• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Accepting Yourself

Voltaic

Plaidhiker@youtube
As much as I don't like to accept, I am going to have to live with myself a little while longer. I am to myself an inescapable bad room mate.

My room mate doesn't like me all that much. Always going on about how I could be better, yet failing to improve himself. Bringing up my past misdeeds with a screwed perspective, failing to learn and distinguishing good from bad. Hurting me in punishment for not doing better, knowing it wont help anything.

He hopes one day, things will get bad enough where we break apart, never having to put up with each other ever again.

We have been through some rough times, chances are we will be together for quite a while.

We know hating each other will get us nowhere, but the thought of having to coexist prevents us from getting anywhere. It will have to happen. We are going to have to learn to get along

How does one with reason to hate with fury accept another? How would one build a relationship while the other tears it down? how can someone do all this with no hope?

How can I accept myself?

For the who I am to others, to my mother, to my family and friends. For what I have done, failures and success. For who I was, who I am, who I will be.

This seems like a monumental task. So much so I question its possibility and even validity, as if I could but not worth it.

It is time to make a choice.

My advice is to start by wiping the slate clean... of hatred (towards yourself and others) and of expectations. Resign yourself to the fact that at present you're imperfect. It's okay. Try to forgive yourself as well as those who hurt you. Because it doesn't matter: eventually we all die and what we do here, for good and for bad, is of little consequence. Everyone's life is a train wreck. Everyone is both imposed on and imposes, both hurts others and is hurt by them.

Accept yourself as you are now, an imperfect being. Know that you are not alone in this. Allow yourself to be whoever it is that you are, trusting that that is good enough, and then build from there.

Good luck.

It used to help me to realize that hating myself was an opinion. Other people had different opinions.
Also my end goal isn't to like myself. I try to be neutral. It's easier.
If all else fails I try to remember what I would say to my husband or one of the children at work if they were thinking and feeling what I was thinking/feeling.
Sometimes also actively do nice things for yourself. I think that makes it a little harder for your brain to hate you because the two are incompatible.

As much as I don't like to accept, I am going to have to live with myself a little while longer. I am to myself an inescapable bad room mate.

My room mate doesn't like me all that much. Always going on about how I could be better, yet failing to improve himself. Bringing up my past misdeeds with a screwed perspective, failing to learn and distinguishing good from bad. Hurting me in punishment for not doing better, knowing it wont help anything.

He hopes one day, things will get bad enough where we break apart, never having to put up with each other ever again.

We have been through some rough times, chances are we will be together for quite a while.

We know hating each other will get us nowhere, but the thought of having to coexist prevents us from getting anywhere. It will have to happen. We are going to have to learn to get along

How does one with reason to hate with fury accept another? How would one build a relationship while the other tears it down? how can someone do all this with no hope?

How can I accept myself?

For the who I am to others, to my mother, to my family and friends. For what I have done, failures and success. For who I was, who I am, who I will be.

This seems like a monumental task. So much so I question its possibility and even validity, as if I could but not worth it.

It is time to make a choice.

As a caring parent, if you would like my detailed perspective about Autism "Acceptance," including seeing any of our two Autistic sons' most recent desires and needs regarding that, as shown through their actions or words, I feel the information in the link below may be very helpful, as I analyze the concept of Autism acceptance at all angles in that free sample book chapter.

So, although I am no longer selling to the public my latest limited edition self-published work, at our website at the address below (do not put www. at the beginning as an error message could occur). I provide useful information devoted entirely to the topic of Acceptance. See below if interested. Thanks.

aspectrumoflight.wordpress.com

Last edited:
This is very important
If all else fails I try to remember what I would say to my husband or one of the children at work if they were thinking and feeling what I was thinking/feeling.
It is a powerful tool. How would I encourage a loved one if they came to me and opened up about their darkest secrets? There is a very young, weak Voltaic inside of you that needs the adult Voltaic to take their side against the accusations. Be there for them.
No one can encourage you (or tear you apart) like you can.

56eb0fcd835680fa5361e2299d6343d9.jpg

Attachments

• 56eb0fcd835680fa5361e2299d6343d9.jpg
    56eb0fcd835680fa5361e2299d6343d9.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 0

New Threads

Top Bottom