• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any BSD or Linux gurus out there?

wanderer03

Now that I no longer have to do IT for a living, the dormant geek in me is erupting. I've rediscovered OpenBSD and I've always been fascinated with networks and UNIX Operating Systems. I haven't touched OpenBSD since its 2.0 days and now it's at 5.8. Well, the uber geek in me just rolled my own VPLS (Virtual Private LAN Service) using OpenBSD so I can provide tech support to my mom, dad, and brother. Yes, it's sending a cannon to kill a mosquito, i.e. an overkill, but I'm having lots of fun with it.

It's lots of fun to do things like this, especially when if you purchased VPLS service from a provider it would be way out of the common person's price range. I like to be able to easily and securely fire up a remote assistance session over my VPLS (Layer 2 VPN.) No more mucking with firewall settings and getting people to find IP addresses. :) Plus I can backup my family's critical data.

Anyone else out there like to do fun things with BSD or Linux?

I like Linux a lot. I first cut my teeth on Slackware back in 94 and these days I use Debian. :)
I like a mix between GUI and using the CLI.

I like having both GUI and command line too. I simply got X and gnome spun up on OpenBSD. I cut my teeth into the UNIX world with OpenBSD when my college roommate convinced me to ditch Windows 98 in favor of said OS.

Since then I became a fan and always kept one eye on the project. Professionally, I became a Windows Admin but always loathed Windows. Now that I drive a bus for a living, the computer hobbyist in me has come back.

The next learning project is a BGP MPLS VPN. I'm even thinking of writing a technical book. All of this keeps my mind sharp in a more mundane, yet oddly enjoyable career of driving.

I run Antergos (a derivative of Arch) as my primary OS. As a web developer and admin by trade, I've gotten into playing around with virtualization and tools like Vagrant (headless VMs), and Ansible (provisioning). It's bunches of fun. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom