and even transactions involving the purchasing of motor vehicles. From what I've read, fiduciaries may offer third-party assistance in these transI'd like to begingactions. Any advice?

I'd like to begin another discussion-thread to continue discussions on experiences, and plans on specific support resources for adults who are largely independent.

^ The above post is a clarification from my previous post. ^

I may begin another 'Autism Forums' discussion-thread on the topic of 'Living Trusts' - a necessity even for adults on the Autism Spectrum who are largely independent e.g., trusted people who will act as advisors on those trickier issues in life (trickier consumer issues were examples in this discussion thread).

**** Updated Content *****

In a nutshell, examples of present-day concerns with 'Living Trusts' involve uncertainies of specific roles, plans, agendas etc. - that is present-day planning must become proactive, to both better understand future roles, and curb present-day concerns of concerned family members, as well as the concerns of adults who are to be served at a future time in accordance a 'Living Trust's' objectives.

Have the producers of 'In a Different Key' been receptive to further discuss best practices - to better understand how to best serve adults who are largely independent?

Last edited:
^ The above post is a clarification from my previous post. ^

I may begin another 'Autism Forums' discussion-thread on the topic of 'Living Trusts' - a necessity even for adults on the Autism Spectrum who are largely independent e.g., trusted people who will act as advisors on those trickier issues in life (trickier consumer issues were examples in this discussion thread).

**** Updated Content *****

In a nutshell, examples of present-day concerns with 'Living Trusts' involve uncertainies of specific roles, plans, agendas etc. - that is present-day planning must become proactive, to both better understand future roles, and curb present-day concerns of concerned family members, as well as the concerns of adults who are to be served at a future time in accordance a 'Living Trust's' objectives.

Have the producers of 'In a Different Key' been receptive to further discuss best practices - to better understand how to best serve adults who are largely independent?
Any feedback on both PBS's 'In a Different Key' and 'living trusts' for adults who are largely indepdendent?

New Threads

Top Bottom