• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A lonely person, maybe I belong here?

Niknak

Hi. I've been lonely as long as I could remember, and always considered peculiar. I have no diagnosis of any kind, other than being weird. I don't even know why I am here other than to scream into the void. I never read fiction as a child, I only wanted to watch discovery channel when it was still documentaries on nature mostly and read books about dinosaurs, meteorology and had a collection of cacti at some point. A multitude of topics which have come and gone since. No one wanted to talk about my interests.

When I was in first grade I realized I had no friends- it was an epiphany for me. My idea of making friends was to walk up and ask someone "do you want to be my friend?" I'm sure you can imagine how that turned out. I was yelled at for being deaf in school because I talked too loudly and didn't understand when people told me things the first time (I had to have them repeat the beginning of the sentence and the rest would come to me at that point).

I wetted the bed until 14 years old and even if somehow someone did want to do a sleepover, I could never go because my mom was afraid I would embarrass her. Anyone who did decide to befriend me stopped talking to me within days to weeks. I said things that made people uncomfortable- I got in trouble one day because i told my sister logically in what order I would expect our family members to pass away based on their current ages, sometime around 8 years old.

I wrote a journal about rabbit genetics at 13 years old, describing many understood crossings of desired genes to achieve a desired phenotype. I crossed into interests regarding fauna of the mesopelagic ocean around that time. I remember getting in trouble in marine biology class because I pointed out that a student's presentation on the mesopelagic was using fauna and flora from the epipelagic zone and that it was not accurate.

At first I loved school. I loved blurting out the answers before my teachers could finish asking the question. I loved the praise, even though I didn't have friends and no one seemed to want to talk to me. Indifference turned to ridicule and I acquired many names- "the walking dictionary" was applied with much derision. I was the "absent-minded professor" (my 6th grade teacher's favorite), the "bookworm", and worse.

School became prison. Teachers didn't even want me to answer questions anymore. I knew everything I needed to know academically all the way through high school, yet was forced to keep my eyes open and participate. Teachers would use me to make students feel bad about their test scores because I slept through class as much as possible but still got the "A".

I had one teacher my entire time in school (7th grade) sit my mother down and tell her she thought something was "off." That I should be evaluated for developmental issues, ADD, or at the very least that I needed gifted classes. My mother told her I was fine and left. My mom lies and says that meeting never took place.

I used to be outgoing, but the repeated rejections and failures have turned me into a scared person. Frightened of rejection, feeling like an impostor. Yearning for intelligent conversation but so scared that in reality, I am an incapable idiot. I go through the motions of interacting with people at work. I give them what they want to avoid confrontation and being called out. I smile at just the right juncture, because I think I should. Repeat the stale small talk I've heard others make. Try to simplify word choices.

My self-image has taken repeated blows and despite my "intelligence," I have tried and failed to get my college degree three times. It is so dull, I can't even force myself to stay and finish. That combined with my crippling, exponentially expanding social anxiety. This has hurt me so much. The one thing I could pride myself on, I question every day. Teachers would talk about my potential, how smart I was.

Here I am at 30 years old, a failure in my own eyes.

My mom abused me frequently and did drugs when she was pregnant with me. She never took me to a dentist and when i went at 18 I had 11 cavities. She lies to this day and says she did take me. Sometimes she oscillates between "yes she did" and that I "was too difficult" because I had to be held down for doctors visits for shots, so it wasn't her fault. She never fostered my interests or tried to help me. She looked the other way, consumed with her own mental disorders. I used to be so mad at her, but now I am older and feel that where she failed to help me, I too failed to help myself. She was, and is, so sick that I can't even be mad.

These are snippets of my awkward, short life. Do I belong?

Welcome! You surely belong somewhere. Maybe this is the place to start, who knows? You get to decide whether this place can offer you what you need, but your story sounds awfully familiar to the experiences of many members on these forums.
Just out of curiosity, are you seeing a therapist of any kind at the moment? With ever-expanding social anxiety and a feeling of having failed, I would strongly urge you to do so, if you haven’t already.

Of course, you do belong. Your story reminds me of mine for several reasons.
Besides I always had average marks except of Art.
I used to be an outgoing person too in my childhood but after the 3rd grade I became more restrained.
Tell me, do you plan to get a diagnosis?

e98e89aacca72fb2ea939f3218664591.png

Welcome! You surely belong somewhere. Maybe this is the place to start, who knows? You get to decide whether this place can offer you what you need, but your story sounds awfully familiar to the experiences of many members on these forums.
Just out of curiosity, are you seeing a therapist of any kind at the moment? With ever-expanding social anxiety and a feeling of having failed, I would strongly urge you to do so, if you haven’t already.
Hi Bolletje, things have recently come to a boiling point for me as I dropped my classes again. Despite having over 100% grade in one of them and an A in the other. I called a therapist earlier today and have an appointment Thursday because right now I feel so sick. Thank you for your concern. <3

Of course, you do belong. Your story reminds me of mine for several reasons.
Besides I always had average marks except of Art.
I used to be an outgoing person too in my childhood but after the 3rd grade I became more restrained.
Tell me, do you plan to get a diagnosis?
Hello. Thanks for making me feel not so strange. I don't know if I should pursue a diagnosis or not. I will be going to a therapist this Thursday mostly for my overwhelming anxiety, and see where it leads me.

Hi ya, Niknak! Welcome. This forum may not be a solution for loneliness but it sure can’t hurt at all. Thank you for joining in. We are glad you are here and we look forward to learning from you.

Welcome, I can see many similarities between your story and mine. Hope you can find some friends and comfort here!

If you want to talk about dinosaurs, meteorology or genetics (I know about dog and a certain snail species but I love to learn!) I won't ignore you!

Sorry about the crap you've been through - I was bullied and abused too.

Welcome Niknak.
Your life story sounds very much like mine in most ways.
Never had abusive home life, bullied in school most definitely.
I was never out going from an infant on up.
I was always ahead of my class also and loved learning about my things that interested me. Dinosaurs were one of my first interests when I was about 4 to 5 years old.
High anxiety and depression ruled.
Somehow I escaped feeling ashamed or less than.
I was me with a like it or not attitude. Defiant with a
don't tell me what to do attitude.
Lonely, yes. The older I get, the worse that feels too.
I think you have a lot to share here.
I've found this a good place and nightly refuge as part of my daily ritual.
Welcome-Animation-DG123290.gif

“they are sharing a drink called loneliness but it is better than drinking alone”
billey joel, piano man

You and I are a lot alike i came from a bad house hold my father did drugs and beat me and my mother most of the time , when was And still am in school i never fit in i lost ever friendship i had anyone that meet me thought i was wired and was not worth being around and I even to this day fear of be reject like you but i also fear of being alone in this world. but I understand where your coming from and I know how you feel , you belong here with us and your always welcome around me , if ya want talk or hang out in the chat room hit me up ill always be here my friend , welcome to ac were happy to have you here

New Threads

Top Bottom