• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

AI opinion

Wendigo20

Aspie wendigo
(This is only for talking and debating) but what do you think of AI'S ? Do think they offer a better future or do they have risk to life here for us and if so how would they get along with nts and nds , and if they are a risk how would they hurt is , please say your opinion down below and thank you for your opinions

You mean artificial intelligences? If so, I believe its all overblown. At least as far as I can see ahead it will always be just more powerful computers as we know them now. Increasingly complex, but just machines with no conciousness. I do not believe people will ever be able to cross the line into creating self awareness in circuits or biochemistry, etc. But is still very dangerous in that people make themselves increasingly dependent upon machines, and machines will always malfunction.

Agreed, massively overblown. I started a doctorate in artificial intelligence (got bored and never finished it!) and work in computers. They really aren't all that. I think people mix up the reality of how advanced we are in coding (ie not very) and films like i-robot and give the Japanese pet puppies more credit than is warranted. AI in today's world is still very procedural and somewhat of an oxymoron, maybe in 100 years or so, but not in my lifetime.

Agreed with @Tom and @Bella Pines - a lot of hype and not enough delivery. We are constantly:
A) Making computers do incredible things (like diagnose cancer and drive cars) that they could never do before.
B) Realizing that we are nowhere near true artificial intelligence.

I don't believe we'll ever have true, self-conscious, self-aware AI. But we'll be gradually replacing more and more human jobs with ever-advancing automation.

You mean artificial intelligences? If so, I believe its all overblown. At least as far as I can see ahead it will always be just more powerful computers as we know them now. Increasingly complex, but just machines with no conciousness. I do not believe people will ever be able to cross the line into creating self awareness in circuits or biochemistry, etc. But is still very dangerous in that people make themselves increasingly dependent upon machines, and machines will always malfunction.

There is an episode of Black Mirror (and several other movies and books which describe this process) in which people that are dying, can upload their brains into the Internet. Scientists already are working on this for real. There are several volunteer studies where humans have had chip implants so that they can be more seamless with the Internet. I don’t know how it works, but apparently some people want that. But truth is stranger than fiction and some day I believe it will be possible to meld artificial intelligence with human attributes.

To try and put things in perspective, as far as I can tell all our computers together are still not as intelligent as an ant. All these machines can only do as programmed as long as supplied with power parts and maintenance. The first event outside its parameters, its done. An ant can seek food, shelter, avoid enemies, defend or run, find its way, etc.
sem-of-ant-holding-a-microchip-1064772.jpg

the steam engine changed humanity, i think ai will too. since about 2013 ai has been increasing in intellagence exponentailly. already, they are better than us in most game, and recently including the game Go, which due to the vastness of the games strategy and technique was a substantail gain.

truth is, we dont know how far this will go. it could just as well easily stop at a certain point, as it could go on and on.

i cant say for certain about “super intelagent ai” or self aware ai, but i think we will reach a point where ai can perform tasks without having to be specifically programed to, or general ai.

you can teach an ai to build a car, or play a game of chess, but those programs are honed specifically to that task. soon, we may have an ai that can perform tasks without having to be directly programed. much like a human being able to do a varaiety of work with intuition. this is general ai, and i think it will be pivitol in human history.

as time goes on, ai is only getting smarter, and so far it is only getting faster. it may very well stop, but what if it doesnt?

To try and put things in perspective, as far as I can tell all our computers together are still not as intelligent as an ant. All these machines can only do as programmed as long as supplied with power parts and maintenance. The first event outside its parameters, its done. An ant can seek food, shelter, avoid enemies, defend or run, find its way, etc.
sem-of-ant-holding-a-microchip-1064772.jpg
I love ants. Wanted to be an entomologist as a child, and still study insects. Thanks for the lovely picture.

I have to echo the sentiment that's already been expressed multiple times in this thread, AI is overblown futurism. I don't think it's necessarily out of the realm of human possibility, I just don't think we're anywhere close.

That being said, there are a lot of interesting moral and ethical considerations regarding a hypothetical sentient AI.

I believe that AI will hit a glass ceiling via the Law of Diminishing Returns. About the only thing good that I can see coming from that discipline is an improvement in human-machine interfaces, especially for the physically disabled.

Human/machine brain interfacing is what I believe can be achieved in time. In my life time, doubtful. Eventually,
yes I think it will happen.
General AI also.
Why not? If a machine can be built to think are we talking something that will be like a zombie?
Functional on it's own but perhaps without emotional feelings?
Does it need this thing we call a soul?
Good questions. How will it effect the human race?
Wait and see if it is accomplished, then you'll know.

Firstly no AI that runs on a computer with current binary arithmetic and traditional programming is capable of thinking for itself and the main danger to us is not whether they decide to do something against us, but whether the programmer has programmed it to unless there's a fault and things go haywire, this could also be a programming error. This traditional technology alone will never be like in the Terminator movies.

Where AI gets really interesting is when they start modelling the neurons of brains and then emulate them on a computer, they have already been emulating part of a bee's brain to fly drones since 2015, the drone acts exactly like a bee's brain because it works the same and it even shows behaviour of the honey bee (see 1st video below), in fact if they emulated the entire brain which they intend to do it would arguably be a bee in every way as far as the brain was concerned, but they could modify it and connect it to what they like. Since the bee population is reduced they could potentially create artificial bees, perhaps even "better" than real bees to pollinate crops. This is quite frightening because it obviously won't stop there and eventually in years to come they could be emulating more complex brains and in many years perhaps even a human, then there will be a question as to what is the difference? Would an artificial human brain have a soul for instance?

Quadcopter drone successful flown by a digital bee brain:

The above is emulating a brain using traditional computer technology, but there is the potential to create a neural network in other ways too and this could be even more potentially dangerous because it could have a mind of it's own and perhaps even turn against us, for instance some scientists have already grown rat neurons on a computer chip in order to fly a simulated aircraft, this gives AI a completely new dimension and it's only partly artificial (see 2nd video below). They have also grown neurons to control various machines and they can even learn like a brain, because it is brain matter, but there are obviously very serious ethical questions because will the grown brain matter ever become conscious and have a soul? Eventually who knows they could be testing with human brain neurons if they're not already, it would probably be outlawed in many countries, but it's unlikely to stop it from going on behind closed doors.

Rat Neurons grown on a computer chip fly a simulated aircraft:
(Sorry about the poor quality.)

Lastly it's in my opinion extremely cruel and I don't agree with it, but scientists have also learned how to control rats using remote control with an attachment to the brain, I won't show that video because to me it's horrid, but computers could be integrated into existing brains to control machines in future too, although this is again only partly artificial. There is a potential for cyborg machines in the future.

Last edited:
I'm amazed by technology and how far it's come. That said I think things will never get to over blown with AI that'll take our lives over all that much.

New Threads

Top Bottom