• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

30 and only diagnosed 2 years ago

MWS30

Hi, I'm Matt.

I was diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum (I know the sign up lists aspergers, isn't that no longer used?) 2 years ago by a Psychologist who does autism research.
My whole life I had just assumed I was crazy as I would act out in school (though I don't view it that way: kids would bully me then I'd attack them, they deserved it), I had substance abuse issues which led to a different disorder when I turned 20, and generally I've just been in the dark.

Being diagnosed has been a blessing. I was found to need substantial support so I receive social security disability which is great because work has always been a huge struggle. I'm also understood better by my family which is a relief. People still treat me like **** but that's just the way bullies around town are.

Anyway, I feel as though I am told all the time that perceptually I am flawed, that I misunderstand people's intentions. I don't feel that way at all. In my experience I form an opinion of someone based off of their vibes or whatever as soon as I meet them, and I've never been wrong as far as I can recall. Is this common to feel this way, and what would be great for me, is to find research that backs this up, as I'd like to show it to my parents, well, my dad, who feels I often misunderstand people's intentions.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I'll poke around here and see how it suits me to be here.

upload_2017-5-25_11-30-41.png

Sounds like the same experience I had in school. At least you managed to get diagnosed at 28. I never got diagnosed until I was 45 and some people here have never gotten diagnosed until there late 70's.

hi mws30,welcome to AC.
most HFAs have been or will be diagnosed late,as 'high functioning autism' wasnt really respected as a condition until the eighties and more so the nineties when aspergers syndrome was beginning to be widely used.

just go from here in your 'ASD journey', dont think about the past to much and how an autism diagnosis might have helped-it didnt help me get understood i can tell you that,i was beaten with wooden rulers and very roughly restrained by teachers every day and my lack of speech was put down to being severely disturbed as they couldnt connect with me.
even the special school i went to at 11 didnt understand my severe autism and mild intellectual disability-it was the best thing to have happened in my life and helped me progress somewhat but i got expelled at 15 for severe challenging behavior which is part of my autism and i was never found another school placement by the goverment.

we were all royally screwed over in our pasts,but we can make something of our lives which would be like a big 'f- you' to everyone who has misunderstood us, wrongly judged us or bullied us.

Welcome! It sounds like you "size people up" the same way I do. I love how easy it is to spot a truly kind, warm, and loving person.

Aspergers is no longer under the DSM-V but some places use the ICD-10 which still retains the Aspergers diagnosis.

New Threads

Top Bottom