• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any household chores you like?

DogwoodTree

Still here...
I love doing laundry. And with 6 people in the house, there's plenty of it to do. I don't like gathering the dirty laundry, and I'm always glad when the dirty laundry sorting part is done. But I love pushing the loads through the washer and dryer, then sorting, folding, and putting away the clean laundry. Sometimes I'm almost sad when I actually get caught up!

I don't like cleaning the kitchen, but I don't like being in the kitchen when it's dirty, and no one else cleans it as thoroughly as I do.

I can't stand doing yard work. My flower beds are chock full of weeds right now, and I could hardly care less. I like having nice-looking gardens, but not enough to actually get out there and do it.

I love painting rooms. I hate pulling down wallpaper, but I always lose sleep when I'm working on the painting part because I just don't want to stop.

I don't mind sweeping or dusting, but I don't do them nearly as often as I should.

I hate cleaning the bathroom, but I hate having a dirty bathroom, so eventually I get around to it.

I love getting a room cleaned up and decluttered and organized. But I hate filing, so my office space is still really cluttered because I can't get myself to do the filing.

I cannot cope with a dirty house and so, get on with it and listen to music.

LOVE doing laundry too or more to the point, love when the clothes are clean to hang up and then, ironing. My obsession used to be ironing and when I lived in England, I was a professional ironer.

There are only two of us and yet, might as well be a house full of people. Perhaps something to do with hubby being a gardener.

Oh dear, yes, I like looking at pretty gardens and flowers, but that is as far as it goes, much to my husband's deep sadness, with the "romantic" vision of us, in the garden working "together" but most probably at different ends of the garden. I quite simply am not an out door person. I did try to garden and even got obsessed with companion veggie gardening, but got bored and now, couldn't care less, which is a dire attitude. My husband is as passionate about gardening as I am passionate about not liking it. I confess, I like being clean and just hate dirty nails.

I have the most wonderful cooker now, that is at my height and lol gets cleaned every day.

Oh and love washing up. Have a dishwasher, but it rarely gets used; accept for the other night, when we had a few people around, for a fondu.

I have an "indentured servant" to do my bidding :p
She is provided for support 21 hours a week as a part of my independent living waiver provided for my disability.
Housework is a point and she clicks event in my home ;)

I despise all chores but I wish that were not the case.

I was made to do a lot of cleaning as a child (by mentally unstable parents) and routinely scolded for doing a poor job...so I think that's created some negative associations in my mind. I feel incredibly fortunate to be living in a place where hiring a maid once a week is affordable and possible for me.

If anyone has any tips and tricks for enjoying chores more, I'm open to suggestions.

I like washing up but only fresh-dirtied things. Maybe it has something to do with my liking to watch running water (I love to watch flowing rivers).
I dislike cooking and make only simple and quick operations.
I don't mind using a washing machine (things for laundry I sort out at once as they got dirty - I keep two baskets for 'white' laundry and 'street' laundry). But I can forget to hang things for drying at once.
I dislike cleaning the bathroom but I manage to wipe and wash everything as soon as it got dirty after use.
I hate sweeping and dusting - I prefer to have as little surfaces (and small objects) that gather dust on them as possible. I sweep the floor if dust-balls really start to disrupt my inner harmony (to annoy me).
I dislike caring for plants - even to wet them (I forget to do it), keep them neat, cut their twigs, care for their roots and other.
I love to watch gardens but I hate to work outdoors.
Every household chore I can do when I am in the mood to do it - and 'mood' for most of them (sweeping, dusting) happens several times a year.
My landlady is not always happy with me, but if she demands some urgent cleaning from my part - I make myself to do it as soon as possible (I don't want to loose my current living place during 6 years)

I like hand washing dishes, vacuuming, and cleaning sinks and stovetops. But I still have trouble with procrastination, it's hard to transition from one activity to another without wandering off.

I've managed to curb my tendency to deep clean the bathroom on a weekly basis.

OK I found something I can write. I love chores that machinery does the work. Dishwashing machine, the robot vacuum, etc.

I like vacuuming and mowing lawns. Okay, not the noise-part (I wear headphones to block that). I find the physical back and forth pattern, and walking in long circular paths soothing and meditative. And it is easy to see an immediate result.

The way it usually goes for me with chores: I don't like them and I ignore the mess until "purging time."

Purging time is when I go all out and super-thoroughly clean/complete every part of the chore. So if I'm purging my room, everything is uber clean, organized, and put away. Otherwise it looks like a trash heap.

Can't say I really like any chores. When I was a child, I had too many to do because of lazy and dysfunctional parents. I had to change diapers, sweep floors, wash dishes, make beds and even grocery shop. I like cooking, though.

I guess cleaning up and throwing stuff out has a bit of a soothing effect on me sometimes. But I don't know how much of a chore it actually is. But actually going through my stuff and throwing it out has some cleansing quality to it I suppose.

No, I can't say that there are chores that I actually enjoy doing. I find it hard to keep on top of household chores, it has to get quite urgent before I can motivate myself to do them. I resent the fact that they are keeping me from doing other things I want to do and that they tend to be all left to me.

I sometimes like cleaning, just putting things away and finding places to put things in. It is cool to see a room transform as it becomes cleaner, and finding a place for everything that was formerly scattered on the ground becomes an interesting mental challenge. I only like it if it is done on my own schedule with no pressure from family members.

New Threads

Top Bottom