• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

200 years ago

200 years ago:

• No anesthesia. People undergoing surgery were given a shot of whisky and a strip of leather to bite down on.

• No antibiotics. If you got an infection, your choices included prayer and/or amputation.

• No electricity. Candles, kerosene, and whale-oil were burned for lighting.

• No building codes. Emergency fire exits were almost unheard-of.

• No refrigerators or air-conditioners. Food was either fresh, heavily salted, or dried. People died of heat-stroke in their own homes.

• No Internet, automobiles, computers, televisions, airplanes, video games. You worked more than you played.
Looking at that list, I think I prefer today :)

Autism (In my opinion) is like having red hair and white skin. It’s not created, it just is a normal part of humanity.
Being born autistic is like being born black or Jewish.
The severe co-morbids of ASD2/3 are like sickle cell anemia or Tay-Sachs disease.*
All three genetic conditions (autism, black, Jewish) give one a predisposition to those diseases, but of the three, our severe co-morbids are largely preventable (if not treatable).

*My family has a genetic condition that is, similarly, more common among Vikings.

Last edited:
My pet theory for the types of ASD that see a larger number of neurons in the frontal cortex: the general availability of antibiotics and other medicines means we suffer less from infection which for most of human evolution might have been pretty much chronic. This has led to both a drop in body temperature and resting metabolism, but has also given opportunity for the body to invest more in growth. In some people with genetic predisposition this leads to an abundance of neurons and dense connections in the frontal cortex at cost to connections to other brain areas.

200 years ago (c.1824) slavery was still legal in America. People could be bought and sold by other people, and escaped slaves could be hunted down, captured, and returned to their owners for a cash reward.

Also, women did not have the right to vote, to own real estate, to go to college, or to own their own bodies -- they had no rights other than what was granted to them by their fathers or husbands.

200 years ago, women were slaves in everything but name.

200 years ago (c.1824) slavery was still legal in America. People could be bought and sold by other people, and escaped slaves could be hunted down, captured, and returned to their owners for a cash reward.

Also, women did not have the right to vote, to own real estate, to go to college, or to own their own bodies -- they had no rights other than what was granted to them by their fathers or husbands.

200 years ago, women were slaves in everything but name.
To be clear…..

I’m not implying that life was better for everyone 200 years ago. Women were basically enslaved. It was actually illegal in some places in America to teach a black person to read. And the average life expectancy of a white man was something like 50 years old.

All I’m saying is that someone on the spectrum may have gone un-noticed back then because there would have been plenty of ‘down-time’ due to the lack of technology.

Even when I should get some ‘down-time’ I’m using my phone to post here.

Children who had 'fits', were non-verbal, and who stimmed constantly were likely either sent off to asylums or were locked away in cellars, attics, and back rooms.

The higher-functioning ones were likely beaten regularly, and then cast out as soon as they were old enough to work on their own.

Those of us who were merely 'eccentric' may have done well enough.

Hard to do more than speculate, as ASDs were not recognized back then.

Asylums still had records...
Try accessing them. Many records have not survived . . . floods . . . fires . . . wars . . . or maybe the asylums were simply sold and demolished with their contents, and the properties repurposed.

Try accessing them. Many records have not survived . . . floods . . . fires . . . wars . . . or maybe the asylums were simply sold and demolished with their contents, and the properties repurposed.
If true, that would make your theory conjectural.
Without antibiotics, many such asylums were full of untreated syphilis.
(That is why powdered wigs were a thing...)

Last edited:
I bet that person noticed. Just like all of us who were undiagnosed for many years. We knew all along even though we didn't have the words for it.
What I meant was that my issues went un-noticed for decades. I hid them really well….. most of the time. I was intelligent, strong, etc. I learned at a young age to not talk too much. I had plenty of romantic partners. I was funny (class clown). And I’m told that in my younger days I was envied by other men because of all of these things. (I still don’t believe that, but it’s been said to me by a couple of people).

Take away cell phones, alarm clocks, automobiles, etc. I would maybe just be a farmer. No issues at all. Plenty of downtime. Praying for rain.

Perhaps I would have gone undiagnosed because there weren’t any problems to diagnose.

I sometimes wonder how children with HFA or ADHD were back in the 1940s during WW2. Maybe they "weren't allowed" to be autistic or ADHD, because parents were stricter back then so anything that they thought was "nonsense" probably got tough consequences. But I got spanked a lot as a child but I still misbehaved. So I don't know. I think if I grew up in the 1940s instead of the 1990s I probably would have been sent to an institution or something, even though my ASD symptoms aren't very pronounced, my behaviour still would have gotten me kicked out of mainstream school, just for something like crying.
I had a list of reasons for admission to a mental asylum from that era, and it has very little in common with today's diagnostic range. My mother was born with HFA from her father, and she passed on just one important lesson - avoid getting a diagnosis. No good can come of it, and much harm. She had many superficial relationships, and volunteered at a mental institution to cement her position as "staff," and get tips on how to not become an inmate.

New Threads

Top Bottom