• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Adjustments at work and/or career changes after diagnosis?

Buzz

Hi :)

Would anyone like to discuss and share what adjustments they have at their workplace?

Also, has anyone decided to change career / industry after diagnosis? I’m in a very people focussed role which I do enjoy and am good at, but also tend to get very burnt out by it. So wondering about a future change in employment one day to something else but I don’t know what yet!

Would be great to see what other people have done and what is working for you.

Thanks!

Buzz

Hi :)

Would anyone like to discuss and share what adjustments they have at their workplace?

Also, has anyone decided to change career / industry after diagnosis? I’m in a very people focussed role which I do enjoy and am good at, but also tend to get very burnt out by it. So wondering about a future change in employment one day to something else but I don’t know what yet!

Would be great to see what other people have done and what is working for you.

Thanks!

Buzz

My take is that I doubt companies would be willing to make the changes required. Personally I'm able to deal with over-stimulation, etc. Though I'd probably arrive home from work a lot fresher than previously, having a quiet room and a pair of headphones isn't really going to cut it. What I would require is the removal of politics, nepotism, gossip, etc. Work would need to be a place where people came in with a positive attitude to work together to achieve something, where people were honest, transparent and acted in good faith. And that ain't gonna happen, so work is a case of managing how much energy I need to spend on the overheads of dealing with NT drama whilst trying to produce something of value.

First, don't make any rush changes. You have to process the diagnosis and think a little bit more without making rush changes. Second, it's always a complicated thing to ask for accommodations. I don't have any because my job is flexible and I can create my own accommodations without having to request them. You're the best judge of how your employers would react, but also think if there are some changes you could make without announcing a diagnosis. Or least let them know when you're certain that that's the right path for you.

Perspective here. You were hired to do a job. A job with a description of duties. You then, entered a contract with your employer agreeing that you are capable and will be able to do those duties. If were able to perform those duties prior to your diagnosis, you are able to perform those duties after your diagnosis.

Reality check: If you were somehow disabled prior to your diagnosis, then you wouldn't have been able to do the job in the first place. The fact that you have a diagnosis now is meaningless because you've already proven you can do the job.

The only time an autism diagnosis may influence things is during the hiring and application process, as well as, what jobs you are seeking. If you have a situation where you need accommodations, then if and when they are provided, it will be part of the original employment conditions.

Typically, any employment accommodations are temporary, such as lifting restrictions due injury or surgery. Mental health accommodations are typically a permanent situation, and frankly, most employers are not going to hire.

Reality check: If you were somehow disabled prior to your diagnosis, then you wouldn't have been able to do the job in the first place. The fact that you have a diagnosis now is meaningless because you've already proven you can do the job.

The only time an autism diagnosis may influence things is during the hiring and application process, as well as, what jobs you are seeking. If you have a situation where you need accommodations, then if and when they are provided, it will be part of the original employment conditions.
Yes and no. The law requires reasonable accommodations, and that can happen after being hired. A person with glaucoma or diabetes could lose their sight after being hired. Any of us could end up in a wheelchair after an accident. The law says that an employer must provide reasonable accommodations.

The main issue is the "reasonable" part. If a person's job is receptionist or cashier, then not having interactions with people is not a reasonable accommodation. However, longer breaks, dimmed lights, or wearing noise reducing earplugs would be reasonable accommodations.

@Buzz Read about the law and talk to advocates before approaching HR.

Edit: I'm referring to US law. Not sure about other countries.

Yes and no. The law requires reasonable accommodations, and that can happen after being hired. A person with glaucoma or diabetes could lose their sight after being hired. Any of us could end up in a wheelchair after an accident. The law says that an employer must provide reasonable accommodations.

The main issue is the "reasonable" part. If a person's job is receptionist or cashier, then not having interactions with people is not a reasonable accommodation. However, longer breaks, dimmed lights, or wearing noise reducing earplugs would be reasonable accommodations.

@Buzz Read about the law and talk to advocates before approaching HR.

Edit: I'm referring to US law. Not sure about other countries.
As I suggested further down in my original post. If, after you are hired, you experience an injury, a debilitating disease, etc. then accommodations may apply here.

In the case of autism, one doesn't suddenly "catch autism", it generally isn't a condition that is suddenly changes someone so they can't work. One can work and fulfill the duties assigned to that position, before and after the diagnosis.

Now, if for some unforeseen reason, the duties of that job change after one is hired, then this is a different situation. If the autistic individual is not able to perform whatever that new responsibility is, then accommodations may be sought, but again, it may put one's employment at risk.

I guess we are saying the same except for one thing. A person with autism can request reasonable accommodations at any time -- before or after being hired. Somebody could decide not to disclose it during the hiring process or a person could be diagnosed after being hired.

In the case of autism, one doesn't suddenly "catch autism", it generally isn't a condition that is suddenly changes someone so they can't work. One can work and fulfill the duties assigned to that position, before and after the diagnosis.
You are absolutely right - however, I want to also throw into the picture that one might be able to perform well at work, but only under extreme stress, and burning out from it. At this point they might e.g. receive an autism diagnosis. Then, in my mind, it should also be reasonable to request future changes (within reason), so that the effort of fulfilling the job requirements doesn't lead to burnout again.

In this scenario, the autism diagnosis isn't really all that relevant though - anyone who experienced burnout at their job could ask their employer for some changes at the workplace. But having received an autism diagnosis and after some reflection time, one could ask for more "autism-related" accomodations, such as dimmed lights, headphones, etc.

There's a side to all this that everyone seems to forget. When you apply for a job the interview is actually a negotiation. The employer is prepared to offer a certain sum of money and they want to know how much they can get for that money. I was always very good at these negotiations. Some employers refused to negotiate and instead tried to play hardball with me, that always ended with me apologising for wasting their time (sarcasm) and walking out.

The reverse of that situation is also true, if you try to play hardball with an employer they're likely to be offended and refuse to deal with you. Making a demand is not negotiation. If you want accommodations from an employer what are you prepared to offer in return? Will things such as dimmed lights improve productivity? If so then an employer will very likely listen to you and negotiate with you.

You get nothing for nothing.

You could make the argument that the accommodations will allow you to do a better job.

It depends on the setting, too. Large organizations and some employers like universities have good accommodation systems. Smaller employers with no large HR departments are more difficult. The law in the US is very clear about accommodations. However, it can be a difficult situation and employers can make employees' life difficult.

I don't think that requesting an accommodation is a demand. It is a right defined by law. I've never requested accommodations but I have figured out my options in case one day I have to do it.

Another idea might be to do the adjustments on your side. If your average time between burnouts is 2 years, then plan around these, make the lifestyle and savings adjustments so you can have 3 months off between jobs (or something). And start going to a therapist if you aren't already, just so you have the documentation just in case you need to end up on disability.

And you never know, in giving yourself "permission" to burn out, you may end up finding that it is more sustainable.

Thanks for the interesting points and ideas everyone. I am in the UK.

Yes I am looking at what I else I can adapt on my side of things as well as perhaps things about the employment environment (rather than the actual job itself). For example I might request more flexible working such as working from home more often, or having a set desk space. I may also see if I can take a pay cut to then be able to book more “holiday” time, or going properly part time one day if I could afford to. I suppose the diagnosis was a trigger for looking at things I struggle with from a new perspective and realising that just “pushing” myself isn’t always the wisest plan. I’m also starting to try and think about future self employment or a career change in a couple of years time so I’m im going to start trying to really work out what does and does not work for me.

Edited to add — I am of course the same person before and after diagnosis. I’m not now saying that I’m unable to perform my job but I am trying to work out how to best manage my health at work. That includes looking at more than just the job description itself.

Last edited:
I’m also starting to try and think about future self employment

Not wishing to put you off, but consider this carefully. There's a lot of positives with being self employed. The biggest, of course, is that you can somewhat sidestep all the politics, gossip, schmoozing, etc. that seems to dominate work in a traditional business. That's no small thing. I'm pretty much aware that being unable to do all that has had a catastrophic effect on my career.

However, being self employed has its issues. Principal amongst those is that you are your own marketing, which means you need to be able to network, get your name known, etc. Unfortunately, at least where I am, the quality of your work doesn't speak for itself. The market is likely to be full of people who are very good at selling, and poor at delivery, and they tend to win the business. It's also stressful in that sick days off cost money, time between contracts is money, the actual cost of the holiday is often dwarfed by the cost of taking time off, etc.

New Threads

Top Bottom